• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

zeiss sf 10x42 vs swarovski 10x50 (1 Viewer)

Hati

Is there anyone who has experience with the two binoculars? Which gives more pleasing and wider view, with more wow effect and clarity? Is it true that swarovision is sharper than zeiss sf? Thanks!

Is there anyone who has experience with the two binoculars? Which gives more pleasing and wider view, with more wow effect and clarity? Is it true that swarovision is sharper than zeiss sf? Thanks!
I compared those two very carefully. They are both superb but the Swarovski has one big advantage. The Exit Pupil is bigger at 5mm versus 4.2mm for the Zeiss. It makes the Swarovski brighter especially in low light and way more comfortable to use with easier eye placement. A 10x50 binocular given equal quality optics will almost always beat a 10x42. It just has the advantage of the bigger aperture.

Hello,
to compare the pupil diameters is a bit "unfair" as the objective diameter differs with 42 versus 50.
Anyhow, I compared both carefully and the SVAROWSKI EL is a fine 10x50. The viewed object field diameter is larger with the SF, if this is of importnace for you. The ZEISS VICTORY SF 10x42 is as light as my SF 8x42. It has the same weightless feel, the Svaro feels heavy compared to the SF. Image stability is higher with the SF as they are easier to hold. The image is superb on both, the colours are more vivid with the SF and the image of the SF is also far more three- dimensional. Edge sharpness of both is superb as well. To me image-wise the Svaro´s are more similar to the VICTORY´s HT, which have a sharp but flat image without any threedimensionality. The perceived visual brightness at dawn of both was the same (higher transmission in SF vs. larger aperture in SV).
Anyhow, the SF 10x42 will be my next purchase, although the Svarovski cosmetics are very appealing to me. The biggest "Wow" is with the 8x42 SF.

You can´t go wrong with one of the two. Make sure that the focus movement of your choice is smooth and the stiffness is to your like as I have seen lemons from both models (I looked at 3 factory- new of those binoculars each).

Thanks
Michael

Last edited:
Compare them both yourself. The big Swarovski will WOW you way more than the littler Zeiss. On just optics the Swarovski is way ahead of the Zeiss but it is heavier.

Compare them both yourself. The big Swarovski will WOW you way more than the littler Zeiss. On just optics the Swarovski is way ahead of the Zeiss but it is heavier.

Calm down Dennis. These are both fine binos to be sure, but 'way ahead'? No way. More like different strokes for different folks.

Lee

Not quite, I would pick the 10x42 SF any day in the week, better ergo and lower weight. Optics are comparable. But if you prefer a lower amount of CA, the Zeiss SF is the way to go. The 10x50 will of course have som advantage during dusk and dawn, but then you would have to carry the weight all day.

I don't know if the SV 10x50 suffers the glare that the SV 10x42 does, but in that respect the SF is worlds better. Count me as an SF fan over the EL.

Having both, I would stick with the Zeiss SF 10X42 if I could only keep one. Both are excellent but the SF is the more complete package and is better suited for all around general use.

The advantages of the Zeiss SF 10X42 are:
- Lighter weight
- Rearward balance for a more comfortable and steady hold.
- Better focus ergonomics
- CA handling
- Glare handling
- Wider field of view
- Possibly less rolling ball.
- Smoother focus

My primary reason for getting the Swaro is for the better light gathering in the poor light of early morning or late evening and very gloomy days. I do early and late game spotting in the AZ mountains during the summer and use the Swaro for looking over large meadows while braced on the truck window frame. It is a heavy beast with a lot of forward weight pulling downward. This is due to the all of that glass of the objective lenses. As typical of Swaros, it has excellent eyepiece design with just the right length eye cups that make for very easy eye placement when viewing without glasses. It is a joy to use for my purposes. Both have flat field views and retain sharpness almost to the edge. The Swaro goes out a a little more than the SF but the difference is not enough to make any difference.

The Swaro has a larger exit pupil which in theory should make for easier eye placement. In actual use, I see no difference in ease of eye placement due to exit pupil size. Both are well designed and eye placement is quick and natural. According to what I have read here, a person's pupil size is generally less than 3 mm during daylight viewing. The 4.2 exit pupil is more than enough for easy placement and 5 mm is just overkill. I have used both doing some late evening comparisons and did not notice the Swaro being any easier.

Both have excellent optics so one is not going to blow away the other. Technically, the larger objective should give an advantage to the Swaro but if there is a difference, it will be hard to see in field use.

Other than field of view, I consider them optically equivalent which means both are great but not exactly the same. The biggest noticeable different is in color balance. One is not better than the other, just a little different. Both are close to neutral, but the Swaro looks to be a little to the bright blue side and the Zeiss slightly to the yellow green. What gives a better presentation depends on the current lighting, the colors of what is being viewed and the personal preferences of the viewer. Which one looks best can change under different conditions.

Ths SF does handle glare slightly better than the Swaro. There have been certain times when I can detect a very light overall veiling glare with the Swaro that does not appear with the SF. It is very subtle and I suspect many may not pick up on it. It is more noticeable when doing a side by side with a binocular that does not pick it up. I wonder if the more blue color balance amplifies it a little more. I have also noticed that the SF cuts though early morning haze from moisture just a little bit better. I wonder if that is due to the very slight yellow green color cast.

Which one gives the more impressive view can vary under different circumstances but generally speaking, I say it is the SF. A good part is due to the impressive wider FOV. The SF should be a sharper view when using it free hand due to the more steady hold from the lighter weight and rear balance. The glare can be slightly less and CA issues should be less noticeable. I am less aware that I am using a binocular with the SF just due to the weight and balance differences.

If you are primarily after an impressive view, then consider instead a Zeiss SF 8X42. As impressive as the view is from 10X42 SF, it is even more so with the 8X42. This comes mainly from the advantages of a 8X vs. a 10X. The FOV is wider, there is less magnified shake for a sharper easier view, the exit pupils are larger for a brighter view in poor light and the depth of field is greater. The one possible downside the a few people need to consider with the 8X SF is that it tends to show rolling ball more than the 10X.

I do not see any rolling ball with the 10X SF but I do pick up the beginnings of it with the 10X50 Swaro. I have had people use my SF that do pick up rolling ball. Some members have reported it is more obvious in the Swaro 10x42 and some have said just the opposite. We do have one member that brought the Swaro 10x50 but had to return it because of the rolling ball. The conclusion I came to is it more likely to be an issue with the Swaro than the SF, but neither is immune for everybody so be sure and have a return option just in case.

As far as which is sharper, beats me. The resolving power of both either equal or exceed my visual acuity which I think is better than 20/20 but not quite 20/15. Hati, what is your visual acuity? If it is 20/20, then I suspect the resolving power is not relevant, if it is 20/10, then it may be a factor.

I did take the Swaro out last year for a several hour bird walk and it did a fantastic job but I was beat by the time I got back. The weight from just physically carrying it while using a conventional neck strap and then the ongoing repeated effort of holding it steady while viewing was noticeably more fatiguing than doing the same outing with the SF.

I view the Zeiss SF 10X42 as a great all around binocular and the Swaro 10X50 as more of a special purpose choice. Of course this varies between individuals as everyone has their own weighted priorities and personal preferences.

IMG_20170824_185204071 Resized.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back