• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

83x anyone? The new Nikon P900 (3 Viewers)

I look forward to finding out how they do... in the meantime, there's a microscope supply company not too far from me which I'll visit to see if they might have a solution. I'm optimistic that we'll find a solution.

Chris

Should get them tomorrow, will report ASAP. I'm sure there's a solution too, just don't know how labor-intensive it will be. |:p|

Looking at your link again, I was amused by the Great Blue w/ catfish shot. I witnessed a GBHE dispatching a similar sized catfish a couple of years ago, but didn't have a camera capable of capturing the event. (do now!)
He caught the fish, then took it to the shore and proceeded to beat it to death, flinging it to the ground and stabbing it with his bill repeatedly. What really surprised me though, was that he took it back out into the water and washed it, (or checked for signs of life?) before he flung it up into the air and swallowed it whole.....with a noticeable bulge that moved slowly down his neck. Great shot, but my favorite's the "pouncing Harrier."

I'm very pleased with the P900 so far. Here's a couple pics from a few days ago, distance was approx 60 yards.

Attachments

• DSCN1509editcut16x12.jpg
    DSCN1509editcut16x12.jpg
    559.4 KB · Views: 619
  • DSCN1510editcut16x12.jpg
    DSCN1510editcut16x12.jpg
    579.7 KB · Views: 475
Should get them tomorrow, will report ASAP. I'm sure there's a solution too, just don't know how labor-intensive it will be. |:p|

Looking at your link again, I was amused by the Great Blue w/ catfish shot. I witnessed a GBHE dispatching a similar sized catfish a couple of years ago, but didn't have a camera capable of capturing the event. (do now!)
He caught the fish, then took it to the shore and proceeded to beat it to death, flinging it to the ground and stabbing it with his bill repeatedly. What really surprised me though, was that he took it back out into the water and washed it, (or checked for signs of life?) before he flung it up into the air and swallowed it whole.....with a noticeable bulge that moved slowly down his neck. Great shot, but my favorite's the "pouncing Harrier."

Thanks for the compliments! The backstory on that shot was that the GBH stole it after an osprey originally had it, but then was attacked by a juvenile bald eagle. It fell into the water, and he/she just scooped it up and flew off to the bank.

Chris

I look forward to finding out how they do... in the meantime, there's a microscope supply company not too far from me which I'll visit to see if they might have a solution. I'm optimistic that we'll find a solution.

Chris
Got the eyepieces today. Love them for my bins but think they're probably not what you want for the camera. The smaller ones do go on the P900's eyepiece, but since it's square and they're round, you'd probably find they wouldn't be secure enough with a lot of use.

If your shopping expedition to the microscope supply store doesn't produce something suitable, you might have to improvise. Seems like a bead of aquarium grade silicone adhesive might do the trick. It would probably be removable, as silicone doesn't adhere very well to many plastics.
If silicone allows too much light entry, you could use a bead of (opaque) dimensional fabric paint instead. It's latex based and non-toxic, unless you're allergic to latex of course. Would be like a little rubber bumper between your glasses and the eyepiece...available at Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc.

Thanks for the compliments! The backstory on that shot was that the GBH stole it after an osprey originally had it, but then was attacked by a juvenile bald eagle. It fell into the water, and he/she just scooped it up and flew off to the bank.

Chris

Thanks for the backstory. I remember when I started birding, how surprised I was to find that Bald Eagles are consummate thieves and scavengers.
A while back a friend and I were atlasing and talked our way into a working municipal dump. I think we had 15 Bald Eagles there, half of which were scrabbling through the refuse with the gulls and grackles. Pretty disconcerting to see this iconic symbol of American greatness hanging out on a garbage heap!

Anth005, Cap'n Crunch....welcome to the P900 club, nice first pics! Hope you'll keep posting photos as you get them, and will let us know what settings you're finding useful.

Waiting for Amazon. Very hard. They still show April 17-22 delivery on my order but no email that they have received stock. I don't think they know and I have no idea what their backlog is. But they still have the best return policy I know and they are also, it looks, holding shipment on the accessories I ordered, xtra batteries, sd card, charger, carry bag, so while I hate the wait, they seem to be doing the right thing to hold charging my accessories until the main thing can ship.

Waiting for Amazon. Very hard. They still show April 17-22 delivery on my order but no email that they have received stock. I don't think they know and I have no idea what their backlog is. But they still have the best return policy I know and they are also, it looks, holding shipment on the accessories I ordered, xtra batteries, sd card, charger, carry bag, so while I hate the wait, they seem to be doing the right thing to hold charging my accessories until the main thing can ship.

Crazy, I feel for ya! I pre-ordered the P900 and was on pins and needles til it shipped. Glad you got in line early, since it seems like more and more people are ordering the camera. At least you have the manual and will be well prepared to make the most of it when it arrives.

I was at my camera dealer's on Thursday, and the Nikon rep happened to be there. He told me that the popularity of the camera has “blown them away”, and he said that they've had to ramp up production to meet the world-wide demand since there are NONE in stock anywhere! Although not very reassuring to you, but he did mention that it's likely that they'll be air-freighted to their distribution center as opposed to coming by " a slow boat from Indonesia" (where they are produced)..

Chris

Got the eyepieces today. Love them for my bins but think they're probably not what you want for the camera. The smaller ones do go on the P900's eyepiece, but since it's square and they're round, you'd probably find they wouldn't be secure enough with a lot of use.

If your shopping expedition to the microscope supply store doesn't produce something suitable, you might have to improvise. Seems like a bead of aquarium grade silicone adhesive might do the trick. It would probably be removable, as silicone doesn't adhere very well to many plastics.
If silicone allows too much light entry, you could use a bead of (opaque) dimensional fabric paint instead. It's latex based and non-toxic, unless you're allergic to latex of course. Would be like a little rubber bumper between your glasses and the eyepiece...available at Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc.

Although the microscope store wasn't much help, I did find and order several telescope eye guards which may work... Found that idea on DP Review since people who own Panasonic super-zoom cameras have the same problem with their EVFs, and the telescope eye guards worked for them.

For as much as I prefer to use the viewfinder, I may succumb to Neil's idea of using a Hoodman Loupe on the LCD since it appears that they have a unique way of fastening on to a camera.

Chris

Last edited:
Hi altogether,

I'm still switching from digiscoping with a scope to a astro-telescop. During my search I saw this little "toy" and thout to me - ok, lets play with it. What should I say - for digiscoper, that works in the range up to 2000mm it could really an alternative. But look by yourself - most of the pictures taken with 2000mm.

regards,
Mario

Attachments

• P900_0001_1.jpg
    P900_0001_1.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 661
  • P900_0006_1.jpg
    P900_0006_1.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 519
  • P900_0008_1.jpg
    P900_0008_1.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 834
  • P900_00023.jpg
    P900_00023.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 608
  • P900_0009.jpg
    P900_0009.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 576
and here some more ..

regards,
Mario

Attachments

• P900_00013_1.jpg
    P900_00013_1.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 298
  • P900_00016_1.jpg
    P900_00016_1.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 243
  • P900_00017_1.jpg
    P900_00017_1.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 230
  • P900_00020.jpg
    P900_00020.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 191
  • P900_00024.jpg
    P900_00024.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 405
A high tide brought most of the migrating shorebirds to the hi tide roost yesterday. Amongst them is one Spoon-billed Sandpiper that had been sighted most days last week - but not by me.
The P900 is a great tool for quickly recording all the birds for reviewing later on the computer. I take a series of stills and then a few seconds of video , a few more stills and then move on until I have covered the whole flock before they get disturbed by a passing raptor.
Here is a typical view as I search for the elusive Spoonie.
https://vimeo.com/125354992
While doing this I came across this Lesser Sandplover showing nice breeding colours, feeding on small insects in the mud.
https://vimeo.com/125354251
I was shooting at or near 2,000 mm the whole day.
Neil.
Mai Po Nature Reserve,
Hong Kong,China.
18th April 2015

Attachments

• sp redshank curlew sand breed MP V2 300PF_DSC1425.jpg
    sp redshank curlew sand breed MP V2 300PF_DSC1425.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 424
  • pac golden plover breed MP P900 DSCN3611.jpg
    pac golden plover breed MP P900 DSCN3611.jpg
    663.4 KB · Views: 366
  • yellow wagtail breed MP P900 DSCN3631.jpg
    yellow wagtail breed MP P900 DSCN3631.jpg
    506.5 KB · Views: 403
Hi altogether,

I'm still switching from digiscoping with a scope to a astro-telescop. During my search I saw this little "toy" and thout to me - ok, lets play with it. What should I say - for digiscoper, that works in the range up to 2000mm it could really an alternative. But look by yourself - most of the pictures taken with 2000mm.

regards,
Mario

Hi Marlo,

Were these shot on a tripod or mono-pod?

Thanks,
Jeff

I was at my camera dealer's on Thursday, and the Nikon rep happened to be there. He told me that the popularity of the camera has “blown them away”, and he said that they've had to ramp up production to meet the world-wide demand since there are NONE in stock anywhere! Although not very reassuring to you, but he did mention that it's likely that they'll be air-freighted to their distribution center as opposed to coming by " a slow boat from Indonesia" (where they are produced)..

Chris

Chris,
That doesn't surprise me as I know 3 people who have one already. We all upgraded from Canon. Miss the Raw but love the 2,000 mm.
Neil.

Although the microscope store wasn't much help, I did find and order several telescope eye guards which may work... Found that idea on DP Review since people who own Panasonic super-zoom cameras have the same problem with their EVFs, and the telescope eye guards worked for them.

For as much as I prefer to use the viewfinder, I may succumb to Neil's idea of using a Hoodman Loupe on the LCD since it appears that they have a unique way of fastening on to a camera.

Chris

That's funny, I just received a Neewer 3x LCD magnifier I ordered a while back. The weather's been too bad to really try it out, but I think I'm going to like it. Not sure how accurate it will be for manual focusing but seems fine for AF.
It has a really large rotatable eyecup that's good for people like me who have light sensitive eyes, and provides a third point of stabilization that helps a little with camera shake.

I knew from user reviews that the adhesive it comes with fails pretty quickly, so I was ready with 3M removable Command Strips. They worked fine, but the LCD had a tendency to open a little from the weight, so after looking up the Hoodman Loupe suggestion I took a cue from that device and made an elastic harness that secures the whole contraption. (thanks, Neil)

The magnification is cool for someone like me with poor vision, but it'll take a little getting used to. The image seems so large, I have to remind myself to zoom in enough to fill the frame. It also makes the whole rig more bulky, so those looking for compactness probably wouldn't like it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back