• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

is this a flycatcher of some sort? Tasmania (1 Viewer)

Ron Co

Hi folks , calling on your collective expertise once more to help ID a bird - at first i thought it was a juvenile robin (we have flame robins and scarlet here) but it is too big and not the right colour for the varieties I have encountered to date -searched the various references but just cannot pin it down to my satisfaction - I think it could be one ofthe flycatcher variety?

Any help appreciated
thanks
Ron Co

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ron-alenka/

Attachments

• flycatcher-maybe-crop.jpg
    flycatcher-maybe-crop.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 127
Ron Co said:
Hi folks , calling on your collective expertise once more to help ID a bird - at first i thought it was a juvenile robin (we have flame robins and scarlet here) but it is too big and not the right colour for the varieties I have encountered to date -searched the various references but just cannot pin it down to my satisfaction - I think it could be one ofthe flycatcher variety?

Any help appreciated
thanks
Ron Co

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ron-alenka/

I suspect it is a female Leaden Flycatcher. Doesn't look dark enough to be a Satin FLycatcher

Cheers
Mat

Hi Ron,

It's either a Satin Flycatcher (Myiagra cyanoleuca) or Leaden Flycatcher (M.rubecula) female. In Tasmania, most likely Satin, as they are common breeding migrants, and Leadens are very rare visitors to the Apple Isle.

I used to generally know how to separate them in the field, but I'm way out of practise, and most of the common tips (darker upperparts in Satin, paler breast colour and duller underparts in Leaden) are only really useful if you see two birds side by side. Best bet on the mainland is to look for the male.

Thanks Mat ( & Cathy) and Mike

beauty -- it gives us another new bird on our land - it is interesting not only learning what is here but after only 7 months the photos are starting to give me an idea of their behaviour/movement patterns - I have a long way to go before I can be confident in identifying even the few we have here . The recent rains have made a big difference to the activity- hardly any at the pond and much more in the forest itself

thanks again
Ron

Dear Ron

I've been lucky enough to see both female leaden and satin flycatchers in the last couple of weeks and its as Mike says the males come in really handy for making an ID.

I would say the photo is of a female satin flycatcher. The area under the beak does not have a light flush of paler colour as in leaden flycatcher.

bestwishes

raymondjohn

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back