• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trinovid HD 8x32 & 8x42 first impressions (1 Viewer)

Foss

United States
Wow!
I've owned a lot of binoculars over the years, but none as good! Clarity, contrast, tack-sharp focus, view to the edge, ergonomics, and overall feel are over the moon on these two beauties.
I might have more info later, but I doubt it as I will be outdoors glassing the entire universe!
Disclaimer: These are the nicest, most expensive binoculars I've ever bought for myself, so can't compare them with any others.

Attachments

• IMG_2869.JPG
    IMG_2869.JPG
    313.6 KB · Views: 912
Interesting, the 32 doesn't look that much smaller than the 42 in this photo.

I haven't seen one in person yet.
The reviews I've read so far all seem to say they're very sharp in the center view and have good CA control.

Enjoy !

Last edited:
Interesting, the 32 doesn't look that much smaller than the 42 in this photo.
Curious indeed. The 42 is about the same size/weight as the Ultravid, among the most compact, while the 32 is half an inch taller than the UV, and 4 oz/115g heavier! (Both models have less FOV, though more eye relief.)

Interesting that one should want both.

Wow!
I've owned a lot of binoculars over the years, but none as good! Clarity, contrast, tack-sharp focus, view to the edge, ergonomics, and overall feel are over the moon on these two beauties.
I might have more info later, but I doubt it as I will be outdoors glassing the entire universe!
Disclaimer: These are the nicest, most expensive binoculars I've ever bought for myself, so can't compare them with any others.
Foss, I know this is an old thread but after a few years do you still own/use either of these? If you do, what are your favorite aspects of these models? I'm researching a few models and these two are near the top of my list. Thanks!

Superb bins.... I do wish the Trini 8x32 was just a bit less bulky and weighty, but wow, isn't that close-up distance the cat's meow? Jim

Foss, I know this is an old thread but after a few years do you still own/use either of these? If you do, what are your favorite aspects of these models? I'm researching a few models and these two are near the top of my list. Thanks!
Hey Imans,
Sold the 32s mainly due to weight and bulk. Now running with a Zeiss FL 8x32 that is smaller, lighter, and has a wider FOV.
I still have the 42 HD, but very recently picked up a 7x42 Ultravid HD that will likely usurp it. Though I don't know why I keep either of them, since I use 8x32 > 99% of the time.
My relationship with binoculars doesn't make a whole lot of sense at the moment. Though I've sold off most of my vintage collection, I simply can't let go of my Swaro CL 8x30 (1st gen) or (for some reason that seemed to make sense at the time) a second FL 8x32 I bought as a back-up.
Regarding my favorite aspects of the HDs, I'd say they exude Leica's famous image quality. Sharp, generous sweet spot, and well modeled images (Subjects have a three dimensional quality that I can't quite put into words, though others on the forum probably can).
~ Foss

Hey Imans,
Sold the 32s mainly due to weight and bulk. Now running with a Zeiss FL 8x32 that is smaller, lighter, and has a wider FOV.
I still have the 42 HD, but very recently picked up a 7x42 Ultravid HD that will likely usurp it. Though I don't know why I keep either of them, since I use 8x32 > 99% of the time.
My relationship with binoculars doesn't make a whole lot of sense at the moment. Though I've sold off most of my vintage collection, I simply can't let go of my Swaro CL 8x30 (1st gen) or (for some reason that seemed to make sense at the time) a second FL 8x32 I bought as a back-up.
Regarding my favorite aspects of the HDs, I'd say they exude Leica's famous image quality. Sharp, generous sweet spot, and well modeled images (Subjects have a three dimensional quality that I can't quite put into words, though others on the forum probably can).
~ Foss
Does our passion with binoculars have anything to do with common sense:) ... More like a teen ager in heat..

It makes perfect sense to me, back-up is everything nowadays 😜

Hey Imans,
~ Foss
Foss,

With regard to the 7x42 Ultravid HD+ potentially usurping the Trinovid HD 8x42, I also acquired the 7x42 earlier this year and find it astounding, but quite often I wonder if the 8x42 Trinovid HD (or the 8x32) would be "good enough" for my uses. I've never been able to find one to try out. I know it's a personal determination with many factors involved. From what I gather the jump from Trinovid to Ultravid gets you the last small bit of clarity/contrast (better/more glass), a central locking diopter and greaseless focuser, ability to use a top-tier 7x (no 7x armored + waterproof Trinovid at the moment), different physical configuration between the models, better hydrophobic coatings though not any more or less durable than the non-aquadura coatings found on the Trinovid HD (spoke to a Leica sport optics representative about that). I've heard they are on equal footing in terms of physical robustness/durability and perhaps as a result, longevity.

When you use your 7x42 UV and your Trinovid HD 8x42 side by side, what sorts of things jump out to you as you handle them and view through them? Anything in the Trinovid HD you prefer to the UV or the other way around?

As always, thanks everyone for your input, it's all very helpful!

I wanted small binoculars for vacation trip, ordered Trinovid HD+ 8x32 with overnight delivery. Played with it for a few hours and decided to left them home, return when getting back from Cabo San Lucas on Sunday. Great binoculars but I found it slightly too bulky and too heavy than I expected. Returning, ordering Ultravid 8x32 instead.

The Trinovid, like any of the ~$1K type "almost alpha" binoculars (Conquest HD, Meopta Meostar, Maven B series, etc) is almost certainly "good enough" for nearly anyone. But unless you really need the few hundred bucks you'd save by selling the 7x42 UVHD at a loss and then buying something cheaper, I don't see the point.

I own the 7x42 UVHD+ and have owned/tried many others, and I would not even consider making that swap TBH.

The only advantage the 8x42 Trinovid HD would have is slightly more magnification and better close focus distance. But this is offset by the 7x42 UV advantages:

• Much wider FOV but also sharper to the edge -- so you get a bigger view AND a bigger sweet spot
  • More depth of field -- less focusing and more relaxed view with more stuff in focus
  • Less color fringing (Trinovid isn't bad, but UVHD is clearly better corrected overall)
  • Brighter, more saturated/contrasty view with that last small bit of clarity" you mention
  • Much better diopter adjustment on UV

The view of the Trinovid HD is excellent, whereas the 7x42 UVHD is just sublime. It's hard to downgrade once you're used to the best.

I think the build quality on the UV is higher but more in terms of "fit and finish", not so much in terms of robustness/longevity. All Leica products are sturdy and durable, but the UV feels more "classy" with higher quality materials. The Trinovid is built to a lower price point and by necessity will cut some corners to get there. But I have no doubt that either will last decades.

Also you won't be saving any size/weight with the 8x42, and the 8x32 Trinovid is pretty bulky/heavy for a 32mm. The Ultravid 7x42 is among the most compact and lightweight premium 42mm out there, and is barely larger than a bulky 8x32 like the Trinovid or Conquest HD (which are only ~100g lighter).

I wanted small binoculars for vacation trip, ordered Trinovid HD+ 8x32 with overnight delivery. Played with it for a few hours and decided to left them home, return when getting back from Cabo San Lucas on Sunday. Great binoculars but I found it slightly too bulky and too heavy than I expected. Returning, ordering Ultravid 8x32 instead.
Yes unfortunately, as I was saying above, a lot of 8x32 models aren't even that small or light. Back in the day, when the typical premium 42mm was a 900-1000g brick like Swaro SLC or Nikon Premier, a 650g 32mm would be a nice downsizing. The current Trinovid HD 8x32 is sort of an oddball to me given Leica's track record of making among the most compact binoculars in their respective class. Perhaps they were trying to evoke the nostalgia and ergonomic of the old school Trinovid BA/BN models that are so popular? But the 32mm Trinovid HD is barely smaller/lighter than the 42mm variants, with no increase in FOV, so I don't really see the point?

The Ultravid 32mm on the other hand is (until the introduction of the Zeiss 30mm SFL) by far the smallest, lightest, most compact premium 32mm on the market. It's barely larger than the 8x25 Zeiss VP as you can see below! It's smaller than 8x30 Swaro CL-B, and even the venerable Zeiss 8x32 FL is considerably bulkier with the fat barrels.

The only real downside to the UV 8x32 is the mediocre eye relief... not a problem if you don't wear glasses, but if you do wear glasses you might want to consider the Zeiss 8x30 SFL instead.

1702580572667.png

Eitan,
Thank you very much, I appreciate your advices and posted photo!
Eye relief shouldn't be an issue - I did Lasik 2+ years ago, so, no more glasses.
Zeiss SFL seems to be really good and light binoculars, my only worry is about reduced, "thinner" lens. Also, somehow, I do not like how Zeiss SFL looks like, externally. So, Leica Ultravid :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back