• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Taxonomy question (2 Viewers)

mattdavis1979

Supporter
Canada
I would like to know when species in an animal family are stated as "id" or "ine", basically for example, the corvidae family, when are the species classified within this family known as "corvids" and when they are known as "corvines". I have seen both "id" and "ine" in writing a lot over the years but I still do not know when and how either is used.

AFAIK,
"id" = family
"ine" = subfamily/genus

Personally, I think often ridiculously over-used; why not just 'crow family', etc.

Corvine is a 17th century word meaning "of the crow or raven" or "crow-like"; Corvid is a modern zoological coinage meaning "crow" or "raven" (both from Latin corvus crow). Neither has nomenclatural status.

Neither has nomenclatural status.
Correct; they are just colloquial names - but they are colloquial names for the scientific names that do have nomenclatural status.

Worth adding that as colloquial names, they are in normal type, not in italics (as sometimes wrongly done, sadly).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back