• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift Boxes (1 Viewer)

Expiry

I'd really like to put up a box for swifts this year.

I live on the east coast of Scotland with the back of the house north facing, directly looking over the harbour and the Firth of Forth (the sea).

I have a very small garden - maybe 20ft in length - but we do get lots of swifts, swallows and house-martins in the summer around the area and I'd really like to be able to put something up for all of them, but I'm limited for space, so my preference would be swifts.

I have a pan-tiled roof and I could prise up one of the tiles and fix a box inside the loft, or I have options under the eaves to put something up north facing (directly facing the sea) or east and west facing on the side walls.

If any of you have any advice, it would be appreciated.

For info,

I've had a wooden nestbox on the backwall (south facing) for 4 years that's never been used, despite having 20-30 sparrows and starlings pretty much every day, feeding (fussy sods).

South's the last direction I'd face a nest box, mate. More North to East seems to be the Industry Standard. Of course; Ye make no mention of any other details .....

Swifts? BTO book gives a plan or two, I believe? Otherwise, CJ Birdfoods now do a handy looking, externally mountable Swift Box. Don't know how much they are. But, compared with the £70 I last saw quoted for a bloody " Swift Tile ", I think most prices would come in as acceptable! :eek!:

South's the last direction I'd face a nest box, mate. More North to East seems to be the Industry Standard. Of course; Ye make no mention of any other details .....

Swifts? BTO book gives a plan or two, I believe? Otherwise, CJ Birdfoods now do a handy looking, externally mountable Swift Box. Don't know how much they are. But, compared with the £70 I last saw quoted for a bloody " Swift Tile ", I think most prices would come in as acceptable! :eek!:

Thanks very much. I didn't think it would make much difference facing my existing box north. My garden is so small it's really the only space for one.

I'll look at the swift boxes you mention and reportback

Thanks very much. I didn't think it would make much difference facing my existing box north. My garden is so small it's really the only space for one.

I'll look at the swift boxes you mention and reportback
I assume you know that it needs to be at least 12 foot above ground level?
Swifts nest under the times of my house, faces WNW.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back