• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birders Tips - Overseas Birding (1 Viewer)

mattsharps

Garden Birder
Hi guys

Having started the collaboration of tips, I had reccomendations to make it into 'chapters'. So search around for each 'chapter' on a certain type of birding and tips on it.

Please help contribute to help new Bird Forum members like myself and others by sharing your knowledge on Overseas birding!

MattSharps

1) Always remember that, unlike birding on your own turf, it's a different context and thus you're likely to make some silly errors you'd never do at home. Be suspicious of finding that amazing rarity on the first day and interogate yourself mercilessly!
2) In southern climes the bright crisp light and heat can make familiar birds look very different
3) Do your research using the internet to find trip reports etc and thumb through the relevant field guides before you go.
4) Wherever possible get advice from locals or, better still get one of them to take you out,

John

Get a good field guide for the country you are going to visit and study it pretrip.
Get a Birdsong CD for the area you are going to visit and listen to it to familiarize yourself with the bird sounds.

Planning, birding pal

Stop worrying about the birding and just enjoy the birds.

I concur. Planning is everything. Do all the work before you leave then just enjoy it.

Of course you'd expect me to recommend guides - and may be it needs a separate 'Birding Tips: Using guides' thread (people usually see twice as many species in the same time, no worries getting lost, alternatives in bad weather, accommodation arranged beforehand, etc., etc.), and there's a list of some of the Spanish ones on my links page - but you can also sometimes find locals to take you out for free or transport costs. Try here:

http://www.birdingpal.org/

A very useful site.

All the best

1) Be careful that you don't set yourself unreasonable targets. You wouldn't try to see every bird in Britain in a week, so don't attempt it abroad. It's meant to be a birding holiday, not a driving holiday, so base yourself somewhere good, and don't stray more than a hundred miles in any direction. Spend most of your time birding. Who cares if you miss a few species, you can always go back next year. Possibly consider two different bases if you're going for two weeks.

2) Find yourself a "local patch" close to where you are staying, and visit it a few times during the holiday. Just like in the UK, some species need a bit of work. You can't expect to walk straight up to everything.

3) Buy as many decent field guides, maps and site guides as you can find / afford before you go and study them in detail so that you know exactly where you want to go and what you might see when you get there. This can save you hours of wasted time trying to find places on the day.

4) Don't assume that you've "done" a place just because you've seen one or two star species. There's probably plenty more still to see. For example, I have friends who think they have "done" the Coto Donana in Spain, just because they spent one day there and saw Crested Coot, Spanish Imperial Eagle and a few other specialities. We're talking about a place the size of a medium sized English county. I've been there several times at different times of year, and still wouldn't claim to have "done it" (in two days time I'll be there again :t: )

5) If your going to a hot country, don't bother lugging the scope around between 10am and 6pm. It will nearly kill you and be next to useless. Travel light.

This thread should have been started on the Tips for new birders forum. ;)

Remember it is possible to do a trip without a guide/being on a tour. If you have the time, visiting a country without a hire car is a good way to get to know the country and is one less thing to go wrong.

Keep a careful note of the non-ticks - chances are they will get split from the birds you have already seen at home.
For example: Western & Eastern Bonelli's warblers, Western & Eastern olivaceous warblers, Canary Islands Blue tits, Great grey & Southern grey shrikes, - the list goes on & on...
Apart from the chances of increasing your list it is simply good practice to note subtle variations - don't assume anything.

Study, study and study again even if you hire a guide. You will probably ID more, be more prepared, strengthen what you have read and also surprise yourself by discovering behaviors and field marks not pointed out in the book. In short, you will have a richer experience overall.

1) Be careful that you don't set yourself unreasonable targets. You wouldn't try to see every bird in Britain in a week, so don't attempt it abroad. It's meant to be a birding holiday, not a driving holiday, so base yourself somewhere good, and don't stray more than a hundred miles in any direction. Spend most of your time birding. Who cares if you miss a few species, you can always go back next year. Possibly consider two different bases if you're going for two weeks.

2) Find yourself a "local patch" close to where you are staying, and visit it a few times during the holiday. Just like in the UK, some species need a bit of work. You can't expect to walk straight up to everything.

3) Buy as many decent field guides, maps and site guides as you can find / afford before you go and study them in detail so that you know exactly where you want to go and what you might see when you get there. This can save you hours of wasted time trying to find places on the day.

4) Don't assume that you've "done" a place just because you've seen one or two star species. There's probably plenty more still to see. For example, I have friends who think they have "done" the Coto Donana in Spain, just because they spent one day there and saw Crested Coot, Spanish Imperial Eagle and a few other specialities. We're talking about a place the size of a medium sized English county. I've been there several times at different times of year, and still wouldn't claim to have "done it" (in two days time I'll be there again :t: )

5) If your going to a hot country, don't bother lugging the scope around between 10am and 6pm. It will nearly kill you and be next to useless. Travel light.

This thread should have been started on the Tips for new birders forum. ;)

Excellent advice Colin! Much of what you say here concurs with the principles laid out in the hotspot holidays section of BirdingInSpain.com. Of course people are free to bird as they like (still), but I often get the impression that the listing mentality doesn't allow one to fully enjoy the place, the birds, the experience...

Mind you, I'm not blameless myself.

Steve
http://www.BirdingInSpain.com

Drink lots of water - more than you think you need - when birding in the heat. Having experienced heat stroke in the past I can assure yoiu it isn't fun .... and may even be fatal.

Yes, enjoy your birding - I rather took that for granted! Unless you're planning a really laid back trip a car is indispensible. As already noted do your homework both in terms of sites and ID guides. Don't hesitate to post requests on BF or elsewhere for information - not everyone posts trip details, but they may have that vital information. However, don't be mesmerised into only looking at 'know' sites, but rather stop wherever the habitat looks good; in short EXPLORE! Many areas remain little known ornithologically. Also have a close look at Google Earth before you go - a] to check that your maps are accurate and b] to pick up any nearby habitats [eg wetlands] not mentioned in the guidebooks, JOHN

Last edited:
Bring CIPRO or some other strong antibiotic and don't wait until you're totally bedridden to use it. The tropics (if that's your destination) have some nasties. Get your shots and bring your meds. I've seen too many people - including some close friends try to 'tough it out' - and end up missing out.

Take loads of pens and sweets for scrounging kids who will harass you in most countries.

Don't use BTO short codes in sensitive countries this lost me three birding days in Kenya, trying to convince the powers to be that they were codes for bird names. Kenyan Police Cells are awful.

Try and meet up with another birder, which is not difficult in most countries as I have found that if anyone is on their own, company usually appears and even with the language barrier I have had some blimmin good birding holidays teaming up with the locals.

And remember, there's more to a place than just the birds! Many of these trips will be "trips of a lifetime" and your memories will be richer if you take in some of the local sites and customs also.

In many countries, you have to drive on the wrong side of the road. If you wish to drive normal, Australia and many Asian countries drive correctly.

Take loads of pens and sweets for scrounging kids who will harass you in most countries.

Which encourages them to be even worse to those following you. Do not give pens and sweets to street kids and those that harrass you - if you feel the need to contribute, give to a local school.

Using guides' ...people usually see twice as many species in the same time, no worries getting lost, alternatives in bad weather, accommodation arranged beforehand, etc., etc

My two pieces of advice would be:

a. don't feel you need a guide, it can be one of the real joys of foreign birding to find the birds yourself, get pleasure out of doing your own thing and the element of unexpectancy in the discoveries you make.

b. never believe any guide that tells you that you need a guide - be they outside reserves in India, on beaches in West Africa or within Europe. If you have done your planning and background reading, no guide will ever show you twice as many species in a given time!

Enjoy travel, enjoy the birding and do it however you like most.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back