• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Better Beamer (1 Viewer)

S Smith

I thought that I may give a better beamer a try but cannot find where to get one in the UK. Warehouse express used to do them, but I could not find one on their website. Any ideas?
Steve

Wearhouse express sell the Flash Xtender which is pretty much the same product (its probably is just a different trading name) as the better beamer. Make sure that you pick the right one for your flash, since different flashes have differently sized heads which affects the mount you get with the Xtender.

Yes make sure you get the right one as Overread says, my friend had one that did not quite fit and he was forever haveing to ajust it to get the beem in the right place.
Rob.

Thanks everyone. I was not aware of the Flash Xtender so that may be why I could not find them at Warehouse Express. I really did not want to import from the States, gets very expensive with import duty etc.
Steve

I think you need to make your own for that flash. I am pretty sure that the BB only fits Nikon and Canon flashes. :(

For the 'ray flash' I am using the one for the 580 EX and EX II.

I assumed that I could do something similar with the flash extender

Maybe if some members are kind enough to take measurements of the heads of their flash units (Canon or Nikon and as may models as possible) then I could compare the size and get one that will most likely fit the Nissin.

I have read of others having a similar difficulty with Nissin flashes, and am not sure they found dimensions of other flashes helpful. An alternative would be to send the dimensions of the Di866 to a store selling the Flash Xtender. Hopefully that way they will agree to you sending it back if it does not fit.
Steve

I`ve got 1 but am cautious of using it,i`ve heard the stories of it getting hot & melting your flashgun.

Steve.

The lens itself won't get hot through use, what it can do however is work backwards. That is amplifying the light coming toward your camera from a powerful light source (the sun) and then acting like a magnifying glass to focus the light - causing actual flash damage (ie melting the casing and worse if it goes undetected).

Thus on a dull day its not much to worry about, but if using for fill light on a sunny day its something to keep an eye on (though if you're moving around it should be ok).

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back