• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marsh/Willow/Willow/Marsh, UK, Sept 2007 (1 Viewer)

Taken in England yesterday. Never made a sound.

Knock yourselves out.

ps this wasn't in Greater Manchester.

Attachments

• tit01160907.jpg
    tit01160907.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 234
  • tit04160907.jpg
    tit04160907.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 198
  • tit05160907.jpg
    tit05160907.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 248
  • tit07160907.jpg
    tit07160907.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 219
  • tit06160907.jpg
    tit06160907.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 220
It looks like a clear willow tit to me. Bill and cheek seem clinchers, while the warm buffy underparts and loose feathering around the head are good supports. Wing panel can depend on angle, and not all birds have them. This may well be a worn juv so any panel could well be absent.

Where WAS it taken?

Im with Willow, the black cap reaches quite far down the nape and in pic 1 a hint of wing panel is visible. The cheeks are quite buffy which is good for willow.

Looks like Willow Tit. As already been said, big headed, extensive white cheeks and a worn wing panel.
There is also a nice pic of it's bill, which if Marsh would show a vertical white smudge near the base of the upper mandible

Last edited:
Instincts lean me towards Willow, but..but, the bird looks like a juv to me, slight variance of colours in cheek, tail etc. and is that new glossy feather on the crown reflecting light in photos 1 and 2, what do you think? Also for me at least I can see no wing panel. More I look at the photos the easier it becomes to be undecided on Willow, might be my eyesight!!!

Juv marsh and willows (and other tits) completed their body moult a few weeks ago, so they'll have new head and body feathers, but old worn wings, tertials and varying numbers of tail and greater covert feathers. So the head will look fresh (maybe even glossy) while the wing will look worn (and any pale margins would have abraded, if it had much to begin with).

My gut reaction was Willow Tit - largely based on structure and subtlies of plumage. Closer inspection tends to confirm this reaction - an additional pointer is that the outer tail feathers look a bit pale. Never come across Steven Astley's point about the bill - interesting,
John

My gut reaction was Willow Tit - largely based on structure and subtlies of plumage. Closer inspection tends to confirm this reaction - an additional pointer is that the outer tail feathers look a bit pale. Never come across Steven Astley's point about the bill - interesting,
John

The bill thing is mentioned in Svensson for a Swiss population of Marsh Tit, and touted as a species-specific character, but it's not been confirmed in other populations yet. People are looking at it though, and apparently it seems to be solid for British birds too. Willow never seem to show it.

Both marsh and willow have whitish outer margins (and tips when fresh) to the outer tail feathers, so that's not an i.d. character. Length of outer tail feathers relative to the next pair in is a reliable i.d. guide for ringers, but is only useful in fresh birds as the tail quickly abrades.

Glad to see the majority opinion was Willow Tit, as that's what the photos show. All shots taken yesterday at Fairburn Ings RSPB, where I believe a Marsh Tit would be quite a good record (?).

Hi Tom,
Feel free to come over and take pics of one here, where Marsh (one record) or Willow (no records, but a claim in 1995) would be 'quite a good record'...
Regards,
Harry

John

Poecile original pointed it out. Checked through some pics sceptical and it seems a good feature with a good view of bill. Careful though not getting this feature confused with the light catching the bill, especially where the 2 mandibles meet, which often seems stronger at the base of the bill.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back