• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

When do the juncos arrive in NE USA? (1 Viewer)

Hi! I am a new resident to Philadelphia, PA, and I loved the juncos (dark-eyed, I think) last winter. I know they leave for the summer. Today I could swear I saw 2 of them. Does anyone know when they typically arrive in this part of the country?

Thanks!
Michele

PS - Saw a Great Blue Heron from about 6 feet away last night in the Manayunk Towpath Canal, if anyone knows it. Closest look I ever got at one! So exciting - but none of the other joggers/walkers/bikers cared. |:(||

Hi Michele,

At least a few are probably present in your area year-round, but the numbers would certainly be greater in the colder months. According to eBird, sightings in your area begin right about this time (so you may very well have seen some), with good numbers starting to be seen towards the end of October and early November. After that, they should be around until the beginning of May.

Best,
Jim

Hi Michele,

At least a few are probably present in your area year-round, but the numbers would certainly be greater in the colder months. According to eBird, sightings in your area begin right about this time (so you may very well have seen some), with good numbers starting to be seen towards the end of October and early November. After that, they should be around until the beginning of May.

Best,
Jim

The first Dark-eyed Junco was reported in the Baltimore, Maryland area today, so they are on the move. The species breeds at higher elevations in Pennsylvania, especially in the southern part of the state, but not in Philadelphia itself.

We get them all over down here near Allentown PA, mostly the Slate-colored variety! Haven't seen any yet though!

-Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back