• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Early Swift departure (1 Viewer)

Unexpected 20 or so, in a couple of groups this evening in Greystones, lifted my spirits. From a cool wet day to a warm calm clear dusk, perhaps summer will linger after all.

And among them, one long-eared bat as a bonus

I wonder if your birds trickle South or head out straight over the sea when they leave?
I'd assume they'll go south / southwest, but whether they were local breeders, or came from further north, or further east, would be interesting to know - there was a light SE wind at the time, not impossible they'd come from across the North Sea.

Coastal sites will always get later birds, inland counties are always bereft, first, none here for a few days now.
FWIW, mine on Weds were not coastal, though not far inland either (about 8 km inland; the sea was visible in the distance).

Not seen any subsequently with the change in weather with Storm Ellen.

Has the premise of the thread changed akin to something along the lines of 'last swift of the year'? ;)

Haven't seen a Swift for ages, including last few visits into town, but seen reports eg at reservoirs in the county in last week well into double figures. Last I'd ever seen was on Scillies in October.

I've often seen birds disappear for a day or two. One evening I spotted a sparrowhawk perched on my fence eyeing my peanut feeders. That explained that then. My garden has been devoid of birds for the last two days so I suspect they're in hiding again. Might sparrowhawks also put the swifts into hiding? Just a thought.

Still small numbers moving here in east Norfolk most days, 26 south this morning. Normally get the odd one into late Oct/ early Nov most years

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back