• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden tick of the year. (1 Viewer)

pauco

Старлин&
Very busy in garden this am, due to slight snow overnight. 12 male Blackbirds + 4 females, and all the other regulars, but the best for me was the sight of 2 Fieldfares!! life garden tick :t: what a start to the day.

I've been keeping everything crossed for Waxwings, every flock of Starling sized birds gets my hopes up but nothing yet, still several hundred in local area.

on the subject of Fieldfares have had a very good flock in fields next to where I work for a few days & no idea what they're eating, the field where they spent most of the afternoon is only occaisonally used for grazing sheep.

In other years they've been in old orchard, but last autumn I discovered too late that someone decided to take all the windfalls to feed to their pig :C, they used to attract good numbers of Fieldfare and Redwing.

will be putting a stop to that next year.

I've been keeping everything crossed for Waxwings, every flock of Starling sized birds gets my hopes up but nothing yet, still several hundred in local area.

Up here, a flock of starling-size birds is rather more likely to be Waxwings!

on the subject of Fieldfares have had a very good flock in fields next to where I work for a few days & no idea what they're eating, the field where they spent most of the afternoon is only occaisonally used for grazing sheep.

Probably earthworms, slugs, leatherjackets, butterfly pupae, and any other invertebrates they can find

Every time I see a flock of starling-sized birds I look but, so far, haven't got myself any waxwings!
Are there any good spots where they are hanging around NOW? Though the way this snow has started falling since dusk with hardly any let up I have a feeling that we won't be able to get out in the 4X4 tomorrow, never mind my Micra! Wellies it is! LOL

GILL

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back