• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Follow up testing Noctivid (1 Viewer)

My financial advisor often says I should not let the income tax law-tail wag my dog. He means I shouldn't let our income tax laws rule how much cash we draw down from our pension investments.

Seems some of you guys (not getting at you JG as you are far from alone in this) have your choices made for you by a brand's customer service / warranty performance.

We all make our own, sometimes odd, choices when it comes to spending our cash but it seems to me to be really 'putting the cart in front of the horse' to be so dominated by customer service as it stands today when in 5 years or 10 years time it could be different and you might never have a reason to call for customer service support anyway.

Just saying, not criticising.

Lee
Do you folks have required minimum distributions?

Jan,

Swarovski, Zeiss and Viking, bought used, Sightron and Vanguard bought new and an Opticron 7x36 is on its way - I hope.

What conclusions do you draw from that?

Jan,

Swarovski, Zeiss and Viking, bought used, Sightron and Vanguard bought new and an Opticron 7x36 is on its way - I hope.

What conclusions do you draw from that?

My conclusion is that your remark that Swarovski products are below your expectations is in contradiction with the optics you have.

You leave me in confusion.........:-C

Jan

Do you folks have required minimum distributions?

Hi John

I have not heard this term used over here in the UK. In the UK we are allowed a certain amount of income on which we do not have to pay income tax. Above this level we have to pay 20% up to another level after which you pay higher tax. From pension investments there is a certain amount you can draw down without paying tax and when this allowance is used up, subsequent income from the scheme may be subject to tax depending on your total income level.

Lee

Jan

With one Swaro the problem was colour cast, with the two others inadequate eye relief.

I had no intention to hijack this thread, just made a simple statement. I suggest we leave it there.

I could test it against swaro El Fieldpro and zeiss sf
What most impressed me with the N was the ease of view !!!

1. No CA visible.colour cast was warm and very comfortabele short distance focusing.
2. Impression of sharpness was at all 3 on highest level
3. Contrast impression was highest with swaro and Noctivid
4. Focusdrive was very nice and pleasant , quite close to the eyes , but after some time using the bin , one get used to this position
5. No added value seen on presumed 3D effect or DOF
6. At first sight , no big difference with the Leica HD plus on optical performance
7. There is indeed a colourdifference in coating between the 2
8. In general , a quality impression with great ease of view and great colour fidelity

1. Agree
2. Agree
3. Agree
4. Agree
5. Vociferously disagree, but it seems to depend largely on whether you're using 8x or 10x - I have used both.
6. Disagree. I own both the 8X in UVHD+ and NTV: The difference between the two is significant and visceral.
7. Yes!!! And a color difference from the traditional Leica signature. NTV color is beautiful although a little more neutral than we are used to from Leica.
8. Agree

AND:

1. They have the least glare and internal reflections of any binocular I have used.
2. 3D is not Leica Hyperbole in quality, it may be in quantity; and, it may be most noticeable in the 8X.
3. Industrial design and finish is top shelf.
4. The cordura case is the best design yet.

If you are already used to using top bins then its hard to imagine being blown away by the Nvid. Hard to imaging anything coming out that will be considerably or noticeably better than an SF/SV/UVid+/EDG, etc.

Turns out they did it. It's like the 2004 release of the Zeiss Victory FL's.

Tried side-by-side with 8 x 42 SVs the NVs (which I've been using daily since their day of first release) deliver a noticeably better image - slightly brighter, with significantly better contrast and colour fidelity plus absence of veiling glare and rolling globe. They really are a joy to use :t:

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 3.jpg
    FullSizeRender 3.jpg
    547.7 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back