• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (19 Viewers)

Metamorphosis- but by Vespa, rather than Kafka

I suppose it had to happen: Josh has phased again. At least he’s not an insect !

Never mind. Let’s hope he doesn’t ask you to pay the bill: it could be substantial, in a 3-star establishment. I also hope there isn’t a claws in his contract, which precludes the employment of non-humans. I assume he didn’t attempt to torq to you ?

I must say, he’s game, continuing to bird, without optical assistance of any kind. Right up to Halfway House ? Did he bash the sueda ? That’d be a tail to tell.

As for my Hornet at Muckleburgh on 6th inst.: the County Bee etc. Recorder emailed to say his earliest had been on 27 March 2003.

Last edited:
almost a window tick!

I suppose it had to happen: Josh has phased again. At least he’s not an insect !

Never mind. Let’s hope he doesn’t ask you to pay the bill: it could be substantial, in a 3-star establishment. I also hope there isn’t a claws in his contract, which precludes the employment of non-humans. I assume he didn’t attempt to torq to you ?

I must say, he’s game, continuing to bird, without optical assistance of any kind. Right up to Halfway House ? Did he bash the sueda ? That’d be a tail to tell.

As for my Hornet at Muckleburgh on 6th inst.: the County Bee etc. Recorder emailed to say his earliest had been on 27 March 2003.

Friday night usually a bit messy, but last night no band playing which meant i surfaced at the still unbirdy time of 9 oçlock but as John would perhaps say if he was feeling particularly inspired the late bird catches the Kite. With pager assistance i though i better lift the droopy lids skyward but tickled pink to have a sunshiny Red Kite circling over the hotel! Get up on those ridges boys and girls raptors is on :t:

Raven over Denver this lunchtime, circling over the village then flew south. Had to leave my lunch to check it out, but glad I did!

Great morning beetling (geddit John!) around more potential goldmines in the Blakeney area, however looks like the Red Kites this morning were the remains of the passage yesterday - wind changed?

Wiveton Downs was quiet for raptors but lots of Blackcap and Willow Warbler in. There is still at least 1 male Ring Ouzel between Wiveton Downs and Langham in the two fields just West of old tip flying between hedges also an illuminated Med Gull in a big kettle of Gulls.

Raptor passage this am at Holme, where are you Ms Clarke? at least 2 red kites, someone reckoned four, and a very high hen harrier drifted west. All over Holme village and the ridge. Pom skua/b.res/ and now beetlejuice! Howdy Josh.

Brecks this morning

Cuckoo at Santon Downham before 9am.
Lesser-spotted woodpecker did not start drumming until 915 and showed well for a short while at 925 in a dead tree near the St Helen's well junction: before flying off.
Good numbers of crossbills and a few redpolls.

At the usual site a probable distant goshawk, seen only by me the first time of the two times it showed. Overshadowed by a spiralling, circling and displaying male gos. All features noted with bins. At one time in same binocular view as the red-tailed hawk and two common buzzards. Plus one or two tree pipits.

Last edited:
A day for listening

Gramboro’ held a male Stonechat that, I’m almost sure, was ‘new’. It was first in the brambles just west of t’hill and easily the most flighty for yonks; then was disturbed by dog people and flew to the bowl, where it gave a few, scratchy phrases of song; then by me, when it went far and high east towards Kelling.

Walsey held some people, with whom pleasant conversation was had for some time. Nobby then perked up his ear, at a short trill that I Wrenned? at- this was quickly repeated and elongated into something reely unexpected- the song of Grasshopper Warbler. A Bee-fly Bombylius major (LH photo) was captured digitally and a Cetti’s gave a couple of reminiscences of Nightingale song- the first time I’ve heard one do this.

Stiffkey and its environs had long lost the Crane, but more Bee-flies (one in RH photo) were in evidence. Green Sandpipers, Med Gulls and an LRP brightened the latter part of the afternoon.

Attachments

• 007pse1.jpg
    007pse1.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 020pse_edited-1.jpg
    020pse_edited-1.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 103
It`s all about timing so "they" say & yesterday i got it right. I`d only gone up to Incleborough Hill to look for Adders with the kids & within about 10 minutes we had 2 Red Kites & a Buzzard fly over. Today i spent about 3 hours up there & only managed the Crane as we were leaving. Still at least i saw a Bee-fly in the garden first thing this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_1335-1.JPG
    IMG_1335-1.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 80
Raptor passage this am at Holme, where are you Ms Clarke?

Saving lives at Gun Hill!!!!!!! etc etc - See my blog for non birdy stuff and why I had to ring 999!!!

Woke up naturally at just after 5am - decided to have another few minutes and when I next looked at the clock it said 7.30am - BOTHER! Had intended on going out VERY early this morning... oh well!! By the time I got out of the house it was 9am. Absoutely stunning day - for the first time I did not wear my coat! Delivered shopping to my parents. A Great Grey Shrike had been caught and ringed at Holme Bird Observatory (courtesy of RBA). Presuming the shrike had gone I continued on to Titchwell for a short while before hitting Burnham Overy Dunes.

Titchwell produced Cettis Warbler singing in the carpark. Looked for the Lesser Whitethroat that someone had heard but to no avail, but did hear a Blackcap and Willow Warbler singing away in the blackthorn, now in flower. Lots of Bees buzzing about today everywhere in the glorious sunshine and Robins sitting about looking pretty. Nothing on the ploughed field at the end of the carpark apart from a couple of red legged partridges and a kestrel - not a single wheatear either! A Common Buzzard went west over the Fen Trail at 11am Heard my first Sedge Warbler by the Island Hide at 11.45am and a pair of Red crested Pochard were by the far side of the brackish marsh. A very crisp male Reed Bunting sat in sueda along the main bank. Several Chiffchaffs flitting about in the trees opposite the first seat along the main bank. Also, Long tailed tits and goldfinches near main carpark. Another Common Buzzard at 12.30pm over the carpark whilst munching on a sandwich. Saw Robin Abel in the carpark who told me the Grey Grey Shrike was still on view at Holme.

I decided to go to Thornham Harbour and walk to see the shrike after a kind phone call from Ray Roche telling me the shrike had bounded east over the Thornham Bank and he was viewing it in a suada bush from the first sharp corner of the bank. On parking the car I phoned Ray to see if it was still showing and was told it was a distant hazy smudge in the middle of the marsh...hmmmmmm.... ok Penny, you are not year listing, you don't NEED a distant smudge - keep to plan and go to Burnham Overy!!! There were 7 Black tailed godwits feeding away in the chanel by the coal barn. Got back in car and continued along coast road to park at Burnham Over Staithe (now 2pm).

Parked the car off the road about quarter of a mile past the Hero Pub on left hand side and followed the track down that joins with the Burnham Overy Staithe main public footpath. I passed a birder not long after starting my walk - I wish now I had asked him if he had seen anything as I saw very little for all my effort! Birds seen: lapwings displaying, greylags, brent geese, redshanks, Little Egret, carrion crows, cormorants flying over, Cettis' Warbler singing and Bearded Tits 'pinging'. On reaching Gun Hill area I decided to sit the other side on the edge of dune to have a cup of tea and sandwich - from this point I could see the beach, Scolt Head and Burnham Over Staithe - it was a beautiful day, it felt like summer!

See my blog: http://pennyshotbirdingandlife.blogspot.com for what happened next!

My plan was to walk to through the dunes and on through Holkham Pines and Lady Anne's to catch the coastliner from the Victoria back to my car. (This will be my new route to avoid paying £5 to park in the new ticket machines in Lady Anne's Drive!) My walk produced very little, in fact all I saw were a handful of linnets! The best thing I found was a Sand Wasp I found scurrying about just before Holkham Pines. Couple of chiffchaffs by the gate at the beginning of the main path through the pines and a Marsh Harrier. On reaching Joe Jordans Hide, I decided to change my route - I followed the path that diverted off left from the hide and followed the track all the way up to the road - nothing particularly special on route... a couple of chiffychaffs, egyptian geese, greylags, little egret oh and a barn owl, climbed over a 5-bar wooden gate, crossed the road and stood by the entrance to Holkham Park's church and had about 2 minutes to spare before the 5.47pm Coastliner turned up! Had a cup of coffee back at my car and then continued along the coast road.

Just after Stiffkey I parked the car by the gate (which says 'no parking'!) known as 'White Bridges' just after the track/bridge to Stiffkey Fen and stood for ages trying to photograph fish leaping out of the water to catch midges - it was fascinating to watch and I did manage to get ONE out of focus picture - it was a miracle I got one at all! In the picture I could see purple markings on the side of the fish - anyone any ideas what they were please? Also saw a barn owl and a marsh harrier here.

House on the Hill, Blakeney - not much here, apart from chaffinches, great tit, blue tit and jackdaws.

Coastguards, Cley - only came here to watch the sun setting and to be by the sea. A family had lit a fire/barbecue about 50 yards from the carpark, on route to North Hide - what do they think this is - a seaside resort!!!:-C:C Barn Owl along beach road.

Walsey Hills - walked up to the top of the steps and in the last glimmers of light watched a heron flying lazily across East Bank. Greylags squabbling loudly in the Snipe's Marsh and a Cettis Warbler singing.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
but if you had gone 2 Holme you would have seen the great grey shrike , it looked fab

Saving lives at Gun Hill!!!!!!! etc etc - See my blog for non birdy stuff and why I had to ring 999!!!

Woke up naturally at just after 5am - decided to have another few minutes and when I next looked at the clock it said 7.30am - BOTHER! Had intended on going out VERY early this morning... oh well!! By the time I got out of the house it was 9am. Absoutely stunning day - for the first time I did not wear my coat! Delivered shopping to my parents. A Great Grey Shrike had been caught and ringed at Holme Bird Observatory (courtesy of RBA). Presuming the shrike had gone I continued on to Titchwell for a short while before hitting Burnham Overy Dunes.

Titchwell produced Cettis Warbler singing in the carpark. Looked for the Lesser Whitethroat that someone had heard but to no avail, but did hear a Blackcap and Willow Warbler singing away in the blackthorn, now in flower. Lots of Bees buzzing about today everywhere in the glorious sunshine and Robins sitting about looking pretty. Nothing on the ploughed field at the end of the carpark apart from a couple of red legged partridges and a kestrel - not a single wheatear either! A Common Buzzard went west over the Fen Trail at 11am Heard my first Sedge Warbler by the Island Hide at 11.45am and a pair of Red crested Pochard were by the far side of the brackish marsh. A very crisp male Reed Bunting sat in sueda along the main bank. Several Chiffchaffs flitting about in the trees opposite the first seat along the main bank. Also, Long tailed tits and goldfinches near main carpark. Another Common Buzzard at 12.30pm over the carpark whilst munching on a sandwich. Saw Robin Abel in the carpark who told me the Grey Grey Shrike was still on view at Holme.

I decided to go to Thornham Harbour and walk to see the shrike after a kind phone call from Ray Roche telling me the shrike had bounded east over the Thornham Bank and he was viewing it in a suada bush from the first sharp corner of the bank. On parking the car I phoned Ray to see if it was still showing and was told it was a distant hazy smudge in the middle of the marsh...hmmmmmm.... ok Penny, you are not year listing, you don't NEED a distant smudge - keep to plan and go to Burnham Overy!!! There were 7 Black tailed godwits feeding away in the chanel by the coal barn. Got back in car and continued along coast road to park at Burnham Over Staithe (now 2pm).

Parked the car off the road about quarter of a mile past the Hero Pub on left hand side and followed the track down that joins with the Burnham Overy Staithe main public footpath. I passed a birder not long after starting my walk - I wish now I had asked him if he had seen anything as I saw very little for all my effort! Birds seen: lapwings displaying, greylags, brent geese, redshanks, Little Egret, carrion crows, cormorants flying over, Cettis' Warbler singing and Bearded Tits 'pinging'. On reaching Gun Hill area I decided to sit the other side on the edge of dune to have a cup of tea and sandwich - from this point I could see the beach, Scolt Head and Burnham Over Staithe - it was a beautiful day, it felt like summer!

See my blog: http://pennyshotbirdingandlife.blogspot.com for what happened next!

My plan was to walk to through the dunes and on through Holkham Pines and Lady Anne's to catch the coastliner from the Victoria back to my car. (This will be my new route to avoid paying £5 to park in the new ticket machines in Lady Anne's Drive!) My walk produced very little, in fact all I saw were a handful of linnets! The best thing I found was a Sand Wasp I found scurrying about just before Holkham Pines. Couple of chiffchaffs by the gate at the beginning of the main path through the pines and a Marsh Harrier. On reaching Joe Jordans Hide, I decided to change my route - I followed the path that diverted off left from the hide and followed the track all the way up to the road - nothing particularly special on route... a couple of chiffychaffs, egyptian geese, greylags, little egret oh and a barn owl, climbed over a 5-bar wooden gate, crossed the road and stood by the entrance to Holkham Park's church and had about 2 minutes to spare before the 5.47pm Coastliner turned up! Had a cup of coffee back at my car and then continued along the coast road.

Just after Stiffkey I parked the car by the gate (which says 'no parking'!) known as 'White Bridges' just after the track/bridge to Stiffkey Fen and stood for ages trying to photograph fish leaping out of the water to catch midges - it was fascinating to watch and I did manage to get ONE out of focus picture - it was a miracle I got one at all! In the picture I could see purple markings on the side of the fish - anyone any ideas what they were please? Also saw a barn owl and a marsh harrier here.

House on the Hill, Blakeney - not much here, apart from chaffinches, great tit, blue tit and jackdaws.

Coastguards, Cley - only came here to watch the sun setting and to be by the sea. A family had lit a fire/barbecue about 50 yards from the carpark, on route to North Hide - what do they think this is - a seaside resort!!!:-C:C Barn Owl along beach road.

Walsey Hills - walked up to the top of the steps and in the last glimmers of light watched a heron flying lazily across East Bank. Greylags squabbling loudly in the Snipe's Marsh and a Cettis Warbler singing.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

;)

Just had an excellent few days based out of Hunstanton (6th - 10th April) :t:.

I have written up details on my blog and images recorded on both blog and website.

Single Sedge Warbler and a Common Whitethroat singing at Denver Sluice this morning along with at least 5 Willow Warblers. The Egyptian Geese still have all 7 young thankfully!

Holkham Hall & Pines

After reading all of your birding exploits, i thought we would have a go. So it was finally nice to feel the sun on the back again.

Decided on Holkham after recent purchase of Neil Glenn's Best Bird Watching Sights book. Turned right on entry in to the park as described and was met with the spellbinding sound of a Mistle Thrush.

Wallked down to monument as described, sure enough Woodpecker drumming but elusive.

We walked down to a lake that just seemed to go on forever. Had a Barn Owl (which is always special) fly over the water to the small island & disappear in the trees.

Spring has finally arrived as we were treated to Mallard Ducklings (x24) & Egyptian Goslings (x12)

Also on the water was Great Crested & Little Grebes, Greylag, Coot, Moorhen, Pochard, Tuffed Ducks & Mute Swans.

Up through an area of conservation we caught a glimpse of Great Spotted Woodpecker high up before it flew off. Plenty of Treecreepers, Nuthatches, Great & Blue tits singing & going from tree to tree. A Tawn Owl gave a hoot by the side of Church on the grounds.

Through the deer park the only thing to see was as you probly guest, loads of Fallow Deer.

Stopped of for nice cuppa at the Hall's Tearooms & had a rather friendly Male Chaffinch visited our Table.

Continued our walk back to the monument & out, no sign of a Kingfisher (one day maybe) spotted a lone female Roe Deer. Was amazed to see Oystercatches on the vast lawns.

We stopped & had a chat to a nice elderly man who was on the hunt for a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, told him about the drumming earlier and our sighting. He said he had been to Cley (there was nothing out of the ordinary) & was off to Titchwell next after having a look down at the lake near our sighting. I hope he was lucky to find what he was looking for.

After another cuppa at the Tearooms by the Road, we were off up Lady Anne's Drive saw plenty of cars & people, (they must have taken a lot of £5.00s Penny). We walked up to the broadwalk & viewing platform for a picnic and enjoyed the veiw. Walked back to the George Washington Hide didn't see anything, so we walked pass Meols House to Joe Jordan Hide but didn't see anything there either.

On our way back to go home we spotted a warbler size bird either reed or marsh going by our book but as the sun was into our faces the bird in question was backlit which was a shame.

Also i do hope that the person who needed the rescue services yesterday at the beach is alright.

Sorry if the post is long winded, but what a first time at Holkham.

Has anyone else come across this territorial, and rather foolish, male pheasant?
Having set off at dawn on Weds from Cley Coastguards towards Blakeney Point, I was soon confronted by a male Pheasant along the south side. It was spoiling for a fight ...

My Strumpshaw pheasant was much more relaxed and cooler than yours.

;)
but if you [Penny] had gone 2 Holme you would have seen the great grey shrike , it looked fab

After a good morning in the Brecks I did not fancy a long trip to Holme. Thus my very satisfactory Norfolk year list will always be lower than that for birders who chase everything.

Besides, I saw a great grey shrike for nothing on the back of not seeing the lesser kestrel until the third day, Tuesday. Both on view from the Westleton Heath quarry.

Attachments

• Pheasant Strumpshaw 9 April.jpg
    Pheasant Strumpshaw 9 April.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 65
Yo Dudes.

Great views today of the ring ouzel between wiveton and langham. Was very lucky how I dropped onto it. Saw a couple of warblers fly into a hedge (blackcaps), stopped to observe, Ring Ouzel flew out, bonus.

Nice one.
Foxy.

Titchwell April 12th

Today's highlights

Red kite - 1 SE over reserve @ 08:15
Red crested pochard - pair on fresh marsh
Little gull - 1st summer on fresh marsh
Peregrine - 1 on beach mid afternoon

Paul

Hey Stuey White, not a squeak from the pager and even BF forgot it was yer birthday! Hope you had a good one ; - ) cheers mate, Josh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back