• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (23 Viewers)

I'm not sure we have ever had such a large Water Rail brood at Upton Warren (although BTO Birdfacts states that clutches are between 6 and 11 eggs). Presumably this was at the Hen Pool?

Yes...right in front of hide...and forgot to mention I had a Bank Vole on the east track at Moors...

Last edited:
Today's highlights:

FLASHES;
Med Gull (2x2s)-------------------Red Kite (also seen at the Moors by AJP)
Redshank (2)----------------------LRP (4
Oystercatcher(2)------------------Avocet (41) + 17 chicks. 3 couldn't be accounted for in the meadow.
Lapwing (7 chicks)----------------Black-tailed Godwit
Shelduck (3) + 7 chicks.----------Teal (pr)
Gadwall (2)------------------------Shoveler (11 chicks)
Kestrel

MOORS:
Snipe (2)---------------------------Oystercatcher (4) + 1 chick
Common Tern (7 + 2 chicks)-------Water Rail
Teal ( m + pr)----------------------Gadwall (5) no sign of chicks.
Little Grebe (3) + 1 chick-----------Whitethroat
L Whitethroat-----------------------Herring Gull (Ad)

SAILING POOL & HEN POOL:
Cetti's Warbler

Des.

From yesterday (Wednesday)...this is a heavily cropped picture of predated lapwing egg. The sitting bird is to the left of east hide at moors and was initially seen to be pecking at the egg, but then went back to nest which is a few yards back from the waters edge. A few minutes later the egg had disappeared but i didn't see what took it.

Attachments

• tmp_22787-IMG_5796-1-1-1-863645541.jpg
    tmp_22787-IMG_5796-1-1-1-863645541.jpg
    456 KB · Views: 93
From yesterday (Wednesday)...this is a heavily cropped picture of predated lapwing egg. The sitting bird is to the left of east hide at moors and was initially seen to be pecking at the egg, but then went back to nest which is a few yards back from the waters edge. A few minutes later the egg had disappeared but i didn't see what took it.

It was getting a bit late really and this is probably their 3rd attempt. One clutch was squashed by canada geese:-C

I think the Broadmeadow is now declining for waders. Even the Oystercatcher chicks are difficult to see. They are not yet fully fledged and I would expect them to still be around. But with so few open areas remaining it could be that they might have been jumped on by foxes. It has been 23 years since the creation of Amy's Marsh and it is in desperate need of rejuvenation.

Last edited:
There was a good chance that Midd Lakes would be flooded out after yesterdays thunderstorm so I had a look at UW for the first time in a while.
A Water Rail showed well from the Hen Pool hide, nice to see that the channels are being kept open this year. On the Flashes were 1 Curlew, 1 Black-tailed Godwit, 3 LRP, 1 Redshank and 2 2nd summer Med Gulls and numerous Avocets. It all seemed a bit crowded with the high water levels but that's the way it's kept nowadays I believe.
Moors Pool had 1 Snipe some Common Tern a Painted Lady and a Bank Vole.

Last edited:
It was getting a bit late really and this is probably their 3rd attempt. One clutch was squashed by canada geese:-C

I think the Broadmeadow is now declining for waders. Even the Oystercatcher chicks are difficult to see. They are not yet fully fledged and I would expect hem to still be around. But sith so few open areas remaining it could be that they might have been jumped on by foxes. It has been 23 years since the creation of Amy's Marsh and it is in desperate need of rejuvenation.

I think unfortunately this job is well beyond the capabilities of the work parties, even if we hired rotovaters or similar. It now needs heavy machinery, reshaping and an acceptance that the area will be lost for several years whilt it recovers.

Mike W reported from the Moors Pool yesterday evening:

3 Oystercatcher + 3 young (2:1), 7 Common Terns + 4 young, 2 Mute Swan (pair) + 5 cygnets, 2 Teal (pair), 3 Gadwall (pair and female) + 6 young, 2 Shoveler (pair) on North Moors, 1 GC Grebe, 4 Lapwing

a long shift yesterday

spent nine hours on reserve found a one legged wren it tended to lean against the branch to compensate, otter put in an appearance and caught the biggest eel i've ever seen. lots of family party's long tails with 8 or 9 fledglings, great and blue tits wrens and lesser white throat as well. is the last pic a juve cetti's did get a glimpse of what looked like an adult feeding it unless it was courtship behaviour.

Attachments

• DSC08683.jpg
    DSC08683.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC08714.jpg
    DSC08714.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC08772.jpg
    DSC08772.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC08788.jpg
    DSC08788.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC08827.jpg
    DSC08827.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 121
Rings on Avocet

Phil,
One for you, a ringed Avocet at the Flashes today. I think the brass ring is '88A' but this as clear as I can get it.:t:

Attachments

• W95A7277.jpg
    W95A7277.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 87
There was a good chance that Midd Lakes would be flooded out after yesterdays thunderstorm so I had a look at UW for the first time in a while.
A Water Rail showed well from the Hen Pool hide, nice to see that the channels are being kept open this year. On the Flashes were 1 Curlew, 1 Black-tailed Godwit, 3 LRP, 1 Redshank and 2 2nd summer Med Gulls and numerous Avocets. It all seemed a bit crowded with the high water levels but that's the way it's kept nowadays I believe.
Moors Pool had 1 Snipe some Common Tern a Painted Lady and a Bank Vole.
Hi Geoff
The water level is slightly below what it should be at this time of year. The problem we face this year is the lack of ideal feeding zones.
This has come about because we were stopped from desilting the feeding channels by Natural England. This was because part of the survey work included monitoring all salt marsh areas which are adjacent to these channels. Thus if the water drops too low these areas will be lost and this will impact on the success of the avocets.

spent nine hours on reserve found a one legged wren it tended to lean against the branch to compensate, otter put in an appearance and caught the biggest eel i've ever seen. lots of family party's long tails with 8 or 9 fledglings, great and blue tits wrens and lesser white throat as well. is the last pic a juve cetti's did get a glimpse of what looked like an adult feeding it unless it was courtship behaviour.

9 hours and didn't see you. are you hiding from me 8-P.
As I'm doing a breeding survey could you private message me the cetti's site. :t: Trace

Did a detailed survey of the North Moors today. It was good to see an increase in sedge warblers. Maybe they are now starting second broods. Anyhow they have been quiet for a few weeks. I won't reveal numbers but this will included in the 2016/2017 report. I will do a follow up survey next year to give a direct comparison. This will also help us quantify the affect/benefit of last year's contract work in this area. Suffice to say things are looking rosy:t:.
The survey work is carried out over several weeks between April and did of June. Anyone who has any figures for singing birds ie warblers thrushes finches buntings...no need for common garden birds species. Nest box records are being collated by Bobby P and Peter E . :t: John

Mike W reported from the Moors Pool yesterday evening:

3 Oystercatcher + 3 young (2:1), 7 Common Terns + 4 young, 2 Mute Swan (pair) + 5 cygnets, 2 Teal (pair), 3 Gadwall (pair and female) + 6 young, 2 Shoveler (pair) on North Moors, 1 GC Grebe, 4 Lapwing

Mike,

Presumably two of the young were those seen on Tuesday on Charles' raft (the large one attached to two red buoys). Were the other two on the new raft?

Peter

Moors Birding

The first 2 hours were spent on the North Moors.
From here I moved to the East hide doing survey work along the east side of Moors. If anyone was on the west side and noticed any warbler activity could you let me know.
North Moors :
Little grebe calling so could be breeding. Water rail. tufted 4. Reed warbler 9. Sedge warbler 3. Cetti's w. chiffchaff 3. Mistle thrush. song thrush 2.

Moors :
GCG. little grebe 2 ads and 2 chicks on Broadmeadow pool. Shoveler 4. Teal pr. Gadwall 6+only 2 chicks. interestingly there are only 3 broods of Mallard numbering 12 birds. If you compare this to one brood of 13 half grown chicks in just 1of the 10 broods st the Flashes, then there is something patently wrong. It's not for me to say but the otter might be putting off breeding birds . With Tufted Duck soon to emerge we will have a clearer picture. Either way there is nothing that can be done.
Oystercatcher 4 ads and 4 ch (2:2). Lapwing 8 -1 still sitting. Snipe. Common tern 6 2 lots of 2 chicks. kestrel.
Green woodpecker. swift 6. swallow 5.
Cetti's 2. Reed warbler 6 east side. treecreeper. as the breeding season progresses so do the appearance of nest rain jays 3 sightings is half of what I have seen all year.
later received news of red kite and common sand.

Flashes birding

Short of time for a real survey but plenty on view and a feeling that the avocets are spreading out including a brood of a single chick along east shore of 2nd Flash. Also the first returning green sand and an influx of Blackwit.
Species Count Flashes
Teal pr. Shoveler 11 chicks min. Shelduck 2 +7 chicks. Avocet 40+ and 18-20 chicks. Redshank. Green sand. black tailed godwit 4. lapwing 6 juvs min. Oystercatcher. LRP 4. Med Gull 2

I will be doing an early start at Flashes tomorrow and a thorough count of the waders. Dave J won't be on the Moors so if anyone wants to step in and keep an eye on proceedings . Text me if your going and I will keep updated from the Flashes and visa versa.

Phil,
One for you, a ringed Avocet at the Flashes today. I think the brass ring is '88A' but this as clear as I can get it.:t:

hi Bob
this bird was pointed out to me by Dave Jackson a couple of weeks ago its been named "Dutchy" I think he said it was ringed in Holland, I'm sure Phil can give us its past and resent history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back