Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Flashlight recommendations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Saturday 16th August 2014, 22:42   #1
squidge
Wha Whassssat

Flashlight recommendations

I didn't want to hijack the other flashlight thread so I'll start here.

Looking for recommendations for a small/pocket size torch with good lumens and long lasting battery life.

A torch that would be used along roads beside cliffs with no lighting to walking through woods.

Regards Gerard.

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 16th August 2014, 23:16   #2
Ratal

Tesco 2AA torch.

You may laugh, but the lads snap these up every time they come available.

Small, bright, economical to run.
Old Sunday 17th August 2014, 00:20   #3
Ad1

Hi Gerard, what is your ideal budget?

Regards

Adam
Old Sunday 17th August 2014, 03:39   #4
mooreorless

Streamlight Stylus Pro 2-AAA battery light. This is a very tough small light fits easily in your shirt pocket. I have dropped mine a lot and it still works. I bought rechargeable batteries for mine.

http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/pro...l?pid=133#tabs
Old Sunday 17th August 2014, 10:04   #5
squidge
Wha Whassssat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad1 View Post
Hi Gerard, what is your ideal budget?

Regards

Adam
Around the 100 euro mark.

Gerard.

Old Sunday 17th August 2014, 14:31   #6
mooreorless

Hi Squidge,

I read some on that other flashlight thread and the Surefire light seems decent if you need that bright of light. An idea might be to get one like that and have the little Streamlight Stylus Pro[6 + hours of operating time] as a back up in your shirt pocket. Or use the little one and if you need more light pull out the bigger one. I use the Streamlight every day at work. I have held it in my teeth when I need 2 hands etc. I have dropped it probably 50 times on concrete and it still works.
Old Sunday 17th August 2014, 15:02   #7
iveljay

The original LED LENSER T7 is available on Amazon for about 35 - its just being replaced by a Mk 2 model (costs more and has a reduced claimed max battery life but more light output).

It has a claimed up to 55hrs life on low power setting (unregulated power so will dim at some point until the batteries finally go flat - never timed its life so can't verify) - useful most of the time around here (unlit roads, tracks and hill paths) or if you get stuck somewhere overnight, and a useful high power setting (but with a reduced life) for those hazardous cliff paths. Always carry spare batts anyway? (4xAAA)

I have been using one for nearly 4 years and it has survived storm and tempest with no hassles, unlike another fairly well known make that overheated and split its batteries (they met the manufacturers specs!).

It has two practical levels of light output - the third 'boost' power level needs constant pressure on the switch - (definitely for emergencies only)

Only grouse is that it is matt black so if you drop it on a hillside at night getting it out of your pack .....

The Amazon reviews give you the pros and cons quite nicely.

Last edited by iveljay : Sunday 17th August 2014 at 15:23.
Old Sunday 17th August 2014, 15:54   #8
perterra

Fenix E05 or E12 depending on your light needs and the battery you want to use. I have several (E01) that I have been using for years now. One on the motorcycle keychain has been rattled and beaten by the paint shaker single, but still works perfectly.

http://www.fenix-store.com/led-flashlights/

Last edited by perterra : Sunday 17th August 2014 at 16:43.
Old Sunday 17th August 2014, 18:39   #9
Ad1

Given your budget I would look at the Fenix TK41. Technically it is better than the LED Lenser. I have the T7 which I am more than happy with, alas cost was an issue.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...door-beamshots
Old Sunday 17th August 2014, 19:16   #10
tperry

Another vote for the LED Lenser range.
I have two and they are excellent - the light temperature is similar to daylight which can be handy for night photography e.g. moths.

Tony
Old Thursday 21st August 2014, 18:49   #11
squidge
Wha Whassssat

After much head wrecking looking through various torch manufacturers I have narrowed down my choice to either the Led Lenser P7.2 or the Fenix PD35.
Anybody have experience of either of these two torches.

Regards Gerard.

Old Friday 22nd August 2014, 06:54   #12
Ad1

Go for the Fenix
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...shlight-REVIEW
Old Friday 22nd August 2014, 20:20   #13
meles

Just bought a Led Lenser P5.2, which I tested last night in the wood against my existing Led Lenser P7. With the single AA alkaline in the P5.2, it was brighter and with an equivalent range to the P7, although I always use the P7 with rechargeables, so it would probably have equalled it for brightness with alkalines. There is virtually no difference in the circumference of the floodlight or spotlight. Difference is, of course, that the P5.2 is a lot smaller and uses a single AA, as opposed to 4 AAAs. So I'd take the P5.2 over the P7 now as it's easier to carry. Of course, there is a P7.2, which I haven't used... P5.2 is about 27.
Old Monday 25th August 2014, 13:48   #14
Grando

Another vote for Fenix's range.
Old Tuesday 26th August 2014, 19:31   #15
iveljay

The other approach, if your chief aims are avoiding injury and death and less for admiring the scenery, is a head torch.

I use a LED Lenser H7 which has variable power, variable beam and variable tilt. The adjustments are there to make it useable and tend to be left alone once you have a working set up. Invaluable on rough ground or unknown tracks, as it leaves your hands free and is less likely to roll away if you do lose your footing.

These tend to come in two forms, rechargeable and with replaceable cells. Most folks I know like to have proper batteries that you have in your pack anyway. They are possibly more the province of folks who place staying alive over appearances, the kind that buy good boots and obviously do a certain amount of night walking, but is a permanent fiixture in my bigger pack as it is light weight and compact in its carrying case.

Probably overkill if you stick to level paths and to be fair I tend to stick to a conventional torch for straightforward short trips. There is no concensus on the web of which is the best head torch either!

N.B. Just seen they have brought out an H7.2 not everyone thinks that it is an improvement. However one Amazon reviewer mentions a barn owl shared the light to help hunting!

Last edited by iveljay : Tuesday 26th August 2014 at 19:51.
Old Tuesday 26th August 2014, 20:43   #16
BirdBoyRich

I agree with Iveljay that headlights are the way forward. I have a Princeton Tec Apex and love it, very reasonably priced, high quality and bright.

Headlamps also keep your hands free for bins whilst focusing the beam in the direction you are looking, works surprisingly well with 42mm bins!

Rich
Old Tuesday 26th August 2014, 21:59   #17
Houdiny

If you really want a flashlight that's built like a tank you should take a look at HDS flashlights. Superb electronics, extremely well constructed, lifetime guarantee and customizable (www.hdssystems.com).
Foursevens is also a premium brand with many different choices for a reasonable price. I personally know the CEO and he really stands behind his products!
Another nice torch is the Armytek Predator. Very sturdy and quite customizable.

Regards,
Martin
Old Tuesday 26th August 2014, 22:05   #18
Andrew Whitehouse
Professor of Listening
BF Supporter 2018

I recently bought a Sunwayman D40A and am very impressed with it. It throws out up to 980 lumens, is sturdy but pocket sized and runs on 4 AA batteries, with good battery life:
http://www.sunwayman.com/html/products/201305/127.html

Listening to Birds

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 26th August 2014, 22:15   #19
squidge
Wha Whassssat

After much deliberation I decided on the led lenser p7.2. Now I don't doubt that the fenix is the better of the two but i felt that the led lenser would be sufficient for my needs plus with the price difference I was also able to purchase the series 2 multimedia guide to north Atlantic seabirds.

Many thanks for all the suggestions,

Regards Gerard.

Old Wednesday 27th August 2014, 09:07   #20
squidge
Wha Whassssat

Torch arrived this morning. A question regarding the highest setting. Do I need to keep the button pressed in for the highest setting to remain?

When I release the button the light goes down to the mid setting. When I click it again it goes to the lowest setting.

So it has two settings that can be permanently on without having to keep the button physically pressed in, is this correct?

Regards Gerard.

Old Wednesday 27th August 2014, 18:01   #21
iveljay

Correct, running at highest setting has a considerable effect on battery life and is very much the emergency setting. In practical terms the new 7.2 versions are more technically advanced than their predecessors and generate significantly more light at the normal setting anyway.

I actually own both Fenix and Led Lenser torches and tend to use the LLs most, tending to buy the more powerful Fenix types for emergency use and moderate powered LLs for day to day. The 8 battery Fenix torches are very good but too heavy and overkill for everyday.

One side issue of bright torches is that sooner or later if you are out in a group someone is threatening to kill someone else for destroying his night vision by careless handling!

If only they produced brightly coloured dayglo versions - I am not in the military and being able to easily locate them in moonlight would be a major plus point. (Rant over)(Taping is messy for the person about to suggest it)

Anyhow the next torch I buy may well be a Mk2 version of my head torch, it sounds as if it has a more rugged power cable which was always my worry with the original.

Anyway congrats on your purchase and I hope it is everthing you need. The 'smooth skinned' P variant probably causes less wear on your clothing than mine.

Last edited by iveljay : Wednesday 27th August 2014 at 18:15.
Old Wednesday 27th August 2014, 20:05   #22
squidge
Wha Whassssat

Quote:
Originally Posted by iveljay View Post
Correct, running at highest setting has a considerable effect on battery life and is very much the emergency setting. In practical terms the new 7.2 versions are more technically advanced than their predecessors and generate significantly more light at the normal setting anyway.

I actually own both Fenix and Led Lenser torches and tend to use the LLs most, tending to buy the more powerful Fenix types for emergency use and moderate powered LLs for day to day. The 8 battery Fenix torches are very good but too heavy and overkill for everyday.

One side issue of bright torches is that sooner or later if you are out in a group someone is threatening to kill someone else for destroying his night vision by careless handling!

If only they produced brightly coloured dayglo versions - I am not in the military and being able to easily locate them in moonlight would be a major plus point. (Rant over)(Taping is messy for the person about to suggest it)

Anyhow the next torch I buy may well be a Mk2 version of my head torch, it sounds as if it has a more rugged power cable which was always my worry with the original.

Anyway congrats on your purchase and I hope it is everthing you need. The 'smooth skinned' P variant probably causes less wear on your clothing than mine.
Many thanks,

Regards Gerard.

Old Sunday 31st August 2014, 10:16   #23
dannybgoode

This looks pretty good. As soon as I have the money I will be getting one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294
Old Tuesday 14th October 2014, 08:28   #24
Peter Fox

I am an engineer and often work in dark buildings so I did quite a bit of research to try to find the smallest and brightest torch that can be easily carried in the pocket. The very brightest torches now use the latest generation of CREE XM-L2 LED chips and these are ridiculously bright when running at full power (most need power-down switching for normal use). Some torches with these latest LEDs use conventional AA and AAA batteries but the smallest, brightest & longest lasting use a single 3.7 volt re-chargeable 18650 Lithium-ion battery and measure around 9cm long x 2.5 cm wide.

There is a relatively small number of sub-10cm length torches on the market, mostly quite pricey though. Some with a high quality power switching come in at 40-50. However, the cheapest one that I found (Tiny-18650) uses a lens twist switch and sells at 20.50 ($33). See web sites below.

The twist switch on mine has become a little intermittent after 6 months use but that may only need the thread to be cleaned.

Web sites for three sub-10cm torches :

www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?
http://www.torchdirect.co.uk/explore...led-torch.html
http://www.torchdirect.co.uk/olight-...led-torch.html

Last edited by Peter Fox : Tuesday 14th October 2014 at 09:02.
Old Monday 17th July 2017, 14:11   #25
gandytron

I'm reviving this old thread as I'm thinking of updating my torch when I go the the USA in a couple of weeks.

I have an LED Lenser P14 which is good but I am wondering how much the technology has changed since I bought it in 2009.

I'd be typically using it for torching nightbirds and mammals in rainforest.

Advice welcome.

Thanks

Dave
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: