• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Visiting Alexandria, Virginia in April 2014... (1 Viewer)

Andy1979

Hi all,

I will be over for a wedding in late April 2014, staying in Alexandria, Virginia. I will likely have a day or a few hours to get out with my bino's. Can anyone recommend somewhere to go for some good old American birds - ideally warblers.

Cheers,

Andy M.

First off, let me say that I do NOT know this area. Having said that, since no one else answered, I pulled up eBird, and there is quite a bit of data for there. Using the new Hotspot Explorer, I zoomed in on Alexandria and it looks like there is some good spots. Dyke Marsh, for example, has a list of 237 species, and Huntley Meadows Park shows 240.

Not knowing exactly where you'll be or how mobile you'll be, I'd suggest pulling up the eBird data yourself and having a look. Good luck!

...Huntley Meadows Park shows 240.
I haven't visited, but this from White 1999 (National Geographic Guide to Birdwatching Sites: Eastern U.S.):
Just a few minutes south of the Capital Beltway (I-495), Huntley Meadows Park in Alexandria is one of the most popular birding areas in the greater Washington, D.C., region. Its 1,424 acres and more than 8 miles of trails make a fine respite from the traffic and bustle of the city. As you stroll here at dusk in early spring, you might hear an American Woodcock in display flight with its twittering call and rustling wings. In spring or summer you may flush up a Green Heron or see a family of Hooded Mergansers or King Rails, or in the evening hear the weird "pumping" call of the American Bittern. The park offers a half-mile boardwalk through a wetland area, which often provides excellent looks at marsh birds. In addition, viewing areas, including a two-story observation tower, make it easy to sit and watch in summer for Great Egret and Yellow-crowned Night-Heron or for a migrant Virginia Rail or Sora. Other common nesting birds include Wood Duck, Barred Owl, Belted Kingfisher, Wood Thrush, Ovenbird, Scarlet Tanager, Eastern Towhee, and Song Sparrow.
See also: Birds of Huntley Meadows.

Thank you both. Just what I was after - a rough idea as I've only ever been to the States once before and that was Florida in June.

Cheers,

Andy M.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back