• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 7x42 Ultravid HD+ owners thoughts. (1 Viewer)

Beth-

Glad to see you're back with some Leica glass. You were one of the many that persuaded me on Leica! Hope you like it-curious as to what you are thinking... (?)

Weird...if the plastic cap is covering something at the end of the metal hinge then what is it covering and if the cap isn't actually covering anything then why have it there making the hinge longer than it needs to be. I guess we'll never really know. There has to (or should) be some purpose for it.

It's supposed to be a surprise for when the cap pops open a day after the warranty expires (10 years in Europe), but since you can't wait, Surprise!

<B>

Don't worry about it. It saves weight. It is probably there to get access to the hinge in case it needs to be tightened. It is easier to take it off and replace it than having to chisel off a heavier metal cap to do the work.

If it fits you, you will be happy with it. I have and I still often use the venerable "Brick;"which is the old, heavier Leica Trinovid 7x42 BN. I also have an 8x42 Ultravid Blackline so I can comment about the changes that took place with the Ultravid when it replaced the Trinovid.

The 7x42 Ultravid HD Plus you have is a much lighter weight version of that old Trinovid with modern updated optical coatings that make it brighter and add water repellent coatings. The exterior is redesigned to be smoother and easier to handle. The eye cups are re-designed and are softer with more intermediate stops and the diopter on the focus wheel is easier to use. It keeps its 17mm ER and 8º FOV (420'@1000yds). Basically it is the same binocular but lighter in weight with a more efficient, redesigned exterior and "souped up" optics.

Bob

Last edited:
Weird...if the plastic cap is covering something at the end of the metal hinge then what is it covering and if the cap isn't actually covering anything then why have it there making the hinge longer than it needs to be. I guess we'll never really know. There has to (or should) be some purpose for it.

GiGi
I'm going to guess that the cap at the end of the metal hinge is covering, wait for it (here it comes): the end of the metal hinge!

I am not really pulling your leg, I would think its what we would have called a 'finial' over here many decades ago i.e. a component that has no function other than to give something a 'finished' appearance, and in this case provide a place for the 'made in Germany' statement and cover up what some might think was an unsightly view. It could also provide protection for the hinge from water splash and dust/sand etc.

Lee

Ok, so I had a little time yesterday morning with the Ultravid+ and today I had over 2 hours with it at the park.

In a nutshell I really love it and the 7x42 format is just wonderful for eyeglass wearers. I'm able to see the whole field of view with glasses, so the 17mm ER is enough. The 6mm EP makes eye alignment nice and easy. It's a no fuss, comfortable experience when bringing the bin up to my eyes. This will be very helpful when I need to bring the bino up to my eyes quickly for fast moving birds and in general it's just pleasant.

DOF is very good of course and this also will help with warblers and such where you need to focus quickly on birds in line of sight at different distances. I think the good dof will be helpful. You can get on birds a bit quicker when needed.

The focus wheel turns nicely and is precise , but on my unit there is a very subtle scraping feel and I've heard others say this is common with Leica focusers, but I haven't really noticed this until now. This isn't really a negative, as the focus is fine...it's just a different feel; Tension is good and even...there are no spots which feel looser or have more tension; it's even and fluid. I have no problems with it and it should not stiffen in colder weather.

I like the wider FOV and the overall image is very sharp, typical excellent Leica view with great contrast. It's really beautiful. It's very bright ! When I looked through it for the very first time on Thurs. morning before work (only had 10-15 minutes with it) the sun was out and I thought wow this is almost too bright and I didn't at first see that rich Leica styled view.. But today and yesterday were very overcast days and now I'm seeing that typical view with nice rich colors and contrast. So, 7x42 should be a bit brighter than 8x42 and now with the HT glass the view is very bright in the 7x. In the darker wooded areas where it was very dim today I was able to see good detail in the darkest spots.

Today was perfect to evaluate CA with a white overcast sky. I only test for CA when I first buy a new bin and , if acceptable to me, I never try and look for it again. I don't believe I will ever see CA with this bin when out birding.
I had a hard time finding it today. It is a nice clean image. In the rather large sweet spot I saw none. I only saw strongly backlit branches and no color fringe. I found very minor to my eyes color fringing on the outer edge and had look for it; just a thin line of yellow/green and one time subtle purple at extreme edge. This won't be noticed during normal birding, as it is very minor (barely noticeable) and only near the edges. Overall very nice CA control and I'm thinking the lower magnification may have a bigger hand in this than the updated glass (?). If anyone has the 8x42 plus let us know how CA control is compared to the regular 8x42 HD. Has it improved ?

The rubber armour feels nicer than the Trinovid I used to have. It's smoother and more comfy to hold. The ergonomics are overall nice. The bin is a bit fat and the weight so far is manageable.

That's about it... I like it very much so far.

p.s. Thanks Torview for your review/recommendation of this awesome binocular. It helped me to make the big purchase. :)

Last edited:
Forgot to mention that the view is noticeably steadier compared to 8x. The other day I wanted to see the difference in magnification between 7x and 8x and noticed more shake in the 8x. I didn't think it would be too noticeable , but it is. There is still some shake with 7x of course , but it's definitely a bit steadier which helps make the view more relaxing/calm.

Torview,
In the box I have the neck strap, but no strap to go along with the bino case.
Did yours come with a strap for the case?
I wonder if I can get one which goes with the pouch from Leica or somewhere else if not from them.

GG

Delighted to read how good you find the Leica, I`v little doubt it`ll become your number one choice for most Birding.

No case strap for me either.

Its amazing how shaky 8x feels now after many hours with the 7x, and it never feels lacking in power to me.

I think that "no case strap" is standard. One didn't come with my 8x42 Blackline either. A prong broke off the buckle on it recently. It still stays shut with the one prong that remains though.

Bob

GG

Delighted to read how good you find the Leica, I`v little doubt it`ll become your number one choice for most Birding.

No case strap for me either.

Its amazing how shaky 8x feels now after many hours with the 7x, and it never feels lacking in power to me.

Yep, it will be my primary bin for bird watching.
I still have the Opticron 8x42 which I may sell now since
I just dropped 2400 smackers on the UV. I still like the little
Opticron so not quite sure if I should keep it as a back up or not.
And I still have my 6x30 porro which I use once in a while for low weight
like when I want to go to the park during lunch hour during the work week.
It's easier to bring the little porro ... only 16 or 17 ounces.
Someday down the road a 10x may be a nice option for big fields or the reservoir/lake. But the 7x42 will be pretty much doing it all going forward.

GG

I think you will be happy with it. My first really good binocular was an old Leitz 7x42 Trinovid BA. The old armored version with Uppendahl Prisms. They weren't phase coated but I found out from them how useful and comfortable it was to use a 7x42 roof prism with its big exit pupils and wide FOV. Years later I upgraded it to the newer Leica 7x42 Trinovid BN. Its optics were much better. I still have them both.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leitz-Trino...g-Binoculars-Rare-Green-Version-/380929538333

Bob

GG

I think you will be happy with it. My first really good binocular was an old Leitz 7x42 Trinovid BA. The old armored version with Uppendahl Prisms. They weren't phase coated but I found out from them how useful and comfortable it was to use a 7x42 roof prism with its big exit pupils and wide FOV. Years later I upgraded it to the newer Leica 7x42 Trinovid BN. Its optics were much better. I still have them both.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leitz-Trino...g-Binoculars-Rare-Green-Version-/380929538333

Bob

Thanks Bob. That's an interesting looking bin. I like the green color.
There's something about Leica , their designs and the quality of the image, that I like above the others.

I had a 7x42 around 4 years ago or so; Leupold Cascade and I didn't quite appreciate this format as much back then. At the time I felt I needed an 8x to help me more with IDs. I was struggling more with ID back then and also I didn't wear glasses. As a four-eyes I now appreciate it more.

~ Beth

Last edited:
Good luck, let me know what you end up with. I'd like to get one as well.

Take Care
Bill

So, I called Leica this morning and they said the strap that comes with the binocular can be used on the bino or as a strap for the pouch.
If you need an extra strap it's a whopping 70 bucks. He actually said to check online to find a cheaper one...pretty decent guy, he didn't
try and talk me into their strap. I'm gonna use the strap that came in the box with the pouch. I use a bino-pac harness instead of a neck strap anyway.

Torview,
In the box I have the neck strap, but no strap to go along with the bino case.
Did yours come with a strap for the case?
I wonder if I can get one which goes with the pouch from Leica or somewhere else if not from them.

GG ... Check out the Op/Tech website for a variety of straps in case you decide you want a second strap. I have bought a bunch of their "Classic" neck straps as factory seconds for about half price (approx. $10.00) and I could not figure out why they are rated as seconds.

The Classic comes in different colors so you can color coordinate if you want! :t: I say that in humor, but I actually did coordinate with the binoculars by getting a green for a Swaro and a gray for the Zeiss SF. A red for your new red dot Leica would be perfect. ;)

https://optechusa.com/

GG ... Check out the Op/Tech website for a variety of straps in case you decide you want a second strap. I have bought a bunch of their "Classic" neck straps as factory seconds for about half price (approx. $10.00) and I could not figure out why they are rated as seconds.

The Classic comes in different colors so you can color coordinate if you want! :t: I say that in humor, but I actually did coordinate with the binoculars by getting a green for a Swaro and a gray for the Zeiss SF. A red for your new red dot Leica would be perfect. ;)

https://optechusa.com/

Thanks Bruce. I bought something from Optech once or twice way back...they have a lot of useful stuff in their catalog. I'll use the Leica
strap I got in the box for now , but glad you reminded me of Optech in case I need them in the future.

What focal length would you guys recommend for birding and African Safaris
7 x 42
8.x 42
Or 10.x 42
The reason I ask is I've never used binoculars before but have just been offered a brand new Leica 10 x 42 HD for a really good price
Get a 10x50. You will see way more detail than an 7x or 8x and they are way more comfortable than a 10x42. The bird is BIGGER at 10x. Here is what a bird looks like at 7x and 10x. Which one do you like? At 500 feet the bird is only 50 feet away at 10x. At 7x that bird is over 71 FEET AWAY! That is a lot of difference when you want to see their feather detail and color details. If you just want to see the bird 7x is ok but if you want to really SEE the bird 10x is where it's at.

Attachments

• binocular-magnification.jpg
    binocular-magnification.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 806
Last edited:
Get a 10x50. You will see way more detail than an 7x or 8x and they are way more comfortable than a 10x42. The bird is BIGGER at 10x. Here is what a bird looks like at 7x and 10x. Which one do you like? At 500 feet the bird is only 50 feet away at 10x. At 7x that bird is over 71 FEET AWAY! That is a lot of difference when you want to see their feather detail and color details. If you just want to see the bird 7x is ok but if you want to really SEE the bird 10x is where it's at.

Nah, if you really want to see the bird you need a 12x50 ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back