• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (59 Viewers)

Tree Pipit south over the heath in the Education Reserve (Paul Rhodes) takes us to 89, equalling our autumn All-Day record

Tree Pipit also a year tick (#136)

Finally at 8.40pm the Barn owl reappeared along the footpath close to the transmitter building. A great day considering very little visible migration from non passerines.B :)

All very close this year with Belvide finishing on 91, Upton Warren on 89 and Grimley on 88. Middleton Lakes were some distance behind on 77; not sure if Sandwell were playing.

All very close this year with Belvide finishing on 91, Upton Warren on 89 and Grimley on 88. Middleton Lakes were some distance behind on 77; not sure if Sandwell were playing.

It fell on completely the wrong date for us Sandwell'ers. Most people were away or unavailable so we couldn't get any coverage unfortunately. We'll be back in Spring I'm sure.

As I will be in Stockport tomorrow cheering on Worcester City FC I did my own all-dayer today, logging 67 species in all. Highlights were the lone Barnacle Goose, Little Egret & 3 Barnacle Geese at the Moors Pool - hope they are all still there tomorrow - 2 Dunlin, 2 Green Sands, Common Sand, Avocet & 17 Curlews at the Flashes. Unfortunately there was no sign of either Dunlin at the end of the day.

Birds I didn't see included Peregrine, Kingfisher & Willow Warbler -all of which were seen by others on site today. I also missed out on Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush, Whitethroat, Redstart, Grey Wagtail, Meadow Pipit, Skylark, Hobby and Rook to name a few. So, hopefully, with many eyes looking you should get somewhere near 80 species tomorrow.

Good luck to everyone involved. I'll be checking my mobile for updates on a regular basis I'm sure. John, can you get a copy of the annual report for me please. I'll pay you next time I see you.

All the best,

Andy P.B :)B :)B :)B :)
B :)Andy....I will save you and the others that have asked when they arrive.:t:

Saturday 5th September - All-Day Birdwatch

1. Mute Swan
2. Canada Goose
3. Barnacle Goose - 1 at the Moors Pool
4. Greylag Goose - 47 at the Moors Pool (record count for the year)
5. Wigeon - 1 at the Moors Pool
6. Mallard - c400 at the Flashes first thing
7. Gadwall
8. Shoveler - 29 at the Flashes
9. Teal
10. Tufted Duck
11. Coot
12. Moorhen - 29 at the Flashes
13. Water Rail
14. Great Crested Grebe - 2 well-developed young at the Sailing Pool
15. Little Grebe
16. Cormorant
17. Grey Heron
18. Little Egret - 1 initially at the Flashes then moved to the Moors Pool
19. Pheasant
20. Buzzard
21. Sparrowhawk
22. Peregrine Falcon
23. Hobby - Moors Pool
24. Kestrel - bird frequently perched on wires by the first Flash
25. Avocet - 1 adult with injured leg lingering at the Flashes
26. Lapwing
27. Dunlin - 2 at the Flashes
28. Common Sandpiper - 1 at the Flashes
29. Green Sandpiper - 3 at the Flashes
30. Snipe
31. Curlew - 18 at Flashes
32. Black-headed Gull - 1,400 in the Flashes roost
33. Lesser Black-backed Gull - c50 in the Flashes roost
34. Herring Gull - 4+ in the Flashes roost
35.Common Tern - adult and juvenile still commuting between the Sailing Pool and Moors Pool
36. Wood Pigeon
37. Stock Dove - 72 at the Flashes
38. Feral Pigeon
39. Collared Dove
40. Green Woodpecker
41. Great Spotted Woodpecker
42. Barn Owl - at the Flashes first thing, perching on hide roof. Perched up on transmitter mast compound building last thing.
43. Kingfisher
44. Swift - at least 12 through the reserve during the course of the day
45. Pied Wagtail
46. Grey Wagtail
47. Yellow Wagtail - 1 over the Moors Pool
48. Meadow Pipit - first record of the autumn
49. Tree Pipit - one calling as it is flew south over the heath in the Education Reserve, the first of the year
50. Sand Martin
51. House Martin
52. Swallow
53. Redstart - both male and female-type in hedgerows between the reserve and the transmitter mast compound
54. Blackbird
55. Song Thrush
56. Mistle Thrush
57. Robin
58. Dunnock
59. Wren
60. Cetti's Warbler
61. Reed Warbler - Flashes
62. Sedge Warbler - Flashes
63. Whitethroat
64. Lesser Whitethroat
65. Garden Warbler - singles at North Moors and top of the steps at the Flashes
66. Blackcap
67. Willow Warbler - Sailing Pool
68. Chiffchaff
69. Goldcrest
70. Long-tailed Tit
71. Blue Tit
72. Coal Tit -Moors Pool
73. Great Tit
74. Treecreeper
75. Nuthatch - Moors Pool
76. Starling
77. Carrion Crow
78. Raven - one frequently flew over the Flashes
79. Rook - several fly over reports plus six in the stubble fields north of the Flashes
80. Jackdaw
81. Magpie
82. Jay
83. Chaffinch
84. Greenfinch
85. Bullfinch
86. Linnet
87. Goldfinch
88. Siskin - 15 through the Moors Pool; 1 over the Flashes
89. Reed Bunting

Many thanks to all the participants who included:

John B, John R, Mike W, Mike & Yvonne, Paul R, Keith, Phil W, Phil Q, Phil J, Dave J, Dave W, Graham LaB, Peter E, Janette, Chris C, Tim & Mary, Craig, Des, Kevin, Rea family, Steve, Jarad, Vern & Julie and whoever else I have embarrassingly forgetten

Last edited:
Forthcoming work at the Flashes

Worcestershire Wildlife Trust notice:

"September 8th, 9th and 10th

Construction of a cattle pen and/or reed cutting may be undertaken Tuesday to Thursday between 9am and 5pm, subject to weather and machinery availability.

We apologise for any inconvenience if your viewing is disrupted. Please do visit the other half of the reserve - the Moors pools".

Car parking arrangements at the Sailing Centre

"Nature Reserve Car Park Opening Times

April 1st - September 30th 9am - 8pm
October 1st - March 31st 9am - 4pm

GATES WILL BE LOCKED AT ALL OTHER TIMES

If you are locked in please call 07833 253640
Do NOT park elsewhere at other times"

Not quite sure what to make of the final line; as far as I am aware the road from the roundabout to the gate is public highway and doesn't have any form of parking restriction (vehicles need to park sensibly and not block access to either gate). It is unrealistic to expect that people wont want to visit before 9am, especially during periods of passage when birds may only be present early in the morning. It is also unrealistic to expect people to park at the Moors Pool and walk will the way through. I can only assume that discussion regarding the overflow car park have come to nowt ..... :-C:C

Last edited:
As I will be in Stockport tomorrow cheering on Worcester City FC I did my own all-dayer today, logging 67 species in all. Highlights were the lone Barnacle Goose, Little Egret & 3 Barnacle Geese at the Moors Pool - hope they are all still there tomorrow - 2 Dunlin, 2 Green Sands, Common Sand, Avocet & 17 Curlews at the Flashes. Unfortunately there was no sign of either Dunlin at the end of the day.

Hi Andy - I assume you didn't mean to put Barnacle Goose twice; was one of the references to Wigeon or something else?

"Nature Reserve Car Park Opening Times

April 1st - September 30th 9am - 8pm
October 1st - March 31st 9am - 4pm

GATES WILL BE LOCKED AT ALL OTHER TIMES

If you are locked in please call 07833 253640
Do NOT park elsewhere at other times"

Not quite sure what to make of the final line; as far as I am aware the road from the roundabout to the gate is public highway and doesn't have any form of parking restriction (vehicles need to park sensibly and not block access to either gate). It is unrealistic to expect that people wont want to visit before 9am, especially during periods of passage when birds may only be present early in the morning. It is also unrealistic to expect people to park at the Moors Pool and walk will the way through. I can only assume that discussion regarding the overflow car park have come to nowt ..... :-C:C

I too was intrigued by the final line on the notice as it implies we can't park anywhere at all outside these times. Very restricting 😉

I understand that discussions have resulted in a positive solution, but don't know the full details so won't comment further in case I get it wrong!

I too was intrigued by the final line on the notice as it implies we can't park anywhere at all outside these times. Very restricting 😉

I understand that discussions have resulted in a positive solution, but don't know the full details so won't comment further in case I get it wrong!

If that is the case it would have been sensible if the positive solution was announced at the same time as the erection of this notice.

Dave J reports at the Flashes this morning:

Avocet, Dunlin, 2 Green Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper, 2 Yellow Wagtail, Coal Tit, Sedge Warbler and Lesser Whitethroat with a vismig watch producing 6 Raven, 200+ House Martin, 5 Sand Martin, 26 Swallow, 2 Swift, 16 Meadow Pipit and 12 Siskin.

Conditions look very good over the next ten days with winds either easterly or southerly with some showers at the end of the week and into next weekend. If anyone is able to check out the Flashes before the Trust's work commences each morning Tuesday to Thursday there could be a nice surprise awaiting!

Given that the Autumn All-Dayer is often the final date that certain summer visitors are reported, it would be useful if any further sightings of migrants are entered here or in the log books (save for Blackcap and Chiffchaff).

Last edited:
Enjoyable day yesterday, good to catch up with fellow birders, sounds like the other sites had a good day too. Here is 15 artistic photos (my quality) spot the otter, . I still didn't see Kingfisher. From dawn

Attachments

• IMG_2057.JPG
    IMG_2057.JPG
    292.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2063.JPG
    IMG_2063.JPG
    516.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2066.JPG
    IMG_2066.JPG
    480.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2068.JPG
    IMG_2068.JPG