• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please help me choose between the Meopta 8x32 and the Swaro 8x30(SLC) (1 Viewer)

Mike_Calabas

I’m trying to decide between the Meopta 8x32 and the Swaro 8x30(SLC). Does anyone have any hands on experience comparing these binos side by side? Is there a reason (optics, ergo) good enough to steer me away from the Swaro(other than focus wheel location)? I guess I’ll eventually have to compare the two side by side on my own but I would much appreciate any feedback. Thank you, Mike

Hi Mike,

I directly compared the two back in June. I bought the Meoptas. A big factor was the price difference (£750 vs £550) in favour of the Meopta. I believe there isn't much price difference in the US, is that right?

If they had been the same price, I still would have chosen the Meopta.

I can't remember exactly why but I thought it was better optically. Not massively better but certainly more comfortable to my eye. The view through the Meopta was definitely more pleasing.

Also the ergonomics are superb. They are so comfortable to hold. A very subjective issue, I know, but very important also.

Six months later I still think wow when I use them. They are very bright too. I have been using them all winter in very overcast conditions and dusk too and I'm amazed by their brightness. I recently compared them to Opticron BGA SE 8x42s and the Meoptas are brighter on an overcast day. I don't know how the SLCs would compare on a dull day but I doubt they would be any brighter.

There's little difference between the two but I think the Meoptasare better and the only reasons I can see to buy the Swaros would be the designer label or you prefer the ergonomics.

I have posted about them before so search my posts to see what I have said previously. Also Frank D posted a good review which is how I came to check them out.

All the best,
Martin.

Thanks Martin, in the US the price difference between the two binos is ~100-150$. The Swaro label is a nice label to have on the binos, not for the prestige/high fashion but for their excellent service(at least in the US). I believe that when in doubt, one should buy a Swaro(you cannot go wrong with a swaro, but you might overpay a little). In this particular case the 150$ difference in price in not a deal breaker for me but the 150$ + 2mm smaller objective + no better optical characteristics might be.
Thanks again and Happy New Year, Mike

There are several optically similar name brand 30mm class roof prism bino's comparable to a SLC under $US500 if you are so inclined. The Kowa BD 8x32 that I have is a nice example. Very sharp on-axis with super fast/snappy focus and excellent brightness perhaps due to its dielectric C3 prism coatings.

Happy 2010!
Rick

The Swarovski company is in the same league of Zeiss and Leica: if you can buy a pair of Swarovski binocular, certainly you don't make a mistake.
However, even the Czech compamy Meopta is famous for the quality of its products and is one of the few companies that produce everythings in house, without go in China...
So, in this case, same for the germany firm Optolyth or romanian company IOR Valdada, the savings does not means sacrificing quality.
Good choice.
Ciao.
Vincenzo

Mike,

Both are great but I chose the swaro 8x30. Optics were real close but the swaros were a little sharper, more neutral color, and better ergos for my hands and face. I was always worried about that focus knob location, but after using them for a few minutes I found that it allowed me to hold the binoculars rock solid steady while focusing. It should also be known that I am a hunter, so my requirements may be different than hare core birders.

Thanks for your feedback. I’ll be also using the binos for hunting. Edge sharpness is important due to the way I glass(not looking at the center of the field while panning but hold the view steady and scan across it before moving the view etc). How would the Meopta compare to the Swaro. I’ve use a friend’s 8x30 Swaro in the past and I was pretty happy with it's edge sharpness. Thanks, Mike

I don't think there are any 30mm class roof prism binoculars on the market now that have unusually great edge sharpness. All suffer from varying degrees of astigmatism and/or field curvature. You will have to either move up in aperture to the new Swarovision bins or go to a porro like the Nikon 8x32 SE that have field flattener lenses in the eyepiece group.

cheers,
Rick

Thanks for your feedback. I’ll be also using the binos for hunting. Edge sharpness is important due to the way I glass(not looking at the center of the field while panning but hold the view steady and scan across it before moving the view etc). How would the Meopta compare to the Swaro. I’ve use a friend’s 8x30 Swaro in the past and I was pretty happy with it's edge sharpness. Thanks, Mike

I don't have any experience with the Meopta, and you will probably not get
replies from anyone here with both that one and the Swaro. but I have the Swaro. Neu 8x30, and I really like it. They are a very nice optic. I agree with Rick here above that the Nikon 8x32 SE has better edge sharpness, but
then we are comparing to a "reference standard".

Taking into consideration, resale, warranty and the rest, the 8x30 Swaro SLC would be my recommendation.

Jerry

I think the meopta may have a slight edge at the edge and they seem very well put together, but the lens covers are horrible. Good lens covers are very important to me for some reason, but maybe am I the only one.

I think the meopta may have a slight edge at the edge and they seem very well put together, but the lens covers are horrible. Good lens covers are very important to me for some reason, but maybe am I the only one.

Indeed. I swapped the objective covers and the rainguard for another brand that fitted better. Otherwise a fine binocular though.

Indeed. I swapped the objective covers and the rainguard for another brand that fitted better. Otherwise a fine binocular though.

Which replacement covers did you use.

They are a bit annoying (the eyepiece more than the objective covers) especially for quick use in the rain.

....a note of caution perhaps.
I'm new to this site and I'm not sure where to post this. This thread may or may not be the place .
I have also just bought a new pair of the Swarovski SLC 8X30's two weeks ago.
Optics great but I'm sending them back to the supplier for a repair or a replacement or a different make.
When I use the focusing wheel it is MUCH smoother in one direction than in the reverse. Thus as you are focusing it glides nicely one direction but on the pull, it is quite different and makes the bins joggle around making focusing frustrating.
At first I thought it was technique etc,just getting used to them. However, if I hold them away from me and turn them through 180 degrees the problem remains..............it is stiffer in one direction than the other.
Is this a problem ?......absolutely. They feel like a cheap binocular. At this point I don't know if it is a problem with my set or a design flaw.
Mike, I don't know if this posting is a help or a hindrance to you.............but I was searching for a place to air this issue and saw your post.If it is a design flaw, youought to know.......focusing is difficult.
regards
Robin

I''m posting the same message under the Swarovski heading to see if anyone else has had problems.

Last edited:
I'm new to this site and I'm not sure where to post this. This thread may or may not be the place .
Optics great but I'm sending them back to the supplier for a repair or a replacement or a different make.
When I use the focusing wheel it is MUCH smoother in one direction than in the reverse. Thus as you are focusing it glides nicely one direction but on the pull, it is quite different and makes the bins joggle around making focusing frustrating.
At first I thought it was technique etc,just getting used to them. However, if I hold them away from me and turn them through 180 degrees the problem remains..............it is stiffer in one direction than the other.
Is this a problem ?......absolutely. They feel like a cheap binocular. At this point I don't know if it is a problem with my set or a design flaw.
Mike, I don't know if this posting is a help or a hindrance to you.............but I was searching for a place to air this issue and saw your post.If it is a design flaw, youought to know.......focusing is difficult.
regards
Robin

I''m posting the same message under the Swarovski heading to see if anyone else has had problems.

Robin:
Good of you to post here on your situation. It sounds highly unusual with your pair and you are right to send in for a replacement. There is no design
flaw and you should be happy with your purchase.

This response should be how you are treated by your retailer or from the company and I assume that will be the case.

Jerry

Which replacement covers did you use.

They are a bit annoying (the eyepiece more than the objective covers) especially for quick use in the rain.

Hi Kevin,

You're right the eyepiece rainguard is way too tight for quick pop on/pop off use.

I swapped the rainguard and the objective caps for ones by Opticron.
Not much use to you being in the States.

They're not even specific to a particular Opticron model, just a generic type.

Best wishes,
Martin

DSCN0574.JPG

DSCN0575.JPG

Some pics on added lens covers.

I took my bins to a shop and tried a few out until I found some that fit perfectly.

Much better than the ones that came from Meopta.

regards
Robin

Not just this model - a pair of 10x42EL's I tried had the same focussing action.

Nev

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back