• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding with dslr? (1 Viewer)

Miles Green

I'm new to birding. My little birding experience is with a dslr using a manual focus 400mm f/5.6 and sometimes a (mediocre) 2x TC, bringing me to f/11. I use a tripod & gimbal head in this case, and still end up using the viewfinder, even though it becomes very dark at f/11. But the lens is old and suffers from chromatic aberrations. I got it cheap to see if i like birding. I do! So now it's time to upgrade!

As super-teles (4500 euro +) are out of my reach, i was wondering if anyone is using astronomical scopes with your dslrs, and if you could share some advice. I would like more reach than a 400mm, at the risk of giving up hand-held shooting. I've been reading reviews online but i'm swamped by all the information... I can't even decide what size gear i need.

The main contenders are the following, based on pictures online and reviews. But feel free to redirect me if you think my thinking is flawed, that's why i'm posting here! Starting from the smallest...
- Borg 71 FL (this is a 400 f/5.6 like the one i currently use, only it's fluorite!)
- Tele-vue TV-85 (600 f/7)
- Kowa Prominar lens-scope (95mm: 500mm f/5.6mm)
- Skywatcher ED80 (600mm f/7.5) or ED120 + reducer (900mm f/7.5 x 0.85). Is IQ good for daytime photography and on par with the above? Has anyone used such a monster (120) for birding, or is it too cumbersome to use in practice?

Whichever i decide, a Pentax K5 will be on it 95% of the time. I can also mount a Pentax Q for super-close ups. I'm pretty sure i'd like to avoid digi-scoping with a p&s.

Many thanks for your help and please don't yell at me for for being lost in scope/telescope-land!

Miles

Last edited:
The Kowa lens scope is by far the better choice. Fluorite and ED glass, dual focus AND aperture control.

Thank you for your replies trev and RJM. I am indeed leaning heavily towards to Kowa. Prices are much cheaper in Japan. The 120ED might be much longer, but i'd be completely giving up on handholdability, and mobility will be an issue as well. I'll try to get in touch with Paul Corfield too. :)

I was out birding this morning and found some new lakes in the area. I surprised a hawk in tall grass just a few meters away from me. Unfortunately i was surprised aswell, so i have nothing to show... :(

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back