• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grebe Germany (1 Viewer)

degu

Hi,
i'm having some trouble separating Black-necked and Horned Grebes in their winter plumage. Any tipps?
The photo is from yesterday (Germany), Sorry for the bad quality!

Attachments

• IMG_2601c.JPG
    IMG_2601c.JPG
    343.6 KB · Views: 209
For me Black-necked grebe, thinner slightly upturned bill and lacks the larger pale spot in front of the eye, seen in Slavonian.

Last edited:
I guess the head is slightly tilted away, because everything but the bill screams Red-necked Grebe to me. The rufous in the hindneck, the yellow bill base, the head shape, the dirty flanks.

Maffong

I guess the head is slightly tilted away, because everything but the bill screams Red-necked Grebe to me. The rufous in the hindneck, the yellow bill base, the head shape, the dirty flanks.

Maffong

Got to agree on 2nd look! Misjudged the size badly. Change my previous ID to RNG :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back