Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Birds and Lighthouse sketch

Old Friday 22nd February 2008, 18:23   #1
Gregory Stender

Birds and Lighthouse sketch

I read the history of this light that was named after a shipwreck (the ship John) in 1797 on then unnamed shoals on our East Coast then drew this sketch. The birds I put in whith it are Canvasback that are North America the largest of our “bay ducks” they are in the class of “diving ducks” and very much like the pochard ducks” of Europe that I am sure some of you here see and paint where you live.

The canvasback duck I see every winter on the coastal bays, they will fly head-on into a full gale and its force will not turn them or even seem to slow them down much. Their flight is with a powerful fast wing-beat. In my minds-eye I see this flight going past this light station in adverse weather but with them they being very much use to it.

I did this sketch some time ago its one that an artist will just “think-on”. I know if I rework this drawing it will probably (and most likely) get stiff and will loose that what it has going for it. I should just call this one complete in my mind, and realize a “sketch” on paper or canvas of a bird in it’s environment is as elusive as the bird itself.

As other artist how do you all know when to stop on a piece you are working on so that it will not have a “over-worked” appearance to it? I guess, as an artist just knowing how easy it is to do is part of it.

`Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7425.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	127241  
Old Saturday 23rd February 2008, 10:19   #2
dryslwyn

I think that it is a smashing drawing- birds and the lighthouse. Are you doing anything new at the moment?
Old Saturday 23rd February 2008, 11:01   #3
Boomer

WOW!

Greg, thanks for sharing that sketch. It sure looks finished to me. I hope that you can post more of your work with birds in it. What a treat!

Ron
Old Saturday 23rd February 2008, 18:26   #4
Gregory Stender

Ron and dryslwyn,

Thanks for the encouragement; right now I am just doing sketches daily and some painting when I get a chance. Carving I am working on a standing ruffed grouse with tail-fanned...yikes what a challenge I am finding in whittling out this bird. ~Greg

My web-log
http://www.surfbirds.com/blog/profiles/stender/
Old Saturday 23rd February 2008, 20:21   #5
peter mathios

Love the cans!! It doesn't look overworked at all.
Old Sunday 24th February 2008, 17:44   #6
nickderry
C'est pas ma faute, je suis anglais.

great sketch, if you add more to it, it will get overworked, however, nothing is stopping you doing a different version on another bit of paper. A lot of movement here, great stuff.
Old Monday 25th February 2008, 05:24   #7
cjoakley

Great drawing Greg...the canvasbacks are superb and I love the way you've shared the story behind the work.

Not sure what anyone else does but once I reach a point where I'm asking the 'is it finished' question I usually put the work aside for a few days and then go back to see if I'm happy with it...

Then I'll tinker only if I know it's necessary - otherwise it's a done deal!
Old Monday 25th February 2008, 09:52   #8
Woody

Hi Greg, bit late saying welcome but welcome anyhow!

That's a really nice drawing with a great storybook character to it. When you think it's finished, then, nine times out of ten, it is! I'm way too guilty of carrying on when I should stop!

Mike
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: