• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID need Help (1 Viewer)

I'll let the gull experts decide on this one (fwiw I'd propose Armenian gull?) but just wanted to say that this is a fantastic photograph!

the default large gull on the mediterranean coast would be michahellis (yellow-legged gull). but this one has a strong potential for armenian gull indeed: pale underwings, less tapering tail band and short stubby bill. i'd have liked to see its upperside and a view with closed bill, so, tentatively it's a armenicus but can't totally exclude a paler YLG. to complicate matters: there exist hybrids michahellis x armenicus produced just north of this site, at some of the large steppe lakes in western anatolia (Akșehir region). which would be hard to prove with just one pic of a 1cy with ventral view only.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back