• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica BA or BN (1 Viewer)

dries1

I am thinking of obtaining one of these in either 10X42 or 8X42 and was wondering.
Do the eyecups unscrew for removal, if so, will Leica provide/sell any of these.

Andy W.

Yes, they uncrew both in the BA and BN. Whether Leica USA keep them in stock is another question. When they were marketed with a 30 year guarantee, the policy then was that spares would be available for that period of time.

Thanks Pyrtle, the eyecups look like they would last a lifetime, but just checking; if I find a good sample, lens, prisms, armor, mechanics, etc., and the eye-cups need to be replaced (if Leica were to have them), then it is an option.

Andy W.

Thanks Pyrtle, the eyecups look like they would last a lifetime, but just checking; if I find a good sample, lens, prisms, armor, mechanics, etc., and the eye-cups need to be replaced (if Leica were to have them), then it is an option.

Andy W.

Hope you find a good one Andy.

Lee

Lee,

Thanks, but still looking for a good value. While searching I stumbled on this archived Trinovid (40009) made from 2012-2015?, not sure, but it appears to be a very well built glass and using it under gray/ rainy cloudy conditions it performed very well. To my eyes it is a step up from the Ultravid BR and about the same as the HD, however this is comparing it to a 8X42 UVHD.

A nice portable 10X glass with great optics. Some have said it does not have the HD view but to my eyes it is a 10X42 that is bright, and provides great contrast and resolution - in the Leica way. It is a well constructed glass and if I stumble on a 8X42 I would get one in a heartbeat.

Shown next to the Nikon HG/LX 10X42 for scale, another long archived glass I still use, and enjoy the immersive views.

Andy W.

Attachments

• DSCF5135.jpg
    DSCF5135.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCF5133.jpg
    DSCF5133.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 124
I am thinking of obtaining one of these in either 10X42 or 8X42 and was wondering.
Do the eyecups unscrew for removal, if so, will Leica provide/sell any of these.

Andy W.

Andy,

Reference the title of your thread herein: "Leica BA or BN."

Are you talking about the recently made lower priced Trinovids or the old model Trinovid BAs and BNs?

As far as I can tell the eye cups don't come off my Original Leica 7x42 Trinovid BN. Nothing in the manual that came with it addresses the issue and I haven't tried to unscrew them.

Bob

Last edited:
Andy,

Reference the title of your thread herein: "Leica BA or BN."

Are you talking about the recently made lower priced Trinovids or the old model Trinovid BAs and BNs?

As far as I can tell they don't come off my Original Leica 7x42 Trinovid BN. Nothing in the manual that came with it addresses the issue and I haven't tried to unscrew them.

Bob

Bob, in his last post Andy was talking about the model in between the older BA/BN and the new lower priced Trinovid HD. He's talking about the Trinovid made between 2012-2015. It does get very confusing when that model doesn't have any letter designation (BN, BA, HD) and is just known as the Trinovid, especially as it was only around for such a relatively short time. On that model at least, the eye cups pull off from their point of maximum extension, just like the eyecups on the Ultravid.

Last edited:
While searching I stumbled on this archived Trinovid (40009) made from 2012-2015?, not sure, but it appears to be a very well built glass and using it under gray/ rainy cloudy conditions it performed very well.
Andy,
I agree; I have 8x42 UV BR, Trinovid 40008, and UV HD+, and I would rank them in that order, bottom to top. All three are excellent binos, in my opinion, giving bright, sharp, easy views.
I wish the 40008/40009 Trinovids were still available.
John

Okay, my answer was in relation to the bombproof heavy but fantastic Trinovid BA/BN; they had the raised ridges rubber armour running the length of the body. Produced I'd guess from late 1980s through to the first Ultravid. Was referring to the code in the O.P. but appears this was not the model in question.
Ceasar - your model should have the eyecup that can be unscrewed for cleaning or replacing. The 7 x 42 BN is still a brilliant bino. but you already know that.
Regards,
Pyrtle

Last edited:
Hi Pyrtle,

Re: Removing the eye cups on the Trinovid BA/BN's.

There is a slight "ratcheting" effect in one of the eye cups on my 7x42 Trinovid BN when I gently try to turn it. I am leery of trying to turn it further. The other eye cup won't move at all.

Bob

These are my 26 year old 10x42BA. As far as I know the eyecups can't be unscrewed but the rubber eyecup covers can be pulled off.

Attachments

• 10x42BA.jpg
    10x42BA.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 159
Yes, an anti clockwise turn on the eyecup when raised, would start the unscrewing process. The engineer's used to lubricate with a PTFE type grease. Best to leave well alone I feel, but useful to know I hope.

Richard, thanks for the photo, these were the range I was referring to. The whole of the push up / down eyecup can be unscrewed.

Last edited:
Sorry for the thread migration. The Eye cups on the 40009 (2012-2015) pull out as per the manual, I take it that the UV models are the same.

I was just curious about the BA and BN earlier model {(BA 1990 - 2000) BN (2000-2007) From Allbinos}, if the eye-cups needed to be removed. It is likely that any grease lubricant is dried out and could act like locktite, preventing removal after 20-30 years.

Now I am also looking for a 40008 8X42

Andy W.

Yes, an anti clockwise turn on the eyecup when raised, would start the unscrewing process. The engineer's used to lubricate with a PTFE type grease. Best to leave well alone I feel, but useful to know I hope.

Richard, thanks for the photo, these were the range I was referring to. The whole of the push up / down eyecup can be unscrewed.

The eyecups of the old Trinovid Ultra BA/BN (that preceded the Ultravid series) can be removed by unscrewing them? This is news to me. I've never done so, but I did try out of curiosity a few times and didn't get them to budge. I've read that only a repair technician can take these eyecups off. If they were easy to remove, they could be swapped between units, which would also swap the serial numbers (since the numbers are printed on the eyecup tube)!

--AP

I'm really surprised that this is a revelation to some. I worked for an optics retailer from 2002 throughout to 2010. We routinely used to hold a stock of 32mm and 42mm complete eyecups and changed or sold them as required.
My own 8x32BN and 10x42BA used to benefit from the occasional removal, blow out and very gentle clean of the eyecup, they could trap grains of sand.
From memory the little users booklet also described how to do this as well as set the focus wheel diopter.
There used to be a member on here who was a Leica UK service engineer based at Milton Keynes who could probably confirm this. He wrote a little book on the previous model Trinovids ( rubber fold down eyecups ) before he moved onto Carl Zeiss UK as their service technician. I think he moved to Norfolk and still repairs/services these types of optics and probably older models.

Last edited:
I'm really surprised that this is a revelation to some. I worked for an optics retailer from 2002 throughout to 2010. We routinely used to hold a stock of 32mm and 42mm complete eyecups and changed or sold them as required.
My own 8x32BN and 10x42BA used to benefit from the occasional removal, blow out and very gentle clean of the eyecup, they could trap grains of sand.
From memory the little users booklet also described how to do this as well as set the focus wheel diopter.
There used to be a member on here who was a Leica UK service engineer based at Milton Keynes who could probably confirm this. He wrote a little book on the previous model Trinovids ( rubber fold down eyecups ) before he moved onto Carl Zeiss UK as their service technician. I think he moved to Norfolk and still repairs/services these types of optics and probably older models.

No, it isn't described in the user manual, and see post #13 by garymh in this thread, where he says no.
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=45777
Or post #2 here: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=211192

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back