• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cambodia bird forum (1 Viewer)

russkie

I hope you will allow this Post to be published.

Everone who knows about Cambodia's recent history (fighting only stopped in 1996/7) might not realise the conditions that the local Khmer population had to endure. Starvation was rife and people resorted to eating/killing anything to survive, including rare and common birds.

Also there was virtually no birding carried out for decades, no field trips no reports of sightings etc.

We are lucky now to have NGOs like Birdlife Int/ WCS/ WWF/ etc carrying out research.

Siem Reap is the main centre for birdtours in the north of the country (Sam Veasna Centre), but Phnom Penh and the southern part of the country has been sparsley birded.

The good news is that thinigs are changing. Local Khmers are able to take university courses in conservation etc and there is a small but growing core of expat birders (some very experienced) and local Khmers interested in birding and recording of species, therefore filling gaps in the country knowledge.

Some of these keen locals cannot even afford a cheap pair of binoculars so we try to share with them.

This thread is simply to signpost or website which contains lots of photos of local birds and is expanding all the time with trip details etc. Please spend a few moments to visit the site and comment if you so wish.

If you would like to help in any way, you can PM me, I'm a long-standing BF member -ex Durham/Essex, and keen to help out in this birder-developing country.

Forum link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/birdsofcambodia/

Please visit - and 'like'if you so wish.

Regards, and thanks for your time

Nigel (Russkie)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back