• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Malaysia III: raptors (2 Viewers)

opisska

rabid twitcher
Czech Republic
After the general warmup provided by the first two editions, let's continue into some specific areas of interest, namely raptors.

1. Kuala Selangor mngroves - White-bellied Sea-eagle? Or even Bonneli's Eagle?

2. By the main road near Panti entrance (close to Kota Tinggi)

3. Panti, close to the end of the "Bunker road"

4. and 5. Taman Negara

Attachments

• aMG_7141.JPG
    aMG_7141.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 32
  • aMG_4535.JPG
    aMG_4535.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 33
  • &_dravci.jpg
    &_dravci.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 52
  • bMG_9238.JPG
    bMG_9238.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 27
  • bMG_9422.JPG
    bMG_9422.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 25
1. WBSE
2. one of the Hawk-eagles - Changeable?
3. Oriental Honey Buzzard
4. Changeable Hawk-eagle?
5. Rufous-bellied Eagle

Oh these are interesing. Just to be sure, near bird no. 3 I also saw this, but I have this down as pretty clear Changeable Hawk Eagle, is that correct? Now I have doubts whether those are sure to be different birds or not ... but the proportions seem quite different, right?

Attachments

• aMG_4379.JPG
    aMG_4379.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 18
I'm pretty sure they're different birds, and yes, I also think the new image is CHE.

The odd thing is that the OHB seems to have 7 fingers.

Oh yeah good catch, the fingers are distressing. Crested Serpent-Eagle then? What else in this range even has 7?

Well neither is a lifer, but OHB would be the only one from the trip (and the trip is already one of our top in terms of species number), so it would be interesting, but definitely nothing critical. I will put it as unclear for now.

I think 3 is not OHB, The dark trailing edge is not good for juv OHB, If it is an adult OHB, it has different pattern of under-wings. also the broader wings. so 3 looks good for CHE.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back