• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dark Egret from Spain (1 Viewer)

Don't pay attention to my comments. I'm not a birder or an expert. But...
hybrid between what species?
in my opinion, in shape it resembles a white Little Egrets (black beak and yellow feet) and I see many of these around me (therefore they still exist), mixed in color with a Slate Egrets (???).

Last edited:
ie Melanistic?

Melanistic individuals do occur in many species, some more frequently than others. Doesn't mean this isn't one.

Guess you have to start looking at form and structure, bare parts etc ... ?

Not sure if the grey form is melanistic, melanism usually manifests as brown, the colour of melanin?

Not sure if the grey form is melanistic, melanism usually manifests as brown, the colour of melanin?

You may be right. Melanistic though are usually black (or maybe v. dark brown). Really melanistic birds are quite rare (eg I recall a Kestrel once here on BF?). Maybe if not a 'form', leucistic would be the right phrase, but if it is a 'relatively' common and usually stable pattern then down the form/morph ( ;) ) route ...

exactly. bill shape and nicely demarcated yellow feet with black legs, like in the OB here. i guess it's a (rare) dark form ( ;)) like western reef heron has one.
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=376224&highlight=egret+vadu

I've never heard of a dark Litttle Egret in the UK (but I may not be that well-informed, and of course there isn't a large population here.) Maybe it's a more eastern/European or even a subspecies thing? Maybe a dark Little Egret in W Europe should always warrant closer scrutiny?

You may be right. Melanistic though are usually black (or maybe v. dark brown). Really melanistic birds are quite rare (eg I recall a Kestrel once here on BF?). Maybe if not a 'form', leucistic would be the right phrase, but if it is a 'relatively' common and usually stable pattern then down the form/morph ( ;) ) route ...

I've never heard of a dark Litttle Egret in the UK (but I may not be that well-informed, and of course there isn't a large population here.) Maybe it's a more eastern/European or even a subspecies thing? Maybe a dark Little Egret in W Europe should always warrant closer scrutiny?

I hadn't realised they existed at all until fairly recently.

Gonçalo, of course you remember the similar bird which haunted the Tavira (Portugal) area for a few years (heard nothing of it recently...?). Maybe your bird in Spain, which isn't very far from Tavira at all, could be a relative? Genealogy is well beyond me but I couldn't help but remember the reports (some 20 years ago I think) from Coto Doñana of a WRE breeding in a Little Egret colony. Just a thought.

Yes but very rare as far as I know.

My trusty old copy of The Birds of Britain and Europe by Heinzel, Fitter and Parslow, which I 'bought' with Embassy cigarette coupons in the 1970s (I gave them up I the 80s) shows Little Egrets with a Southern European range, with only a couple of pockets in France. It was classed by them then as an 'Annual' visitor to the UK.

The illustrations for the species show two phases, the white phase and what they call the black phase, with a comment next to the illustration saying that it is 'Rare'.

It distinguishes it from the following entry for the dark phase 'Reef Heron' by saying that the reef egret has a 'white chin and throat'. It says that the dark phase predominates in the reef herons in both eastern and western races.

Gonçalo, of course you remember the similar bird which haunted the Tavira (Portugal) area for a few years (heard nothing of it recently...?). Maybe your bird in Spain, which isn't very far from Tavira at all, could be a relative? Genealogy is well beyond me but I couldn't help but remember the reports (some 20 years ago I think) from Coto Doñana of a WRE breeding in a Little Egret colony. Just a thought.

Yes Simon I do and based on pictures I have seen I think that this could be the same bird that used to be around Tavira.

Just as a theoretical exercise - apart from that it's in Spain and not Australia - how would one say this is not a White-faced Heron?

Just as a theoretical exercise - apart from that it's in Spain and not Australia - how would one say this is not a White-faced Heron?

I too wondered about that when I first saw the pics. Guess leg colour is the main thing (all pale / yellow for white-faced), but also extent of white on face, thickness of bill and general proportions

Yes Simon I do and based on pictures I have seen I think that this could be the same bird that used to be around Tavira.
I photographed that Tavira bird in 2009 & 2010.

This was the 2010 sighting.

Attachments

• Hybrid-Egret-(42)-800web.jpg
    Hybrid-Egret-(42)-800web.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Hybrid-Egret-(35)-800web.jpg
    Hybrid-Egret-(35)-800web.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back