Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Hand Lens suggestions?

Old Thursday 21st January 2016, 21:45   #1
Silverwolf

Hand Lens suggestions?

I carry a Canon 1000D with a EF 60mm, but there is a limit to what I can see. I'm hoping to acquire a hand lens of sorts so I can check out parts of insects and plants not visible (or easily visible) with the naked eye or through my macro lens.

I'm not entirely sure what the 10x, 20x etc. designations mean and how they relate in terms of my macro lens. I want a hand lens significantly better than my macro lens or it defeats the point of having it.

If anyone can advise, it would be appreciated.
#1045- striped honeyeater.
Old Friday 22nd January 2016, 10:53   #2
honeym

Hi
There are a wide range of hand lenses (or loupes). I would say that whatever you choose, buy the best you can afford and avoid ones with the smallest lens diameter.
I'm an entomologist and I find a 10x magnification lens the most useful. I've tried 20x but find that the working distance (lens to subject) too small but I know that some botanists use them. I also carry a larger lens with c. 5x magnification for more general observation at close range.
You might also consider a dual or triple magnification lens (one, two or three lenses used in combination).
There's a fairly useful website here: http://www.quicktest.co.uk/loupes.htm
Martin
Old Friday 22nd January 2016, 14:11   #3
Kammerdiner

I've used the BelOMO 10x triplet for some years. Short working distance of course, but there's no reason to look further I don't think. Just top-notch optics. You can watch Paramecium in a pinch.

I'd skip 20x as well. It's just too close a working distance. You'll be tasting the subject as well as looking at it.

I got my BelOMO from Amateur Geologist. Check their website, and any others of course. I'm not affiliated.

Mark
Old Saturday 23rd January 2016, 18:20   #4
Rotherbirder

Agree with these guys; a good quality 10x achromat is the way to go. Avoid 20x & 30x like the plague for the reasons given. As with all optics, high magnifications bring poorer images. Similarly avoid fancy looking contraptions with built in LED lighting etc. Most important is to ensure that it has glass lens elements. Essentially, if you pay less than 10-15 it will probably be a generic Chinese 'toy' loupe of poor quality that will soon shows its shortcomings!

Last edited by Rotherbirder : Sunday 24th January 2016 at 15:33.
Old Sunday 24th January 2016, 09:43   #5
Hermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kammerdiner View Post
I've used the BelOMO 10x triplet for some years. Short working distance of course, but there's no reason to look further I don't think. Just top-notch optics. You can watch Paramecium in a pinch.
Same here. The Belomo 10x is excellent. Very, very good quality indeed.

If you want to use lower magnification, you might want to consider Zeiss. They make 6x, 10x and 6x+3x. They're also pretty good, especially the 6x+3x. Very flexible.

20x doesn't work at all IME.

Hermann
Old Tuesday 26th January 2016, 22:06   #6
tom24

Belomo for me too
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: