• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with bird identification please - Yorkshire (1 Viewer)

Markierich

Could somebody help with bird identification please – thank you. Location: semi-open countryside, few houses nearby, small wooded area, West Yorkshire. The bird I saw for about 30 seconds today was about the size of a blackbird and very lightly built. Its predominant colour was pale, dusty with perhaps a hint of green. The main marking was a very noticeable black lateral stripe on its wing (i.e. along the body). It was fairly close to a lightly residential area, first sitting on a fence post to a field then flying off into a small wooded area. It flew in three or four swoops.

Hi Markierich and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the ID forum and subscribed you to the thread so that you can find it easily. You will receive an email with a link to click on which will bring you straight here. I feel there are more people with the expertise to see it in there.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Markierich and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the ID forum and subscribed you to the thread so that you can find it easily. You will receive an email with a link to click on which will bring you straight here. I feel there are more people with the expertise to see it in there.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Thank you for your comments. We do have green woodpeckers round here. But they are definitely more green, and tend to have a red cap. This one was more dun/pale colour with perhaps just a hint of green. The main marking was a black band along the wing, or possibly black wing markings. Also I don’t think beak was heavy enough for a green woodpecker. Maybe it was a juvenile woodpecker. Do they have winter plumage?

Maybe Mistle Thrush? It's not easy to imagine what you mean by the black stripe on the wing. If you're not particularly familiar with bird anatomy, or judging how bits of birds can look depending on lighting conditions, and angle etc, it can be hard to interpret plumage features.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back