• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sagres Bird Festival - 4th,5th & 6th October, 2013 (1 Viewer)

I was planning to go Simon but I have already birders booked for the Alentejo this period. Perhaps next year.......

I was planning to go Simon but I have already birders booked for the Alentejo this period. Perhaps next year.......

Perhaps you should take them to Sagres - the birding is much better at this time of year! I've been taking folks to Sagres instead of the wonderful Baixo Alentejo for about three weeks now, since the migration started properly ;)

Perhaps you should take them to Sagres - the birding is much better at this time of year! I've been taking folks to Sagres instead of the wonderful Baixo Alentejo for about three weeks now, since the migration started properly ;)

Unfortunately not Simon, they are coming for the Great Bustards, Black-bellied Sandgrouses etc. and those are not in Sagres ;)

Great Bustards, Black-bellied Sandgrouses ;)

Ah - we see those two all the time ;) - better when not so hot though.

I suppose its a bit far for you to go to Sagres for a day.

Shame, because we've seen so much already this season and things should get much better through the next 2 months or so.

Ah - we see those two all the time ;) - better when not so hot though.

I suppose its a bit far for you to go to Sagres for a day.

Shame, because we've seen so much already this season and things should get much better through the next 2 months or so.

It is not that hot anymore Simon, and it is amazing what comes along the last 3 weeks around the lagoa de Santo André. Just been birding with a client and we got 52 species in 3 hours. But yes, it is too far for one day to go to Sagres. But we will see each other anyway on our birding trips. By the way, the Booted Eagles do not seem to be in a hurry to move southwards yet ;) and we saw the first Bluethroaths last week.
It looks like it is going to be an awesome autumn for birdwatching this year B :)

Finally this year I'm able to go!

Simon, the activities you are in are already Full :). It's too bad I was late for "Hotspots para raridades", but I'll see you in "Birds of Vale do Barranco"

Near sunset, closing formalities of Sagres Bird Festival were held in the recently re-opened Fortaleza do Beliche - with its 16th century chapel on the cliff top giving marvellous views of endless tall limestone cliffs against a pristine turquoise ocean.

The procedures were just finishing when a Rufous-tailed Rock Thrush, an extremely scarce migrant (just about annual in Sagres) interrupted the 100 or so folks attending - a fitting end to the best Sagres Bird Festival to date!

A provisional total of 143 species were seen in the 3 days of the festival (the final total will be displayed on the festival website shortly). Not bad considering that the area covered has no wet wetland - so no Mallards, Moorhens or Coots etc etc to bump up the amount.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back