• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Purple Heron - where to find in south Andalucia? (1 Viewer)

Trik

www.trikimages.co.uk Wildlife photography
We are hoping to return to Andalucia in early Spring next year and Purple Heron is high on our wish list. Can anyone suggest the most likely place/s to find them in south Andalucia, and the best months, please?

Many thanks.

PS : I had posted this query in Information Wanted before I realised that this board existed. Apologies for that, but I couldn't find how to delete that one.

Last edited:
There's a large number of sites you might try - far too many to suggest individually so I suggest you go to E-bird - https://ebird.org - check under Purple Heron & Andalucia. You can then zoom into the map to see the hotspots where it is most likely to be found (.g. Brazo del Este south of Seville)

Last edited:
Thanks for the link to ebird.org, John. I searched as you suggested but got a bit muddled by all the purple rectangles! I'll have a longer, closer look tomorrow and I might be able to pick out more details then.

Thanks again.

If you go to E-bird 'Explore' and type in Purple Heron under species and then specify 'Andalucia' under place you should find that as you zoom in the map resolves itself into a series of blue and red markers showing where the species has been reported (red = 'hotspots' which will have more frequent reports). Failing this try clicking on https://ebird.org/map/purher1?neg=t...mr=1-12&bmo=1&emo=12&yr=all&byr=1900&eyr=2018 which should take you straight to a map centred on Cadiz (if it works!) from which you should be able to search across Andalucia. Incidentally, if your plans include a visit to Cadiz province then do PM me for my site guide to the area.

Last edited:
Just tick the box "Show Points Sooner" on the right side of the screen, and the map will display points at broader scales when possible (2000 points max)

Thanks for the link to ebird.org, John. I searched as you suggested but got a bit muddled by all the purple rectangles! I'll have a longer, closer look tomorrow and I might be able to pick out more details then.

Thanks again.

That's a good tip, Fernando - it means a lot less scrolling! Thank you.

Hi. I will be a bit more specific: try the northern side /bank of Doñana. You will see lots of them since early spring, specially near the main visitor centre. I attach one of my pictures there last March. Good luck

Attachments

• purple heron in andalucia spain.jpg
    purple heron in andalucia spain.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 43
You likely already have gone on your trip, but I agree with Donana. Just took this pic on April 21 at the La Rocina visitor center just outside of El Rocio. Fairly easy to get good viewings - lots of blinds set up around the lagoons.

Attachments

• 2019-04-29_11-11-52.jpg
    2019-04-29_11-11-52.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 19
Thank you both for the tips. We were going to try Tablas de Daimiel but, unfortunately, had to cancel and then our guide in Andalucia was unable to accommodate us later on due to other commitments. Maybe next year....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back