• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdingpal website - alive or not? (1 Viewer)

andrewins

Wallis & Futuna
Hello,

The birdingpal website was working in May 2019. Now it is not working but they've taken the annual price from my card for using the website. Does anybody know is it a temporary unavaliability or not?

Hi,

I just checked and I can access the site from here in Switzerland. I used to take out birders here but after over 12 years I "retired" from that activity myself.

Best of luck,

Mike

Same here - seems to be working fine. I have been registered as a pal since it started but have not had anyone contact me for at least 15 years.

And I have never paid a subscription.

Steve

I was also a member for about that length of time and in earlier days took out quite a lot of birders every year in the Geneva region and Alps. However latterly I found many problems with messages getting lost in both directions. I finally removed myself completely as I was getting finger pointed for not responding to messages. I think that the problem is in the software on the site that preserves anonymity until direct connection is established with a potential "client". For many years it worked well and I enjoyed many days out with visiting birders from all over the world.

Mike

Maybe there could be a "birding pal" feature on this website?
Must admit I only used the Birdingpal website once and ended up paying $180 for the day and buying the guy lunch!! So much for covering expenses. He also told me he could make up his paid job by working at home that evening.

Maybe there could be a "birding pal" feature on this website?
Must admit I only used the Birdingpal website once and ended up paying $180 for the day and buying the guy lunch!! So much for covering expenses. He also told me he could make up his paid job by working at home that evening.

Good idea!

I strongly support the idea !

We could share information about guides like telephones, emails, ... and our experience with them, if they are reliable, their kwoledge, ....

Sometimes I post information about guides that I had in different tours and I would be very happy to share even more information.

After a few minor disasters with guides who were actually "nature guides" but not specifically birding guides in Costa Rica, I'd definitely be interested in something like this on the forum.

A possible alternative is "birding gurus" an online directory of worldwide bird guides

https://www.birdinggurus.com/

Thanks, Pete

I have been checking this website and they provide a limited amount of information.

I cannot find any of the guides that guided me in the past.

And, in my opinion, a list of guides is something important to have but it is even more important to have a feedback bout them from other birders.

As, I guess, everybody, we had good, acceptable and no so acceptable guides in our previous tours.

Most of them, despite their quality as a guide, were completely honest and tried to do their best to find the birds for you.

But in a few cases they were not so honest. They tried to get more money from you or they did not fulfilled what was agreed.

So, an open forum like birdforum is the best place to share this kind of information.

Regards,

I had begun writing a long and elaborate response to this thread, but I accidentally deleted it :-C so I will only say that I thoroughly support Dave's idea. There was a similar thread a few years ago, with the same proposal here.

We have been BirdingPal members for about 15 years, and have guided lots of foreign birders and been guided by Pals in other countries, usually keeping in touch afterwards and never asking or being asked for money. Nothing beats local birders when you are looking for up to date info and having company is a plus when you are spending those long hours in the field looking for something to materialise.

The reason why less people are using BP now is that you have to pay to use their contact form, so I would really welcome a similar scheme on BF. It would have to be voluntary and not for profit (although a separate list for professional guides would also be useful). It could be a simple list of names to PM in a "sticky" thread at the top of each single country forum.

That sounds like an excellent idea for when, hopefully, we can all start watching birds again.

Best wishes to you all,

Mike

The reason why less people are using BP now is that you have to pay to use their contact form, so I would really welcome a similar scheme on BF. It would have to be voluntary and not for profit (although a separate list for professional guides would also be useful). It could be a simple list of names to PM in a "sticky" thread at the top of each single country forum.

We could certainly do that :t:

cheers,
Andy

I’ve tried to use BP 10-15 times over the years but then gave it up and didnt renew my membership after several bad experiences vis a vis 3 replies, 1 not available and 2 that I used which charged me full on professional fees (after agreeing and showing me an itinerary!) but also failed to deliver adequately in the field for various reasons. I think a BF scheme is an excellent idea (maybe we could throw in a BF member list of free AirBnB too in exchange for fair gratuity?)

If needed, I volunteer to help, collecting names etc. I think that profiles should include: languages spoken, daily availability (every day, afternoons, weekends only etc), brief info about the area with key species, and also, something which wasn't included in the BP profiles and which I think is very important: if one is willing to meet for a birding "session" (for FREE!!!) or just to provide site information in writing.

It remains to be seen what is the best way to organise such a "service": a dedicated forum or, as I suggested above a "sticky" in each country's forum. A separate list for professional guides, tried and tested by BF members could also be an idea. But of course it's uf the BF staff to decide what's the best way forward.

A possible alternative is "birding gurus" an online directory of worldwide bird guides

https://www.birdinggurus.com/

this seems like an excellent start!

I see many big names and well-known guides so obviously this has been picked up quite rapidly. With a site like this I feel the 'professional' side of birdingpal would be unnecessary.

I tend to find the 'right' guides (and information preparing trips) through my birding network at facebook these days.

If needed, I volunteer to help, collecting names etc. I think that profiles should include: languages spoken, daily availability (every day, afternoons, weekends only etc), brief info about the area with key species, and also, something which wasn't included in the BP profiles and which I think is very important: if one is willing to meet for a birding "session" (for FREE!!!) or just to provide site information in writing.

It remains to be seen what is the best way to organise such a "service": a dedicated forum or, as I suggested above a "sticky" in each country's forum. A separate list for professional guides, tried and tested by BF members could also be an idea. But of course it's uf the BF staff to decide what's the best way forward.

We are happy to "sticky" any thread you create, although as a member you would not be able to edit the thread beyond 24hrs of it's creation. However, follow up posts/replies with details could be made and the details put in the original post by BF moderators or admin. A BF member's username could be hyperlinked to their profile for contact purposes.
cheers,
Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back