Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Bird watching dalyan Turkey

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 26th March 2015, 17:34   #101
turkeylandman

laest phtos and tweets

latest photos and tweets from Dalyan links below

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

http://www.dalyanbirding.com/tweets%...%20dalyan.html
Old Sunday 17th May 2015, 10:37   #102
Rob Smallwood

I've lost the directions from Dalyan to the White-throated Robin site - can anyone point me in the direction of a report with directions?

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 10th June 2015, 14:03   #103
Rob Smallwood

For anyone going this summer White-throated Kingfisher can be seen and heard well from the last "platform" on the river just before the small footbridge over the ditch at the north end of the Dalyan river walk. Better still, walk further north about 50m along the pomegranate field and view across the river from the rickety landing stage there.
Birders familiar with the area will realise that this location could be prone to disturbance - the birds show best early morning (pre 9:30) and late afternoon (post 16:30) when the river traffic has died down.
Please exercise some restraint and caution at this site.

Old Monday 22nd June 2015, 03:59   #104
turkeylandman

Latest Trip Report by Dougy Wright and Greg Adams. see link below

https://dalyanbirding.wordpress.com/...ey-april-2015/
Old Thursday 2nd July 2015, 15:38   #105
turkeylandman

Tom Curwen
Charles Rose

here’s a record of visit to Dalyan 3-11 May 2015.

Monday 4th -Area around appartment, sewage works and riverside

Jay, Great Tit, Collared Dove, Swift, House Martin, Yellow legged Gull, Blackbird, Greenfinch, Hooded Crow, Olivaceous Warbler, Red Rumped Swallow, Peregrine, White Stork, Night Heron (5),Purple Heron, Roller, Goldfinch, Swallow, Pied Wagtail, Cuckoo (heard), Cettis Warbler, Kestrel, Fan Tailed Warbler, Little Owl. Eleanoras Falcon.

Tuesday 5th Beach and back by boat, Riverside walk back to apartment
Purple Heron (4), Black Tern (300+), Common Sandpiper (2), Crested Lark (5), White Tailed Sea Eagle, Short Toed Eagle, Reed Warbler, Black Headed Bunting, Little Egret,
Woodchat Shrike, Masked Shrike, Golden Eagle, Cettis Warbler. Scops Owl (calling from tree in town square in evening)

Wednesday 6th Walk to Kaunos
Collared Flycatcher, Red Footed Falcon (seen from apartment)
Golden Eagle, Lesser Kestrel, Rock Nuthatch, Little Egret (10), Roller, Coot, Fan Tailed Warbler, White Stork,

Thursday 7th Walk to Eskikoy rock outcrop
Red Backed Shrike, Masked Shrike, Woodchat Shrike, Glossy Ibis (40+), Cattle Egret, Squacco Heron, Little Egret, Black Tern, Green Sandpiper, Wood Sandpiper , Black Tailed Godwit, Short Toed Eagle, Long Legged Buzzard, Kestrel, Lesser Kestrel, Penduline Tit, Black Headed Bunting, Rufous Bush Chat, Olivaceous Warbler, Blackcap, Great Tit, Collared Dove, Crested Lark, Goldfinch, Sedge Warbler, Fan Tailed Warbler,

Friday 8th Dolmus to beach
Raven, Chaffinch, Oystercatcher (2), Turtle Dove, Coal Tit, Krupers Nuthatch, Jay, Blue Tit.
Saturday 9th Okcular
Ortalan Bunting, Great Tit, Peregrine, Woodchat Shrike, Roller, Semi-collared Flycatcher, White Stork
Sunday 10th Walk on western outskirts of Dalyan return by riverside.
White winged Black Tern, Glossy Ibis, Sedge Warbler, Wood Sandpiper, Green Sandpiper, Black Tern, Golden Eagle, Kestrel, Cormorant.

Monday 11th Appartment.
Alpine Swift (2), House Martin,
Old Friday 3rd July 2015, 06:34   #106
JohnnyH
Aldershot till I die!

Hi all, I'm heading to Dalyan for a week next month, I won't be hiring a car so would appreciate some info regarding local sites,walks etc.My hotel is situated along the river, been to Turkey last year but first time in Dalyan, thanks in advance.

John.
Old Monday 6th July 2015, 05:30   #107
turkeylandman

walks or birding sites dalyan

Hello John,

if you go on the website www.dalyanbirding.com , then navigate to the 'sites' tab, there is a drop down menu with suggested walks, bike rides etc. it may be worth you while hiring a bike whilst there which can be done easily as the whole area is mainly flat and good for cycling. hope this is of use Brendan
Old Monday 6th July 2015, 05:55   #108
JohnnyH
Aldershot till I die!

Many Thanks Brendan I'll take a look.
Old Tuesday 20th October 2015, 19:10   #109
Foxy

Has anyone any suggestions for good areas to visit in October? We are in Dalyan until next Wednesday and have done ok so far with Kruypers and Rock Nuthatch, a good range of raptors and a few warblers presumably passing through: Orphean, Sardinian, Willow, Chiffchaff and Blackcap. Are there likely to be any Black-headed, Ortolan and Cretzchmers Buntings around?
Old Tuesday 20th October 2015, 20:55   #110
Rob Smallwood

I think you will be too late for Black-headed certainly.

Try contacting Brendan via Twitter (@Dalyanbirding) - he's out there at the moment and had White-throated Kingfisher at a couple of sites nearby also White Pelican.

Also @MalkohaBrian is out there or has recently returned so both may have up to date gen.

Old Saturday 24th October 2015, 07:20   #111
Foxy

Good day at Calis Beach Marsh yesterday. 2 Little Bitterns, Cettis, Black Tern juv, Sandwich Tern ad and juv, Common Tern ad, BHG, Med Gull, 1st winter Slender-billed Gull and an Osprey fishing. Lots of Crag Martins over our hotel in Dalyan in the morning, probably forced sown by low cloud over the crags and thousands of Alpine Swift this morning
Old Sunday 25th October 2015, 12:53   #112
Ruby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
Good day at Calis Beach Marsh yesterday. 2 Little Bitterns, Cettis, Black Tern juv, Sandwich Tern ad and juv, Common Tern ad, BHG, Med Gull, 1st winter Slender-billed Gull and an Osprey fishing. Lots of Crag Martins over our hotel in Dalyan in the morning, probably forced sown by low cloud over the crags and thousands of Alpine Swift this morning
Hi Foxy,

I've been holiday/birdwatching at Dalyan for a while, and not sure I've heard of Calis Beach Marsh - could you let me know where it is...

Thanks... Ray
Old Sunday 25th October 2015, 13:41   #113
Foxy

Hi Ray,

Yes, it is at the East side of Fethiye Bay at the North end of the beach, do you normally have a car? If so as you drive through Fethiye heading West wirh the sea on your left Calis Beach is signposted and you should see the small reedy area to your left. You will turn left on the road and see a small sign to the reserve on the other side of the road. You will have to drive past to the next roundabout and park on the road close to the sign. It is a small lagoon surrounded by reeds wirh a few gaps to view through. The bay is also a good place to set up your scope as that's where many of the things I saw were.
Old Sunday 25th October 2015, 15:39   #114
Ruby

Thanks. I don't usually head out that way, but I do always have a car, so wouldn't be a problem to get there... I may well give it a go next time I'm out, which unfortunately, isn't until next June!!
Old Sunday 25th October 2015, 17:51   #115
Foxy

That might be better as there aren't many summer visitors around now, though we've had a few 'lingerers' to keep us on our toes, or passing migrants: we've also had some lousy weather to bring them down! Obvious falls of Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler, and a few Orphean, Lesser Whitethroat, Blackcap and today a juvenile Ruppell's stood out from the rest. I will do a trip report and photos for rhe Dalyan birding site and probably a few mystery birds on here too.

Last edited by Foxy : Sunday 25th October 2015 at 17:53. Reason: spelling
Old Wednesday 4th November 2015, 13:24   #116
Foxy

I have posted a mystery bird in the main Bird ID thread but realised I would possibly get a better response here so at the risk of repeating myself
I saw this bird on Iztuzu Beach, 15.10.15 when photographing Stonechats and this popped up. I took a quick picture but when I tried to look at it through binoculars it had gone so I'm afraid I can't add any more detail other than that it was a bit larger than the Stonechat.
It looks like a Pipit but it didn't seem big enough or the right proportions - that tail is short - for anything that I'm familiar with.
Any help really appreciated.

I will post a few details of the trip and more pictures shortly as there don't seem to have been many reports of October visits
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mystery Bird, Iztuzu Beach, Dalyan 16.10.15.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	563564  
Old Wednesday 4th November 2015, 15:29   #117
Foxy

Based on comments on the general thread it is a Whinchat
Old Wednesday 4th November 2015, 20:59   #118
turkeylandman

whinchat

having looked at collins bird guide on iPhone does look like female whinchat
Old Monday 21st December 2015, 09:39   #119
turkeylandman

Review of birding from Dalyan for 2015

https://dalyanbirding.wordpress.com/...time-and-luck/
Old Thursday 14th April 2016, 20:50   #120
Garry Bagnell

Has anybody got any sites for Cinerous Bunting in South East Turkey? Staying in Olu Deniz from 5th - 15th August 2016.

Many thanks

Garry
Old Monday 25th July 2016, 03:44   #121
turkeylandman

Just to let people know there is a barn Owl nesting at the rocky Outcrop at Eskikoy now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Barn OwlJ.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	320.6 KB
ID:	592885  
Old Monday 24th October 2016, 09:48   #122
Bananafishbones
Incoherently Rambling .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
Hi Ray,

Yes, it is at the East side of Fethiye Bay at the North end of the beach, do you normally have a car? If so as you drive through Fethiye heading West wirh the sea on your left Calis Beach is signposted and you should see the small reedy area to your left. You will turn left on the road and see a small sign to the reserve on the other side of the road. You will have to drive past to the next roundabout and park on the road close to the sign. It is a small lagoon surrounded by reeds wirh a few gaps to view through. The bay is also a good place to set up your scope as that's where many of the things I saw were.
October 2016 update
Sad to see the closure of the access to this site from the canal path and the removal of the wooden watch tower from the car park side. There is very Limited scope access from the restaurant car park. Only things I could see with the bins (low level viewing from the car park) were 10+ Grey Heron, numerous Redshank and a Little Egret

BF Supporter 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 12th March 2017, 06:27   #123
turkeylandman

I have put a new blog up regarding occurrence of species in Dalyan and some concerns regarding the reed beds . link below
https://dalyanbirding.wordpress.com/...d-area-really/
Old Friday 11th August 2017, 12:29   #124
turkeylandman

the latest blog from dalyanbiring

https://dalyanbirding.wordpress.com
Old Monday 19th February 2018, 19:18   #125
turkeylandman

Just to let people know I have updated the dalyanbirding web site

www.dalyanbirding.com

There are now 46 pages so some photographs, images and maps may take a short time to display on your first launch of the website. If you have previously visited the site the old web site will display until you refresh the the web page , when the new pages will display.

There 24 target birds pages and 13 birding sites with directions. Hope people enjoy and find helpful.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: