Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Birding in Southern Spain- Andalucia

Old Saturday 23rd April 2005, 12:16   #1
Ian Robinson

Birding in Southern Spain- Andalucia

My wife and I have just returned from a great short stay just south of Antequerra in Andalucia. What a great place- we saw a number of first time birds- Rock Bunting, Purple Heron, Crested Lark, Black Redstart, Griffon Vulture, Gull billed tern and remade an acquaintance with Flamingos at Fuente del Piedra, although sadly the water levels were low and consequently only about 200 birds were present, accompanied by a black winged stilt.
Of note was a mystery bird that only sang as it was getting dusk with a full bodied in your face song. Difficult to describe but a bit like a Cetti's warbler in character but it wasn't. We caught sight of the bird once and it was thrush sized. It was always in the same place in some scrubland close to houses. Any suggestions gratefully received.
many thanks
Old Saturday 23rd April 2005, 13:46   #2
Julian Sykes Wildlife
Jules Sykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Robinson
My wife and I have just returned from a great short stay just south of Antequerra in Andalucia. What a great place- we saw a number of first time birds- Rock Bunting, Purple Heron, Crested Lark, Black Redstart, Griffon Vulture, Gull billed tern and remade an acquaintance with Flamingos at Fuente del Piedra, although sadly the water levels were low and consequently only about 200 birds were present, accompanied by a black winged stilt.
Of note was a mystery bird that only sang as it was getting dusk with a full bodied in your face song. Difficult to describe but a bit like a Cetti's warbler in character but it wasn't. We caught sight of the bird once and it was thrush sized. It was always in the same place in some scrubland close to houses. Any suggestions gratefully received.
many thanks
Hi Ian
It was probably a Nightingale, they are quite common at this time of year in Spain. Glad you enjoyed your trip.
Old Saturday 23rd April 2005, 14:36   #3
BarbatusOne
Blake Matheson

Sounds like it could be Great Reed Warbler were it not for the habitat.
Old Saturday 23rd April 2005, 16:40   #4
John Butler
Registered Member

I'll go with Jules on this one. Nightingale for me. Strange that you only heard it in the evenings though, they usually sing throughout most of the day at this time of year.
At one site I was at today there were at least six different birds calling at the same time, all within about 150 metres of each other. Only managed to get good views of one of them, though.

Regards from Doņana.

John.

John.

John Butler.
www.donanabirdtours.com

BF Supporter 2006 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 23rd April 2005, 17:39   #5
Ian Robinson

Hi -thanks for the suggestion. We've heared Nightingales at Minsmere in the UK on many occasions and it was not the same song.
Old Saturday 23rd April 2005, 18:16   #6
John Butler
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi -thanks for the suggestion. We've heared Nightingales at Minsmere in the UK on many occasions and it was not the same song.
Ah! but have you ever heard one singing in Spanish before?

Seriously though, Ian. The only other suggestions I would like to make would be an actual Song Thrush or possibly a Rufous-tailed Scrub Robin, which does have a loud song, but is smaller than you have described.

Regards from Doņana.

John.

John.

John Butler.
www.donanabirdtours.com

Old Sunday 24th April 2005, 07:31   #7
Ian Robinson

Hola John
Keep the suggestions coming. I will listen to the birds you suggest. I was bought the excellent DVD set of Birds of Britain & Europe by Paul Doherty and check them out. One further point that my wife remembered was that one evening as we listened to the mystery caller the man who lived next door to the waste area said it sang most evenings but would be gone in August. Presumably its holiday comes to an end then and it returns home.

Last edited by Ian Robinson : Sunday 24th April 2005 at 07:38.
Old Sunday 24th April 2005, 11:23   #8
Ian Robinson

Hi John and Jules- well time to eat humble Paella!
Having listened to the Birds dvd you were both right first time- it was definitely a Nightingale. Thank you everyone for your observations- what a great site this is.
many regards
Ian
Old Sunday 24th April 2005, 11:38   #9
Julian Sykes Wildlife
Jules Sykes

Quote:
Having listened to the Birds dvd you were both right first time- it was definitely a Nightingale. Thank you everyone for your observations- what a great site this is.
many regards
Ian
Not at all,
but as John said earlier they usually sing all the time and can be visible. On the local patch we have an incredibly showy one that sits on the top of a dead tree in broad daylight. Took a visiting birding friend out there yesterday morning and he couldn't believe his eyes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nightingale.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	19868  
Old Sunday 24th April 2005, 16:03   #10
John Butler
Registered Member

Quote:
many regards
Ian
Hi again Ian.

Nightingales can be very varied as far as their songs go. Once again today we had at least three calling close-by and they all seemed to be reading from a different song-sheet.

Regards from Doņana.

John.

John.

John Butler.
www.donanabirdtours.com

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: