• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwell Valley (4 Viewers)

Productice few hours today.
Ring Ouzel , Fieldfare and Wheatear within 10 sq yards of each other same Swan Pool paddock , plus Common Scoter on Forge Mill

League update
Terry Parker adds Common Scoter to his Valley List

1.Dave Saunders, 210 latest-Great Reed Warbler
2.Pete Hackett, 210 latest- Red Kite
3.Tim Hextell, 201 latest- Raven
4.Matt Hadlington, 192 latest- Osprey
5.Hughie King, 177 latest- Great Reed Warbler
6.Simon Edwards, 172 latest-Ruff
7.Terry Parker, 171 latest- Common Scoter
8.John Clarke, 164 latest- Red Kite
9 Pete Carless, 158 latest- Osprey
10.Tracy Saunders, 154 latest- Yellow Legged Gull
11.Steve Lilly, 151 latest- Mediterranean Gull
12.Mike Ixer, 143 latest- Goshawk
13.Steve Roper, 141 latest- Peregrine
14.Richard Eyres, 126 latest- Great Reed Warbler
15.Bob Slater, 125 latest- Great Northern Diver
16.Andy Thomas, 113 latest- Smew
17.Richard Davis, 111 latest- Barnacle Goose
18.Jason Davis, 109 latest- Ruff
19.Matt Gibbs, 109 latest- Great Black Backed Gull
Good Birding YAMYAM

Common Scoter was still on Forge Mill Lake when I left at 19:20. That's my first one in the Valley. Also present 10+ Swallows, a House Martin, and a pair of Greylags flew over.

A rather belated trip to see the goodies, first to the paddocks, (6.45- 7,15) saw Wheatear & 3 Mistle Thrushes but no sign of the Ouzel.

To Forge Mill (must have just missed Andy ` left @ 19.20`) arrived 19.25, lots of swallows & martins,light getting bad and consequentlly no sign of Scoter, maybe gone to roost (do they `roost?`) as most birds were turning in for the night.

!2 Goosanders on raft, 1 Pochard and Little Egret into roost at 19.50.

Perhaps will try again tomorrow at sensible time, weather permitting.

Richard

Did anyone do Salters Lane end today? With the ouzel in the paddocks there must've been a chance over there as well.

A rather belated trip to see the goodies, first to the paddocks, (6.45- 7,15) saw Wheatear & 3 Mistle Thrushes but no sign of the Ouzel.

To Forge Mill (must have just missed Andy ` left @ 19.20`) arrived 19.25, lots of swallows & martins,light getting bad and consequentlly no sign of Scoter, maybe gone to roost (do they `roost?`) as most birds were turning in for the night.

!2 Goosanders on raft, 1 Pochard and Little Egret into roost at 19.50.

Perhaps will try again tomorrow at sensible time, weather permitting.

Richard

The Scoter was still active when I left. It was to the right of the ramp with some Tufties, but spending a lot of time underwater. It took me a while to pick it up when I arrived - I thought it had left. Sorry I just missed you, I could have put you on to it.

Cheers
Andy

Did anyone do Salters Lane end today? With the ouzel in the paddocks there must've been a chance over there as well.

Thought about, but with time ticking away, went straight to Forge Mill.
I have seen them at Salters Lane in the past, as they do frequent the sheep fields there.

Richard

Thought about, but with time ticking away, went straight to Forge Mill.
I have seen them at Salters Lane in the past, as they do frequent the sheep fields there.

Richard

Salters lane was very Quiet today I was going to post but there where only Jackdaw and magpies to be seen
Good Birding YAMYAM

The Ring Ouzel was very elusive this afternoon. I spent the best part of an hour and a half round the paddocks before it eventually appeared, and then it was for only a few minutes before flying back into cover.

I was watching the bird at 10:00 this morning and it was spooked by a flock of Jackdaws just has Mike Ixer had got to the Paddocks it took us nearly an hour to relocate the bird we watched the bird sit out an hail storm then it shot into cover so the bird can hide for some long periods at a time
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
League update
Andy Thomas adds Common Scoter to his Valley List

1.Dave Saunders, 210 latest-Great Reed Warbler
2.Pete Hackett, 210 latest- Red Kite
3.Tim Hextell, 201 latest- Raven
4.Matt Hadlington, 192 latest- Osprey
5.Hughie King, 177 latest- Great Reed Warbler
6.Simon Edwards, 172 latest-Ruff
7.Terry Parker, 171 latest- Common Scoter
8.John Clarke, 164 latest- Red Kite
9 Pete Carless, 158 latest- Osprey
10.Tracy Saunders, 154 latest- Yellow Legged Gull
11.Steve Lilly, 151 latest- Mediterranean Gull
12.Mike Ixer, 143 latest- Goshawk
13.Steve Roper, 141 latest- Peregrine
14.Richard Eyres, 126 latest- Great Reed Warbler
15.Bob Slater, 125 latest- Great Northern Diver
16.Andy Thomas, 114 latest- Common Scoter
17.Richard Davis, 111 latest- Barnacle Goose
18.Jason Davis, 109 latest- Ruff
19.Matt Gibbs, 109 latest- Great Black Backed Gull
Good Birding YAMYAM

Dartmouth Park
Swallow, Tufted Duck x12 +Scaup faced Tufty and Herring Gull x2 per Matt Hadlington
Good Birding YAMYAM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back