• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Potteric Carr (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
Potteric Carr is owned (or managed or whatever) by the Yorkshire Wildlife Trust. Also, the East Coast Mainline runs throughout the reserve, along with a few sidetracks.

There is no need to venture onto the Mainline, but it is necessary to cross some of the sidetracks to visit many of the best parts of the reserve.

For this, your are required to be in possession of a permit, which costs £8 for a family at one address per year (and a bit less for an individual permit).

Crossing the lines without the permit is a criminal offence, and although I have never been asked to show my permit, the consequences could be, I suppose quite dire.

Permits can usually be acquired on the reserve, either in the car park on Sundays, or from the small field centre that opens on Tuesdays (if I remember correctly). There are plans for the field centre to open more times during the week sometime during this year. (When open, food is served.)

Otherwise, you should contact the Head Office in York. I can't give you the address, but I'm sure there must be a website...???

If you arrive on spec, without a permit, you are given permission for "one visit - keeping to the blue nature trail". Unfortunately, you'd miss most of the action.

Potteric Carr consists of a number of reed-fringed lagoons, each served by at least one hide. Some of the hides require you to climb a number of steps to enter! There are also extensive woodlands, and as is often the case, adjacent fields. Once again, a wide variety of habitats.

A suitably sturdy path runs from the entrance to the field centre, enabling wheelchair uses to enter, but the majority of other paths are (I imagine) difficult terrain for wheelchairs. In long dry periods, I am sure some of these paths would become easier, but when wet, there is extreme mud. Also, any paths that cross the railway tracks and embankment do so via (sometimes many) steps.

The big birding speciality at Potteric Carr, is the Bitterns. I am not sure what the track record for successful breeding is, but they are present each year, and booming can be heard (although not by me yet!)

Grid Ref is SE593007 and it's as easy a pie to find with directions. Coming along either the A1 or the M1 take the M18 Eastbound and come off at Junction 3. (The M1 merges into the M18, whilst the A1 joins at M18 Jct. 2). If you happen to approach travelling westbound, you can still exit at Jct. 3

Then head towards Doncaster (you have no other option at the moment), but when you reach the first roundabout, follow the Potteric Car Nature Reserve sign.
Another 100 yards and you're there!

Reminder…
You will need a permit!

I was stuck for info on Potteric Carr as I have an opportunity in the last weekend of November when I visit a mate and you provided it. Brilliant, thanks!

One thing I will ask, what is the earliest I can go in on a Sunday?

Oh and another, what is the best tactic in Potteric Carr for someone trying to tick a Tree Sparrow?

Hi Andrew,

Visiting time depends, I suppose, on whether you arrive with a permit.

As far a I know, it is possible to access the reserve at all times, although strictly speaking it is dawn to dusk.

To buy a permit on arrival... well it's just a guy in a car, so when he get's there I suppose.

One option would be to follow the blue trail first, which does not require a permit, and then if he has arrived, buy one then.

There is very much an "honesty" system in place, although the permit allows you to cross the rail-lines ,and should you be challenged and fail to provide a permit, then you have broken the law and would be liable for a fine of (I think) £200.

As for the Tree Sparrows, I cannot give you any specific information, as I do not visit as often as I should!!! Maybe digi-birder or ron can help.

God! Potteric Carr! I haven't been there for, ooh, must be 20 years - Red-footed Falcon (same day as the first Marmora's Warbler) and a Little Bittern (didn't they attempt breeding there?).
Smart place.

If I recall correctly, and I think it's in the link above somewhere, Little Bittern did breed once. The only British occurence I think?

In 1984 a pair of Little Bitterns raised three young. It was the first confirmed record according to my 'Where to Watch...' book. Info is a bit limited in the book though.

We met the old guy who loves the reserve and sells the permits as we walked the route permitted without a permit.

We bought a yearly one - about £7 and visit from time to time. Have never seen Tree Sparrows there, Andrew - if you find them I would love to know the location.

You can go in at any time - no gates or anything although some of the hides may be locked early on.

We have had superb views of Bitternt there - but from the hide furthest from the car park where you do need the permit.

Enjoy your trip.

I am going to look up Fairburn, Blacktoft and Old Moor now. I hope they are not too far from Sheffield. I think I can only push the hospitality so far. ;)

HI Andrew - Old Moor is just 25 mins from Sheffield up the M1 - a quick easy ride - I should think similar time to get to Potteric Carr. If I had to choose it wouldn't be easy but I think I would opt for Old Moor.

I think I'll go for Old Moor too if I can. I need Tree Sparrow but also need a Bittern! Big dilemma!

Actually I have a chance of seeing Bitterns in London later in the year so I will probably gamble and go for Old Moor.

Ah, that really pushed it for me. I shall ask to go to Old Moor first then if I get nothing try and push my luck for a visit to Potteric Carr. Seriously how easy should a Tree Sparrow be ticked at Old Moor?

Andrew said:
Seriously how easy should a Tree Sparrow be ticked at Old Moor?

Just turn right out of the visitor centre and they will be in the trees as you go through the gate. Alternatively turn left and they will be in the feeder garden.

Run a search on BirdGuides for Wombwell Ings and Broomhill Ings, both near Old Moor, and I think you will be pleasantly surprised what's there at the moment. Could be anything turning up.

Let me know exactly when you're coming and I may pop up and see you, if we're not in the middle of unpacking boxes in the new house!

Andrew said:
Is there an alternative name for Old Moor as it is not in the 'Where to Watch Birds in Britain' book.

It's in the Where to Watch Birds in Yorkshire, but only a small entry. I think the book was printed before it had become more developed. The RSPB has only just taken it over.

It may be under the places in my previous post.

I would agree with digi-birder about the feeders, and you should find one or two other nice birds there.

If the main (birding reason) for your visit is to get Tree Sparrow or two, then keep your eyes peeled and check every sparrow flock you see - although I'm sure you didn't need telling that!

If you have just one day to bird, though, be aware that both Old Moor and Potteric Carr at their best are brilliant (although to a Devonian, the surroundings might look a bit inauspicious in industrial South Yorkshire!), and you won't be able to do justince to both in a single day.

In the meantime, just to make things more difficult for you, I'll try to get a trip to Potteric Carr in during November - see if I can come up with anything.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back