• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica USA Service (1 Viewer)

dries1

I know this topic/thread has some history, but has anyone here in the US sent their Leicas/Leitz glass recently to Leica Germany for service. Additionally are there any recent good news regarding Leica USA Service.

Andy W.

Yes Gr8ful Doug from Cameraland posted a glowing reference only yesterday. You should be able to view it under one of the subgroups or his username. It has the contact numbers as well.
P

Yes Gr8ful Doug from Cameraland posted a glowing reference only yesterday. You should be able to view it under one of the subgroups or his username. It has the contact numbers as well.
P

It is in the "Retailers and Dealers Offers" Forum.

Bob

Last edited:
Additionally are there any recent good news regarding Leica USA Service.
Andy W.

In April I sent my UV 8x20 BR to Leica USA for repair. An unfortunate impact had rendered the focus mechanism inoperative, and the same event left a deep scar on one ocular surface. Leica repaired the focus mechanism, replaced the damaged ocular, and sent the bino back to me in June, at no cost except for shipping. Outstanding service, in my opinion!

John

With the mix of reports about service, has anyone had better luck by contacting someone specific in the Leica service department?

There is another post running parallel to this that has the relevant contact details and procedure for repairs and servicing for Leica USA.

There is another post running parallel to this that has the relevant contact details and procedure for repairs and servicing for Leica USA.

I must not be finding the correct thread as the Leica email contact I used was bounced back as undeliverable.

What is that thread that you’re referencing titled?

Pleasant to deal with and well organized on the repair end. Mine turned out to be not repairable so they worked with me to find the best replacements.
I give their customer service five stars.

I had a pleasant exchange with their Director of Customer Care (thanks, Pileatus!). My primary concern is collimation (which I assume is relatively trivial to rectify) but I’m not prepared for a large repair bill should any Easter eggs be discovered. They have sentimental value (birth of our first child) so I’ve sent them in and hoping for the best!

I had a pleasant exchange with their Director of Customer Care (thanks, Pileatus!). My primary concern is collimation (which I assume is relatively trivial to rectify) but I’m not prepared for a large repair bill should any Easter eggs be discovered. They have sentimental value (birth of our first child) so I’ve sent them in and hoping for the best!
Let us know how it goes.

Let us know how it goes.

Heard back from Leica customer service. Have been quoted just shy of $300 to collimate, adjust focus, and replace some minor parts (diopter window, hinge bushing, etc). The majority is labor fees and the estimate is well itemized; however, there is an odd $20 charge that’s simply listed as “miscellaneous” (so, no idea what that means).

I’ve followed up to inquire if a simple collimation could be completed at a lower service cost. With a baby on the way, I’ll need to find a less expensive option than the original estimate. I’ve heard Baker Marine does good work for a more reasonable price ($65-100).

Heard back from Leica customer service. Have been quoted just shy of $300 to collimate, adjust focus, and replace some minor parts (diopter window, hinge bushing, etc). The majority is labor fees and the estimate is well itemized; however, there is an odd $20 charge that’s simply listed as “miscellaneous” (so, no idea what that means).

I’ve followed up to inquire if a simple collimation could be completed at a lower service cost. With a baby on the way, I’ll need to find a less expensive option than the original estimate. I’ve heard Baker Marine does good work for a more reasonable price ($65-100).

Company 7 in Laurel, Md. near Baltimore repairs Leica Binoculars.

http://www.company7.com/repair&rehabbino.html

Also see:

http://www.company7.com/leica/index.html

Bob

Last edited:
For my NIB, Old Stock Ultravid HD I just recently purchased from a Certified Leica Dealer, I noticed the warranty card only listed a 10yr warranty. After contacting Leica, I was told that it is covered instead by the 3 YR Unlimited Passport warranty with a Limited Lifetime warranty (this was the old card they initially stuck in the UV HD boxes). They also mentioned that it is no longer necessary to register via the warranty cards, instead simply requiring online registration.

Just some useful info for people, maybe...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back