• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arthur Cleveland Bent "Life Histories of..." (1 Viewer)

Katy Penland

After a BF member (Wompoo Dove) referred to one of Bent's books in the IBWO thread, it reminded me how great the descriptions were in another of Bent's books I borrowed a few years ago. In doing a Bookfinder.com search, I was blown clear out of the house by the hugeness of the listings under his name and no clue where to start trying to collect a set.

So my question is, just how many volumes constitute a complete set of his "Life Histories" series?

Katy Penland said:
After a BF member (Wompoo Dove) referred to one of Bent's books in the IBWO thread, it reminded me how great the descriptions were in another of Bent's books I borrowed a few years ago. In doing a Bookfinder.com search, I was blown clear out of the house by the hugeness of the listings under his name and no clue where to start trying to collect a set.

So my question is, just how many volumes constitute a complete set of his "Life Histories" series?

It's 26 books: 18 volumes, but some consist of two parts, and the finches even of three. This is the Dover reprints series that I have, but I think they were divided up as the originals.

Katy Penland said:

Yes, the Bent Life Histories are real classics & though badly out-of-date still make very entertaining reading. I've had the Dover reprints for years & consult them all the time.

Some of the individual "histories", by the way, are available on-line: http://www.birdsbybent.com/

Fred Petersen,
Reno, Nevada

Thanks to you both for the info. Yeah, I wouldn't rely on them for the taxonomic info but for the behaviors and descriptions which I found riveting in the one volume I'd seen. Truly a classic. :t:

I wish the booksbybent site could make all his volumes into bona fide "ebook"s so all the accounts could be accessible. Huge chore, I'm sure.

I recently purchased the life history of birds of prey, volume 2, through Amazon.com. You might try there. I agree, these are interesting works. The authors are not afraid to put some emotion in the writing, and their enthusiasm comes through. Modern dissertations (such as BNA) are in comparison dry and harder to get through.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back