• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How close? (1 Viewer)

Talon 1

Can you put or how far should i say can you put a nestbox from each other. If an open box is in one tree 20 ft up could you get off with one 10ft lower down?
And on the side of the house could you get away with one at one end of the wall and one at the other ...Say 30ft?

I am Putting up nest boxes now for next year and just wondering? B :)

Hi Free

It's hard to say as it depends which species you are trying to attract. Hole sze and open box etc?

I find that the Tit family are very stict when it comes to nest boxes being to close. I would say no to them using same tree wether it be a G Tit ot B Tit.

Robins are the same, the nearest I have had them nesting to one another is approx 90ft in a clear line of sight but I am sure that nests out of direct sight of each other can be closer. No doubt others will have different experiences.

I would, if finances allow, put up several all over as it allows the birds a choice of box. They are never really wasted as the can also choose different boxes for winter roosting. If they do use them for roosting I have found that they are not as bothered about being close. In my garden a B Tit and a G Tit use seperate boxes about 50ft away from each other in a clear line of sight.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hi Free

There's always a chance that both boxes will be occupied (if you are talking about open-fronted), but not necessarily by the same species.

Stephen's advice is good - giving a choice really does help. Although my local Tits don't adhere to territory rules! This year two different pairs nested in a House Sparrow Terrace and a standard 25mm hole Tit box within metres of each other - about 10m in fact on the same garage wall. After posting on BF I also heard of this happening to others (some even in the same colonial box meant for House Sparrows). It might be because of lack of natural nesting sites or because more young survived in 2004 (there was a baby boom), but who knows.

If they're Tit boxes it might be possible, but with Robins I think it's unlikely they'll both be occupied (well, both by Robins at least).

And what about boxes on the sides of your house.its a catch 22 i think as although safe from cats its viewable by Magpies etc.
I am planning to put 4 on the house this year.

Hi Free

I really would put up as many as you and your neighbours can stand as you will get to know which ones are the most popular which then leaves you with options of whether to take the unused ones down or move them around.

Free said:
And what about boxes on the sides of your house.its a catch 22 i think as although safe from cats its viewable by Magpies etc.
I am planning to put 4 on the house this year.
If sparrow boxes then they're ideal for house walls.

We have two Tit boxes on the wall about 12' apart. Both get used. We have only ever had one Starling show an interest in the boxes and as the holes are so small and the box fairly deep, there was no problem. Magpies don't stand a chance with a nest box as they can't grip the sides and are too big to get their heads in.

If close to a woodland area then Great Spotted Woodpecker may be a problem as they'll chisel out the hole so they can reach the young. Metal nest hole protectors can be bought if this is likely to be an issue - not to expensive and they last a lifetime.

With open fronted ones I tend to hide them in shrub bushes rather than in the open or on walls. I don't think they are any more at risk than birds building natural nests. Our Magpies/Crows/Starlings seem to perch at high points and watch where the birds take food and then investigate once the parents leave. That's life I guess and it doesn't help when placing too many boxes in one location as it makes the garden a convenient place to hunt as if Sparrowhawks didn't take enough advantage already.

Boxes with holes or open fronted ones hidden may be the best policy.

Putting boxes up now may attract a few birds to roost over winter. Realy though all boxes should be cleaned out in March/early April to remove mites. I'd even reserve a few boxes to put up at the beginning of April. Previously I've put up boxes at 17:00hrs on 6th April and had Blue Tits investigating and then nest building an hour later!

I have at the moment. One open box 20ft up in a conifer and a tit box 12 ft up. In another tree a Tit box about 15ft up.
On the east facing house wall a open faced box and on the North facing wall 2 tit boxes about 50ft apart.

I also have a half open box facing West but protected from the SW winds at only about 5 ft up.
None on the front of the house as i feel they would be subjected to our common s/w winds being it faces West.

I am in two minds whether to try and put in more or think thats enough. They are all up now as i feel that birds will have plenty of time to see them.
Opposite the house i have had two sparrows nests in a bush and two in the loft hence my saturation of sparrows posts , so i am hoping these will attract more finches in.
I really don't need any more sparrows nests i am saturated by them.

Have i put enough up. I have about an acre garden.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back