• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Ultravids coming (2 Viewers)

So Umhh, Jeff...

You must be aware of people asking, wondering, hoping for Leica to produce a 7x32.

Can you, will you, flex your corporate muscles and help grease the skids for this to happen? :t:

Last edited:
And the HD's still have that terrible notchy feel to the focussing wheel. Some things never change :C

I would challange that statement, based on my first hand experience.
I own 2 pair for HDs (which I use continuously - very easy on the eyes) and have used 2 in a store. All four of the HDs are as smooth as silk.

I have owned 4 pair of non HD Ultravids and one pair was a bit resistant (for my prefrence) on the focus and needed to be tuned by Leica.

Last edited:
And the HD's still have that terrible notchy feel to the focussing wheel. Some things never change :C

I cannot comment on that since I don't own one, but I can say that while Swaro EL has a much smoother focus than the Trinovid, Leica with its rough focus is much more likely to stay at the setting where you left it vs. Swaro will always get knocked out of the last setting. So there are pros/cons to a smooth focus with little resistance. I think I like Leica's focus overall better, even with backlash that I have in the older Trinovid. (No idea if present in Ultravids)

As software developers say, it's not a bug, it's a feature.

I have been reading and monitoring the discussions concerning the new Leica Ultravid HD’s with great interest. By the way this is my first post to BF and what a great source of information it is and also very entertaining at times.

I have been a dedicated Leica binocular fan for the last 28 years and was very seriously considering upgrading my Ultravid 8x32 to the HD version when they became available. However after testing them in the “flesh” I have to say I am disappointed (they were slightly brighter, and had slightly improved contrast). At close to £450 premium to the non HDs I cant see the value in the upgrade and against the competition I cant see the high price justification. I have very recently traded my Leica 8x32s for Swaro 8x32 and I must say there is a distinct wow factor to them compared to the Leica 8x32 and the “handling experience” and ease of use is better. Although difficult being a long term Leica fan i have to agree with the recent reviews in Bird Watching of the premium 8x32s which scored the Swaros the highest.

Early on in this thread I said I was saving for HD bins, what actually happened is I bought a pair of 8x32 Trinovids .Things at home changed financially and I just couldn't push the boat out that far . Things may change , for now I am just delighted with the old school 8x32 Trinovids.

Early on in this thread I said I was saving for HD bins, what actually happened is I bought a pair of 8x32 Trinovids .Things at home changed financially and I just couldn't push the boat out that far . Things may change , for now I am just delighted with the old school 8x32 Trinovids.
Congratulations on your new Trinnys, Number6...but tell us, Why DID you resign?;)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back