• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lima Wetland Birds (2 posts, 10 images) (1 Viewer)

rylirk

United Kingdom
Hi all, all these photos were taken at the Pantanos de Villa wetland reserve in southern Lima, Peru. My guesses:

1. I think these are Puna Ibis, although it looks like Black-Faced Ibis may be more expected at coastal sites?
2. Pretty sure this is pied-billed grebe, just confused by the lack of, well, a pied bill... other PBGs on site (of which there were many) all had the pied bill.
3. Semipalmated sandpipers?
4. No clue, some kind of yellow-finch? Saffron is common elsewhere in Lima, but this looks different to me?
5. Tropical kingbird perhaps?

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 56
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    374.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 50
6. a dark Harris' Hawk?
7. No clue. Female of 4 perhaps?
8. Juv. Great Grebe?
9. Some kind of cardinal? Juv. red-crested perhaps?
10. Same as 5? Looks a bit large-headed for a kingbird to me though. Bran-Coloured Flycatcher?

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 27
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    277.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 28
Hi all, all these photos were taken at the Pantanos de Villa wetland reserve in southern Lima, Peru. My guesses:

1. I think these are Puna Ibis, although it looks like Black-Faced Ibis may be more expected at coastal sites?
2. Pretty sure this is pied-billed grebe, just confused by the lack of, well, a pied bill... other PBGs on site (of which there were many) all had the pied bill.
3. Semipalmated sandpipers?
4. No clue, some kind of yellow-finch? Saffron is common elsewhere in Lima, but this looks different to me?
5. Tropical kingbird perhaps?

1) Ebird checklist only has puna.
2) Pied-billed grebe
3) Probably. Suggest that's a better fit than Western based on bill shape.
4) Grassland yellow-finch
5) Vermilion flycatcher

6. a dark Harris' Hawk?
7. No clue. Female of 4 perhaps?
8. Juv. Great Grebe?
9. Some kind of cardinal? Juv. red-crested perhaps?
10. Same as 5? Looks a bit large-headed for a kingbird to me though. Bran-Coloured Flycatcher?

6) Agree Harris hawk: snail kite is not in that part of Peru [=in Amazonia], bill too hefty and not hooked enough for that species.
7) Female chestnut-throated seedeater
8) Probably. Shape wrong for the other 2 common grebes there.
9) Male chestnut-throated seedeater [note chestnut throat...]
10) Vermilion flycatcher

Strange that Snail Kite would not be on the coastal side of the mountains in Lima given how common they are in Western Ecuador.

Niels

RE: the ibis; yes only the Puna is on the eBird checklist, but I believe that's solely because of my checklist which currently identifies these birds as Puna ;) Black-faced does not flag as rare.

Strange that Snail Kite would not be on the coastal side of the mountains in Lima given how common they are in Western Ecuador.

Niels

All depends on availability of their prey: apple snails. Probably way too dry in Lima area (average 6 mm year rainfall/year) for apple snails. Western Ecuador is much much much wetter, over 1000 mm rainfall/year.

Agree with The Fern's ideas in posts 4 and 5. Pass on the Ibis, and wouldn't necessarily rely on ebird for that one as people will have reported what they expect to see thanks to what ebird's told them is there!

Agree with The Fern's ideas in posts 4 and 5. Pass on the Ibis, and wouldn't necessarily rely on ebird for that one as people will have reported what they expect to see thanks to what ebird's told them is there!

Can't remember what I saw when was there. Looking again and paying more attention, These must be puna. Bill and shape is wrong for black-faced, which Peru aves reckons is rare

Can't remember what I saw when was there. Looking again and paying more attention, These must be puna. Bill and shape is wrong for black-faced, which Peru aves reckons is rare

Doh! yes, I was thinking of White-faced Ibis (not Black-faced), which would be very like Puna in a shot like this, but just looked at the field guide and WFI would appear to be only a vagrant. Or is it? ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back