• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"A Life of Ospreys" by Roy Dennis (1 Viewer)

Tiger_mz

Anyone got their hands on this book yet? I got my copy today and it is very interesting.

So far two things stand out.

1. Apparently there were ospreys breeding in the Lake District prior to 2001 so all that talk about the first English chick in 150 years will now have to be revised.

2. Apparently a Rutland hatched female has bred in Andalucia. Not sure which one but it certainly increases the survival statistics for Rutland. I am surprised that this news has not come to light until now.

Interesting book.

See http://www.roydennis.org/my%20new%20book.htm

Last edited:
2. Apparently a Rutland hatched female has bred in Andalucia. Not sure which one but it certainly increases the survival statistics for Rutland. I am surprised that this news has not come to light until now.

I'm not quite sure that's what Anglia Water were paying for though - boosting the Spanish population! It must still be considered to be a 'lost bird' to the reintroduction project.

I'm not quite sure that's what Anglia Water were paying for though - boosting the Spanish population! It must still be considered to be a 'lost bird' to the reintroduction project.

Yes and Rutland desperately needs females. Mind you they did not intend to suplly two males to Wales but they did and gave rise to a very good nest there.

For what its worth my Amazon review of this book.
This book, is a revelation, is a masterpiece, is well worth the wait. The author an accepted world expert on Ospreys brings together within its covers a wide range of information from historical hand written notes to the latest cutting edge satellite tracked telemetry. There is something for everyone here, from the casually curious to the dedicated Osprey watcher, and all at a very competitive price. The stunning photographs complement the erudite text in a balanced way rarely achieved in modern publications.
A must have addition to anyones bookshelf. I am absolutely delighted with it. A veritable treasure trove of history and information on that remarkable bird the osprey.
Enjoy
Be lucky
David
Hope it helps
Be lucky
David

Received my copy through the post today, Tiger, and I agree with you. I'm really going to enjoy trawling through it. What a mine of information.

Sandra

No it was done by amazon for some bizzare reason. I have emailed them to get it corrected. I am not holding my breath though.
It is a first class 5* book.
Be lucky
David

Well I am finished this book now. The highlight for me was the news that SSK the wonderful juvenile which thrilled us with its amazing flight back in 2002 made is back to the UK and is now breeding in Scotland.

A great book and invaluable reference.

I am going to a talk in Durham City to be given by Roy Dennis on Tuesday evening (14th Oct. Arranged by Durham RSPB local group). I am hoping he may have brought along some signed copies of the book.

I also love the book. Great personal stories, very good and detailed description of the biology of the Osprey and wonderful conservation success story.

I would love to see a similar book about the White-tailed Eagle.

Markus

Last edited:
I would love to see a similar book about the White-tailed Eagle.
I'll join you in that wish, Markus. I would love to see something similar about Golden Eagles and migrating Swans.
Be lucky
David

I have a book by Roy Dennis about golden eagles - mainly in Strathspey area. It's a large format with wonderful photos (Laurie ??) and I bought it at the Rothiemurchus visitor centre many years ago then when we stayed at Abernethy I took it to his house and he signed it for me. He & Mike Tomkies are two guys I admire muchly.

Wonder if RD is working on a WTE book as we speak? I hope so.

Sandra

So have people read this book? I found it very good.
Try my Amazon.co.uk review for size
This book, is a revelation, is a masterpiece, is well worth the wait. The author an accepted world expert on Ospreys brings together within its covers a wide range of information from historical hand written notes to the latest cutting edge satellite tracked telemetry. There is something for everyone here, from the casually curious to the dedicated Osprey watcher, and all at a very competitive price. The stunning photographs complement the erudite text in a balanced way rarely achieved in modern publications.
A must have addition to anyone's bookshelf. I am absolutely delighted with it. A veritable treasure trove of history and information on that remarkable bird the osprey.
Enjoy
Be lucky
David

Yes I have read it more than once. Brilliant, Awesome don't do it full credit.
Hope it helps
Be lucky
David

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back