• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Razor UHD 18x56 ? (1 Viewer)

I wonder what is the specific purpose for the 18X, I mean it cannot compete with a scope, and to get full use it would likely be tripod mounted. There are plenty of 15 to 20X in porro options cheaper with larger aperture for astro, so likely driven by the other market sector, hu....g.

Andy W.

I wonder what is the specific purpose for the 18X, I mean it cannot compete with a scope, and to get full use it would likely be tripod mounted. There are plenty of 15 to 20X in porro options cheaper with larger aperture for astro, so likely driven by the other market sector, hu....g.

Andy W.
Hunter's and nature observer's. They prefer the 18x56 Vortex Razor UHD over a spotting telescope because it is more comfortable to use with two eyes and has a bigger FOV. I plan to use mine for wolf spotting in Yellowstone National Park. Many will use it on a tripod but some will use it hand held. I have used mine on the night sky also and it is a great binocular for that especially on the moon. The big 56mm aperture and 18x magnification is almost like using a small apo telescope. You can see a lot more detail and pick up many more faint fuzzies with a 56mm versus a 50mm. Roger Vine says they may be the best hand-held astro binocular he has ever used.

http://scopeviews.co.uk/VortexRazor18x56.htm

Last edited:
If I did not have a Nikon 18X70 I might have been curious about the UHD for the night sky. The SLC 15X56 are the biggest I can hand hold in a lounging position to observe the night sky, and they handle quite well for me during the day. Since I like the 8X42 format, I will likely check the UHD 8X42 down the road should Cabelas near me stock them.

Andy W.

If I did not have a Nikon 18X70 I might have been curious about the UHD for the night sky. The SLC 15X56 are the biggest I can hand hold in a lounging position to observe the night sky, and they handle quite well for me during the day. Since I like the 8X42 format, I will likely check the UHD 8X42 down the road should Cabelas near me stock them.

Andy W.
That big Nikon 18x70 is great for astronomy. I had a Nikon Monarch 5 20x56 and it surprised me how good it was for astronomy and observing for a $500.00 binocular. Of course it was not as good as the UHD 18x56. The UHD 8x42 will surprise you how good it is. This morning I was trying all three of my 8x42's the UHD, the FL and the EDG and they are really close. They are all really good. But if I had to rank them it would probably be UHD followed by FL and then EDG optically. The AK prism makes the UHD and the FL noticeably brighter than the EDG and the UHD and the FL are just a little sharper on-axis. I really think an AK prism binocular has better contrast also. The UHD has sharper edges than the FL and a bigger FOV and it just seems to have a little better contrast and more pop than the FL. The blacks for example are blacker in the UHD than the FL. The UHD is REALLY sharp on-axis. I have always felt the FL is the sharpest binocular on-axis but the UHD might be a little sharper or at least it seems that way because of the better contrast. All three of them are superb binoculars. The handling and comfort of the EDG and the focuser are hard to match. It would be very hard to decide which one to keep if you could only keep one of the three.

Last edited:
worst of all, and this would be an absolute no-go for me, quote „the dioptre setting changes slightly as you focus and re-focus“. That for me would be unacceptable in any expensive binocular.

Maybe Roger got a a bad sample?

Canip

When I looked through a 10x42 razor hd at cabelas it also had an issue where the diopter would change internal and I would have to keep adjusting it more to the left. I wear glasses and it should have been set to -0+ I had the have it at almost as far as it would go to the - to get a sharp image. I pointed it out to the salesman and he agreed something was wrong. Funny thing is I tried another pair at a completely different store and they did the same thing. I don’t have much confidence in the build quality.

Rob

As mentioned by John, Roger Vine just did a great review of the 18x56 and calls them „truly and ‚Alpha‘ binocular“, but then lists 3 things that would be no-go‘s for me:

- compared to the SLC, quote „ quite a lot more false colour, again especially off-axis“

- again against the SLC, more stray-light and spikes issues

- worst of all, and this would be an absolute no-go for me, quote „the dioptre setting changes slightly as you focus and re-focus“. That for me would be unacceptable in any expensive binocular.
I've liked Roger's reviews very much, but also find all this a contradiction with the glowing "Alpha" verdict. (Then again, various Zeiss models had obvious off-axis astigmatism for a long time...)

How can all this touted ED glass fail to correct CA better?

And how is it even physically possible for a bino with separate diopter control to lose that setting when focus is adjusted? Others have reported the same problem with this Vortex, and I once saw it in a Maven I tried. I couldn't figure it out, and it made the bino useless.

I've liked Roger's reviews very much, but also find all this a contradiction with the glowing "Alpha" verdict. (Then again, various Zeiss models had obvious off-axis astigmatism for a long time...)

How can all this touted ED glass fail to correct CA better?

And how is it even physically possible for a bino with separate diopter control to lose that setting when focus is adjusted? Others have reported the same problem with this Vortex, and I once saw it in a Maven I tried. I couldn't figure it out, and it made the bino useless.
I have no problem with drifting diopters in either my 8x42 or 18x56 Razor UHD's. In fact I don't see how it is physically possible for a diopter that locks on the ocular to move from a focuser that is not even attached to it in anyway. It doesn't seem feasible. There can always be sample variation even in alpha's but I find it surprising. My Razor UHD 8x42's have some of the best CA correction I have seen but there is some edge CA on the UHD 18x56 which I would say is due in large part to the high magnification. Roger commented the SLC 15x56 controlled CA better than the UHD 18x56 but there is a BIG difference in magnification when you go from a SLC 15x56 to a UHD 18x56.

Hello friends

I have Kaibab 18x56 HD

I'll probably never look through the Razor UHD 18x56

Here in Brazil, it is extremely expensive

But I already had Vulture 15x56 HD, and sometimes in comparisons with my Kaibab, I preferred Vulture, because of the way it delivers colors in long distance landscapes

I felt warmer colors for less magnification and that was good for my eyes

Kaibab delivers more details with the main plan being closer

It has a more precise adjustment of the eyepieces, the diopitry with locking, and the lenses work better chromatic aberration, and also work better the indirect lights that enter the objectives

Besides said Kaibab has definition from end to end

I stayed for a while with both Vortex in hand, a few months ago I sold the Vulture, and I don't know if I did the right thing, I could be with him in the collection quietly

I currently think about buying the Vortex Razor UHD 12x50

In fact, I would very much like to have the initial version of the Kaibab HD 15x56 for the Razor UHD 15x56

Which I consider this setting ideal for long distance

My dream is still SLC 15x56 or Zeiss HD 15x56

But it's not feasible for me

Here in Brazil, to buy something, we need to multiply the value by 5 or 6 times and still add 60% tax to have the final value

But, I can have easier access on the Vortex UHD line

I hope to return soon with an account of the Vortex Razor UHD 12x50

Greetings directly from Brazil

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back