• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moroccan perennial ID, please (1 Viewer)

IamFof

England
While in Marrakech, recently, I found this growing on both waste land (very dry) and cultivated. The dryer ones were quite a bit smaller than this watered one, which was 2'-3' tall.
I failed to check the leaves, to see if they were succulent, but they look as though they maybe, slightly.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• P1070211.jpg
    P1070211.jpg
    876 KB · Views: 20
  • P1070220.jpg
    P1070220.jpg
    606 KB · Views: 22
  • P1070214.jpg
    P1070214.jpg
    754.6 KB · Views: 19
Simon
Thank you.
I have had a nasty little niggle, at the back of my mind, that I SHOULD know this plant.
As soon as I saw your suggestion of an umbellifera, Crithmum maritimum (Rock Samphire), popped into mind.
Haven't gone further then that, but as soon as I finish feeding my face, I'll look down that path.
Fof

Not the greatest photos for detail but think it's Peganum harmala which I used to see leading tours in Kazakhstan. Clearly not an umbellifer!

It does seem to have English names such as African or Syrian Rue which I didn't realise but the plant seems to occur there. I only knew it by its scientific name.

Thanks aeshna, Peganum harmala looks spot on. I have learned a new plant and an new order ;) In my defence, the dried fruit of Prangos trifida look quite similar, there are some pretty bizarre umbellifers down here, which I was suggesting. I see the species occurs in parts of southern Spain, but not in Portugal, not even the order.

Maybe of interest: https://www.teline.fr/en/photos/nitrariaceae/peganum-harmala#photo-6

Last edited:
Thank you, aeshna. Never heard of it, with either Scientific or English names, but you definately seemed to have hit the spot. Apologies for the pics. I didn't take the light into consideration, before I went and failed to take a polarizing filter. The light was extremely harsh and glarey, due to the high levels of dust in the atmosphere. Lesson learned.
Simon. Again thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back