• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Outstanding Razorbill movement, plus a few Dovekies, in Cape May, New Jersey (1 Viewer)

birdmeister

United States
Hello all,

It has been reported on the New Jersey birding listserv that there are unprecedented Razorbill numbers passing Cape May now.

Back in mid-late December, 4,000+ were counted (north- and southbound) past the Avalon Seawatch in 8 days just as the season was ended. Another 3,000+ were counted more recently in a single day (!), with 7 Dovekies/Little Auks (!!!) mixed in. Also, a Black Guillemot was reported flying south past Sandy Hook, in the northern part of the state.

To give a bit of perspective, the Avalon Seawatch's previous season high was 86 Razorbills, I believe. I guess it's possible that they had a tremendous breeding season, but it seems more likely to me that something catastrophic has happened to the food source up north.

I am hoping to head down next week and see if I can catch a bit of the action.

Last edited:
Do you have any more information about the auk movements? Did you manage to catch a bit of the action?

Yes, more of the same. Recently, however, there were 10,000 Razorbills in one day and at least two more Thick-billed Murres (Brunnich's Guillemot)! Dovekies (Little Auks) have been seen again, too. On the big Razorbill day there were 7000 in one hour!

I made it down on two days, seeing probably close to 1000 total. No other alcids, but still amazing!

I'll try to put in a few eBird checklist links from others later today.

Amazing numbers considering the previous season high of just 86!

Any higher than average, or lower than average, at localities further north where they are more usual, eg Cape Cod?

Amazing numbers considering the previous season high of just 86!

Any higher than average, or lower than average, at localities further north where they are more usual, eg Cape Cod?

I will have to check, but I have some interesting information after a recent trip to Cape May.

Apparently the main distribution of Sand Lance (preferred prey) has shifted southward towards the southern New York/New Jersey area, as opposed to offshore Massachusetts. This might suggest only a shift in food source and not a catastrophe. It was observed that birds at Cape May looked healthy and were feeding well, with none washing up dead. Also, when faced with starvation large numbers may move south to Florida, which has not happened this time.

Humpback Whales were also observed actively feeding close to shore, which suggests decent food concentrations.

I will have to check, but I have some interesting information after a recent trip to Cape May.

Apparently the main distribution of Sand Lance (preferred prey) has shifted southward towards the southern New York/New Jersey area, as opposed to offshore Massachusetts. This might suggest only a shift in food source and not a catastrophe. It was observed that birds at Cape May looked healthy and were feeding well, with none washing up dead. Also, when faced with starvation large numbers may move south to Florida, which has not happened this time.

Humpback Whales were also observed actively feeding close to shore, which suggests decent food concentrations.

Florida, so far, has gotten a Thick-billed Murre, however. About the 5th State record.

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back