Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Saving birds with technology

Old Monday 7th December 2015, 19:24   #1
EricLowes

Talking Saving birds with technology

I just read this article and it totally blew my mind. I mean this is just outstanding :)

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-34039680

Apparently, stupid pochers took this Toucan's beak and fled. These heartless ppl don't have enough decency to realize that how the heck is a bird suppose to eat if you take away it's beak!

Anyways, I can't believe that this '3d printing' technology can help you make stuff like this at your own home.

Does anyone own one of these printers. I would love to make fun stuff for my two parrots.

I also came across this bird feeder that you can simply 'print'.

https://pinshape.com/items/7341-3d-printed-bird-feeder-container-3dponics-home-and-garden

Can anyone share more info on this up and coming technology I guess. If you have a 3d printer, then have to be best friends :)
Old Monday 7th December 2015, 23:20   #2
jring

Hi,

thanks for the great read - unfortunately I think at the current state the whole effort is good for raising awareness for the problem of poaching and/or animal smuggling only.

For normal veterinary practice the technique is just not feasible right now since it's taken three months to design the part... not really possible unless you've got a volunteer. Although it's used to make bleeding edge artificial limbs for humans.

In principle 3D printers allow you to produce almost arbitrary forms in plastic (and metal in very high end devices) - slowly and one at a time but without expensive tooling like moulds. But you need to create the form in a CAD program first. It's great for prototyping and low volume production of specialized parts (sometimes you can't produce them at all with normal moulding techniques) and a great playground for hackers (aka makers). You might want to check if there's a hacker-/makerspace nearby - they often have a printer and the knowledge how to use it.

PS: The Vancouver Hack Space (#104-1715 Cook St Vancouver, BC V5Y 3J6) has two...

Joachim

Last edited by jring : Monday 7th December 2015 at 23:27. Reason: Added Vancouver Hack Space info
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: