• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

high sync flash (1 Viewer)

Peter Ericsson

I just got a Canon 580 EX2.

The flash give a full flash in 1/60-1/200 mode. (Canon 350Rebel). For faster speeds the flash gives fill in flash provided High Sync is dialed in.

My question is: How do I maintain fill in flash in slower speeds such as 1/125?
Does the flash default back to full power at 1/200 or does it still give fill in flash as long as the High Sync is dialed in?

Peter

Assuming you are leaving the flash in auto ETTL, the flash should only provide 'fill' if you are in aperture priority mode, whatever the shutter-speed. Remember that the faster the shutter speed, the shorter the distance that the flash can 'reach' (because of the shorter flash duration)...so for anything more than about 20 feet away, a flash extender (better beamer) is helpful.

A good source of information on using flash with Canon EOS can be read here...

Tx a lot for your reply. I usually set the camera on TV priority. I assume it works the same as for Av priority?

I appreciate your reply.

Peter

Yes it does Peter. In AV and TV modes, the camera tries to expose the background correctly and only uses the flash to light the subject.

You can therefore use your camera to adjust both the background exposure using normal exposure compensation and the subject exposure using the flash compensation.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back