• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Attracting woodpeckers (1 Viewer)

will562

Hi

We already have a good variety of garden birds visiting, and i know there are woodpeckers around as they have been in our garden before. Just wondering what other people's experience has been with attracting woodpeckeckers and what feeders/food works best?

Thanks

Will

Hi

We already have a good variety of garden birds visiting, and i know there are woodpeckers around as they have been in our garden before. Just wondering what other people's experience has been with attracting woodpeckeckers and what feeders/food works best?

Thanks

Will

Hi Will,

Can't speak for the UK, but here in the US woodpeckers were always on the suet feeders.
They will take sunflower hearts and peanuts, but suet is preferred imho.
I suspect that if someone had the inclination to set up an active live mealworm feeder, they would get every woodpecker in the county, but these might have to duke it out with the rest of the local birds for a place in the queue.

I have a boatload of different woodpeckers and they all love the suet feeders. I use a hot pepper variety which the squirrels don't touch but the birds love them.

The Green Woodpeckers here tend to eat ants from the lawn. The Great Spotted Woodpeckers are particularly fond of peanuts in a metal mesh holder.

Attachments

• GSW.jpg
    GSW.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 201
I put out a seed and berry mix that has brought an abundance of woodpeckers to my backyard. Not sure if they have anything like this around you...But the Red-breasted Woodpeckers and the Downy Woodpecker love this along with many more birds that are harder to attract to ones backyard with typical bird seed. Blue Jays, Tufted Titmouse as well...
http://reviews.tractorsupply.com/05...t-nut-bird-food-mix-15-lb-reviews/reviews.htm

I also have them feeding on "Bluebird Nuggets Plus" which was bought due to the store being out of peanuts. I find this brings more song birds into the yard as well as the Downy Woodpecker has been fond of it for some time. The Red-Breasted Woodpecker never made an appearance until the fruit and seed mix was added to the backyard.

Bluebird Nugget Plus has Suet,roasted peanuts and raisins. Which I put in a peanut metal feeder that has holes all over it.
http://www.suetstore.com/blnup.html

Having only recently installed a Niger feeder which has attracted previously unseen Goldfinches into my garden I was surprised to see a huge one land on the feeder. It was a woodpecker, not seen here since the 1970s.

He didn't stop long but I was struck by the similarity in plumage, which I'd never noticed before. Now I just have to find a way to get him back.

The Green Woodpeckers here tend to eat ants from the lawn. The Great Spotted Woodpeckers are particularly fond of peanuts in a metal mesh holder.

I have that same feeder, and have never had a GSW near it.

The squirrel loves it however :-O

Thanks for all the replies, my suet feeders finally arrived and i've got a variety of suet cakes up which the blue and great tits are enjoying but no joy with any woodpeckers, although they only went up yesterday. Oh as i'm typing one's just landed in our tree :)

WHich suet feeder did you get?

Hi, well I love the Droll Yankee's products as they are quality and come with lifetime warranty. I had seen they do a stainless steel suet cake holder on their website but couldn't find any over here in England unless I bought from USA through ebay and paid ridiculous postage and packaging. But a company in England very kindly ordered me some direct from Droll Yankees and luckily they were just putting their order in with them, they were very reasonably priced as well!

Yes i could have gone for one in our shops but I didn't. As they were cheap i bought two and linked them together with stainless steel carbine clips.

Still no woodpeckers and I have a Nuthatch that keeps landing in the tree in my garden but flying on to next doors bird table :(

The tits are all over them though so hopefully I will get some woodpeckers soon as they keep landing in the tree as well.

Attachments

• IMG_8449.jpg
    IMG_8449.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_8451.jpg
    IMG_8451.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_8460.jpg
    IMG_8460.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_8464.jpg
    IMG_8464.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 142
Hi Will,

Can't speak for the UK, but here in the US woodpeckers were always on the suet feeders.
They will take sunflower hearts and peanuts, but suet is preferred imho.
I suspect that if someone had the inclination to set up an active live mealworm feeder, they would get every woodpecker in the county, but these might have to duke it out with the rest of the local birds for a place in the queue.
Interesting comment regarding meal worms. I've tried re-hydrated freeze dried ones with zero success. I'll have try to get some live ones. Suet and peanut butter work well for woodpeckers. I'd like to put some out here but the forest rangers consider that feeding bears (I'm presently in Florida). There are lots of Red-bellied and Pileated around. The Red-bellied will come to sunflower seeds but the Pileated don't seem interested in feeders.

Hi, well I love the Droll Yankee's products as they are quality and come with lifetime warranty. I had seen they do a stainless steel suet cake holder on their website but couldn't find any over here in England unless I bought from USA through ebay and paid ridiculous postage and packaging. But a company in England very kindly ordered me some direct from Droll Yankees and luckily they were just putting their order in with them, they were very reasonably priced as well!

Yes i could have gone for one in our shops but I didn't. As they were cheap i bought two and linked them together with stainless steel carbine clips.

Still no woodpeckers and I have a Nuthatch that keeps landing in the tree in my garden but flying on to next doors bird table :(

The tits are all over them though so hopefully I will get some woodpeckers soon as they keep landing in the tree as well.

Success! Had a woodpecker on the suet today, and almost got a photo too but it was scared off by next doors cat. Hopefully will be back soon.

He's been back today, spent about 10 mins on the feeder and destroyed one corner of the suet cake. Also you can see why I got two feeders as I think one wouldn't be big enough, although I'm sure they would cope ok with one. Sorry about the poor picture quality, zoomed right in from the bedroom window.

Attachments

• IMG_8568.jpg
    IMG_8568.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_8577.jpg
    IMG_8577.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 154
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back