• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Would Be a Good Upgrade to my Pentax DCF HRII 10x42 Binos? (1 Viewer)

MUHerd

Hey all,

I have a set of Pentax DCF HRII 10x42 binos that have barely been used. Partly because of health issues. Now I am looking to get a new, or a nice USED set of binos to upgrade to. The problem is that I simply am not very familiar with what all is out there that I might overlook when it comes to the time to buy a set.

I figure I can save back a bit here and there and then sell my DCF HRII binos when I am ready to buy.

What would you all suggest is a good upgrade to these binos I have now? I would say my price limit would be $500. I know that's not a lot in the Birding community, but it's what I would be able to spend. I've got too many other hobbies that tend to deplete my "FUN MONEY" too quickly.

The ones that I have been checking out online lately are the Nikon Monarch 7 and the Monarch 5. Many birding sites say that these binos have a great reputation in the birding community and have given users great images for many, many years. What do you all think of these? Is the Monarch 7 that much better than the Monarch 5?

I'd like to get a few others to research and look at too. Please, if you don't mind, list some other choices that would be within the limits I stated.

I am also not opposed to buying USED, Factory Refurbs, DEMOS, and so on as long as they are in real good shape.

Thank you all for any help you can give me. Have a nice week.
MUHerd

***I forgot to add that whatever Binos I pick, I will use them for other activities in addition to birding.***

Last edited:
Hey Andy,

I think I would prefer the 10X because they will be used in other areas other than birding. I haven't really even started getting with others to tag along and learn from other Birders. I will use them to watch football and baseball games, hunting, general wildlife observation and so on. I'm not saying that I am 100% certain that I am going to get a 10X bino, but it is what I am thinking toward when I started thinking about replacing the DCFHR2

The DCF HRII in 10x42 that I have now are a good looking bino. Unfortunately there is just something about them that I can't quite get comfortable with.

I guess I'll have to make a drive to BassPro and see what they have that I can handle and take a look through. It's hard for someone like me that has had no experience with top flite binos and doesn't know what features SHOULD be present in the money limits that I have.

Any info you have that you all want to share, feel free to do so.

Thank you all for your time and have a good weekend.
MUHerd

MUherd,

Yes, Bass Pro/which also includes Cabelas now should have quite a few 10X glass to choose from, they will push the Vortex line but try the Nikon Monarch models, and the Euro line which are Meoptas under a different armor/branding label. There is also the bargain cave if you do not mind buying used, never know what you will find in there.
Enjoy the hunt,

Andy W.

There are many, many binos out there that could possibly be an upgrade, but given a recent post by Upland in this thread, I would suggest looking hard at the 10x Bushnell he is very happy with in his post #4 here:

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=370421

I am behind the times, and have the previous hot discounted model of Bushnells in 10x42, the Legend M, and find them a great bin at a bargain price, if you want to add another lower priced choice-if they are still available.

Last edited:
I’m not sure I’m the greatest to take optic advice from but for the money the Engage is going to be hard to beat. I notice the 10x42s have gone up substantially on Amazon but that there are more 8x42s listed at $208 again. If it’s 10x you’re after I would keep a close watch as prices change frequently on Amazon and they may come down again. There are plenty of nice binos in the $4-500 range but the Engages are really amazing for $138 after rebate.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back